Should I or not

SA3ATF

Should I or not

Postby SA3ATF » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:14 am

Hello to you all!

Have been thinking about replacing HF rig for a long time. I have my faithful Flex 3000 and 5000 which I am very pleased with especially after KE9N's further development. But would like to renew me a bit and play with newer stuff. Recently came an extremely interesting thing for me in your software which is very much better eq and compressor etc because I am an audio freak.
The question is then whether it is worth updating to an Anan 7000 or an 8000?
I do nothing with the extra power of 8000 when I drive an Acom1000 to everyday.
Please help me to reveal the pros and cons of this adventure.

Thank you in advance / Tommy - SA3ATF
I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it!
SA3ATF

Re: Should I or not

Postby SA3ATF » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:30 am

Maybe I'll say I'm more a "rag shewing guy" than contest, though, of course, DX runs between the yards.
Loves audio and has previously had several meters of rack gadgets, but since the Flex I've run "barefoot", which has worked well with thoughts on the reports I received.
However, would like to go one step further and with newer technologies, etc.

Thank you for every reply!
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 am

Using an Anan 100 here and the audio tools are excellent . Why not start with a second hand 100 or 100d which are great buys at the moment.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Downside: you are going to miss some of the really wonderful features that KE9NS has imbued the legacy version of PowerSDR with. You will miss tracking notch filters.

Upsides (plural ;) ):

You will get built in audio features the likes of which you have never seen or heard. On the transmit side there is no cleaner audio in the business. You will have more processing power than even a lot of guys with rack gear, it's really that good. The best ALC in the business, too (it's a look-ahead soft limiter, not a clipper like you are used to in the old, legacy PowerSDR).

On receive you will get the best noise reduction feature, bar none. NR2 mode has to be heard to be believed.

The receiver sensitivity will be quite a few more dB then you are used to. Be sure to keep both dither and random turned on for best IP3 performance.

And, the ultimate improvement in audio and signal quality, PureSignal adaptive predistortion linearization. You will want to invest in a proper high power coupler to run this with your external amp, if you have one.

As for hardware, I'd wait for the 7000. It has more signal routing features than the 8000, it smaller, lighter, very few people really need a 200W radio, and the amp will have a more stable, temperature compensated bias supply. It should also prove to be less fussy than the LDMOS topology in the 8000 with respect to auto-tuners, if you use one. There may be other, as yet unannounced, advantages.

Scott

P.S. moving this thread, it really doesn't belong in a firmware sub-forum.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi Tommy,

As a long time user of a Flex 5000 I have to say that I had tons of fun with mine. That being said, it would be unfair to compare the Flex 5000 with any of the ANAN rigs because they are in very different classes. The direct sampling ANAN rigs with the enhanced CFC Audio Tools and adaptive predistortion linearization will run circles around anything else out there. You can spot the ANAN rigs on a panadapter because they are the cleanest signals on the band and when the TX audio chain is adjusted optimally they sound spectacular. You really can make your ANAN sound exactly how you want it to sound if you work your way through the setup steps.

As much as I enjoyed my Flex 5000 there is absolutely no way that I would leave my ANAN rig to go back to it! One quirk in the Flex 5000 hardware that pushed me to the ANAN was the leaky LO that created a very nasty spur 11 kHz below the transmitted frequency on AM. This was an enormous problem in the northeast area of the US where there is lots of AM activity on 3885 and 3875 all the time. If I was operating on 3885 that spur would obliterate the QSO that was on 3875. Likewise, if I was on 3875, it would obliterate the sideband group that used 3865 daily. Every Flex 5000 generates this spur and I have quite a collection of screenshots that I shared with the guys from Flex back in 2014. The screenshot below shows a Flex 5000 owned by a friend I speak with on 15 meters. As you can see, that spur is only about 38 dB down from the fundamental signal, which is certainly not compliant with our emission purity requirements here in the US.

You won't find any of that nonsense with the ANAN rigs! As Tony suggested, there are quite a few used ANAN-100D and ANAN-200D rigs out there as folks begin to queue up for the arrival of the ANAN-7000 series rigs. Back in April I was able to buy a one month old ANAN-200D for less than I paid for my ANAN-100 back in 2014. A Revision 24 ANAN-100D or 200D would be a nice way to move up!

Rob W1AEX

Leaky LO spurious emission transmitted by a friend's Flex 5000 during a QSO on 15 meters. This was received and displayed with my ANAN-100.
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
SA3ATF

Postby SA3ATF » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed answers you gave me!
Your input has really got me in the right direction.
I have after this and with various speculation back and forth with my friend SM4PEL Peter here in Sweden, having a 100D found that there will be an Anan radio for me too.
Really looking forward to it and promising to return what I think when I have one.
Unless otherwise, I will surely ask you a lot of stupid questions :lol:

73's Tommy
sa3atf

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”