Using VAC1 audio out with VOX

rbduck

Using VAC1 audio out with VOX

Postby rbduck » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:27 pm

So far I've managed to work through most of my questions and quandaries by reading and searching the forum. You guys a great wealth of knowledge and I appreciate all the hard work you've done.

OK, I have my 7000DLE MKII (black) wired for audio by taking it from the audio stream that routes through my desktop computer. I have the output of the computer sound card to my stereo amplifier. To accomplish this I have to turn VAC 1 on. When I press the PTT (space bar on the keyboard) the audio mutes to the speakers. So far so good.

My question is that with my current configuration is it possible to use VOX? I've discovered that I have been unable to get VOX to work with VAC1 turned on. VOX works normally with VAC1 turned off off. I have tried routing the settings in the VAC1 setup to no avail. If there is no way to use VOX in this configuration I can take the output from the headphone jack and route it directly to the audio amplifier. Is there something I'm missing?

I do realize that the outputs on the back of the radio are actual 3 watt speaker outputs. I haven't tried connecting speakers there yet. I've had to order some regular 1/4 inch stereo (tip and ring) phone jacks. Thank you for your time.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Re: Using VAC1 audio out with VOX

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:59 am

VOX works fine with VAC1 audio I/O, with both PowerSDR mRX and Thetis. Been running that way for years.

Post screen shots of your main console UI and VAC1 settings when using VOX.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:20 pm

Thank you Scott. It may be a day or two before I can get back to it. I will post screen captures as soon as I can. It's most likely my lack of experience with Virtual Audio Cables. I'll be back ASAP.
Ruben
NB4R
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Alright, I've done more searching and reading trying to solve this on my on. I have a tendency to remember it longer or at least remember where I need to go to stir my memory. I haven't solved it yet, but it brings up questions. This goes back to my being new to virtual audio cables. Here are shots of my main screen and VAC1 setup screen.

I've also read through your Virtual Audio Cable tutorial, but I need to read it a few more times to fully absorb the information. I am at this moment still trying and not sitting back on my haunches waiting to be spoon fed. Thanks!
Ruben
NB4R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Ah, you are using Thetis. Not seeing any problems in your screen shots so far. Please also post a screen shot of Setup > DSP > VOX/DE.

This definitely works. It's either a strange settings problem or you'll need to start with a completely fresh database.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Ahh. Here is the shot of my Setup>DSP>VOX/DE screen. If you don't see anything obvious I will start again with a fresh database. In my learning experience there is no telling what setting I may have selected that might be affecting this. That is a very good idea anyway. I assume I press "Reset Database" to start anew? Practice makes perfect. I don't start getting irritated until the fourth or fifth reset. I will wait on your replay before I proceed. Thanks again!

Ruben
NB4R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:24 pm

This shouldn't matter, but select "Use VAC Audio" in the Anti-VOX section just to dot that "i".

Also, if you are using speakers, I recommend turning on Anti-VOX and setting Anti-VOX gain to -20 as a staring point.

Lastly, and this is a little disturbing, your main UI is showing DEXP turned on, but the setup screen is showing it turned off. If there is a mismatch between those two indications that could be evidence of a corrupt database. In either case, I recommend it be turned on by default and start with the default settings.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:36 pm

O I'm sorry. there is no mismatch between the main UI and the settings screen. I was trying different things and when I captured the screen I had just just changed. I made the "Use VAC Audio" selection with no change in how the VOX acts. It's strange that with VAC1 turned off VOX works great. I will go ahead and reset the database. Would you recommend uninstalling and installing Thetis again? Or, would just resetting the database enough?
Ruben
NB4R
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:13 pm

OK. I'm not patient today and couldn't wait. I uninstalled Thetis and reinstalled it . There is no data or settings from the previous install that I can tell. I set drive to zero. Turned VOX and DEXP plus Anti VOX. I spoke into the microphone and got no transmit. Turned VAC! off and spoke into the microphone. VOX worked perfectly. I do have the microphone plugged into the front of the radio. Maybe that's the issue?

Last edited by rbduck on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben
NB4R
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:43 pm

AAAAnnnnnnnnDDDDDD...the issue has been resolved. I plugged the microphone into the PC and set it up . The VOX works perfectly. I feel bad that I didn't see it earlier. What gave me a clue was that you said initially the setup looked good. I went back through one item at a time and questioned just where the sound was routed. When I looked at the Input "Line in (Conexant HD Audio)" I thought. That's not where the mic was plugged into. I knew and I said I had one small thing wrong and it was simple to fix after I realized what it was.

Now to go back through the transmit audio setup It may not be that different. I do have a place to start.

Thank you for the clue I missed earlier. I did save my database before I wiped it all out. Thanks Scott...Have a great day!
Ruben
NB4R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:15 am

Ha, ha! I had just assumed you were using VAC for the TX audio. Obviously VAC1 VOX only works for VAC1 TX audio.

Glad you got it sorted.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”