Alex and Thetis

Joe-W4WT

Alex and Thetis

Postby Joe-W4WT » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:38 am

I see there is no button for Alex on Thetis nor can I find a way to turn "Alex" off. By Alex, I mean firmware control. With our old software turning off Alex (pressing the "Alex" Button next to Mox) disabled firmware control but without the button I can't seem to find a way to do it. I need to disable firmware control since I run an 8000 board but have the old 200D PA and antenna switching which has some different select sequences for 80 and 40m than the 7/8000.

Anyone know how to get out of "firmware" control with the latest Thetis? I did see that if I select another "radio", say 7000, then select the 200D again in General H/W Select, it seems to come out of firmware control until I try to select a different frequency then I hear a relay click and I'm back to no receive on 80 and 40m. If there is no way to get out of firmware control, this is a definite no-go for me.

Thanks,

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Re: Alex and Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Joe,

AFAIK, there is no longer a "firmware" control mechanism in Thetis/P2 firmware. IMHO this is a welcome change and the way things ought to work, as the operator should always be in full control of the preselector state.

I do, however, wish there was a button that would allow changing between preselector OFF (bypass) and ON states.

It would also be SUPER handy to have some sort of preselector annunciation on the main console that showed what BPFs and LPFs were currently in place.

At any rate, in Thetis/P2 all control of preselector and LPF states is now found exclusively in Setup > General > Ant/Filters.

Scott
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Gentlemen,
I did add the function of HPF disable (Alex disable) to the main screen, I also added a few more functions to the source code regarding the expanded window. I forwarded the changes to Doug some time back on the Alex disable but have not forwarded the latter additions. I also put in the code a function that the filtering is disabled when the “wb” button is selected. I hope in the future I can or someone else could install the function of automatically disabling the filters when the panadapter is selected at a large frequency swath. I am fairly a new learner in the code so I hope Doug check these additions out. I have been using these changes on my 8000 for quite some time and all seems good.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Joe, thanks so much for your effort! I have been contemplating the hardware changes I would need to make on the 200D PA board to accommodate 80, 40, and 30 meters under firmware control and didn't really want to do them so maybe I won't have to if Doug adopts your code. In the meantime, I'm back to protocol 1.

The current Thetis Beta seems very close now and has a lot of very nice features that are quite desirable. It obviously represents a lot of work and I commend the developers! In addition, v1.3 of the P2 firmware seems to be a big step up and I did not have any of the previous problems that were in 1.2 running it.

I hope Simon's code has a method to disengage firmware filter control too. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if it does or not. Perhaps I should ask to get on the beta list to check that out.

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Just to be clear: there is NO "firmware control" mode for preselection or LPFs in Protocol 2 firmware. It is wholly controlled by Thetis.
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:10 am

Ok, Scott, got it. The problem is still the fact that Thetis is doing EXACTLY what the firmware did using Protocol 1 with Alex ON as regards filter selection. What Thetis is NOT doing is honoring the selection of 200D in the Hardware selection menu as regards filter selections and instead, I assume, reading the firmware and seeing that it is Orion MKII and setting the filters according to that rather than the 200D selection. We can call it whatever we want but that is the issue for me.

Joe

Return to “Thetis”