2.6.8 Slowwwwww to start

N8ME

2.6.8 Slowwwwww to start

Postby N8ME » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:50 pm

I just upgraded my 7000 DLE (Blue case) to Protocol_2_v2.0_pre2.rbf and installed Thetis v2.6.8.0.

When I launch Thetis, the splash screen takes about 90 seconds for the progress bar to complete, then the splash screen fades out. After that, its another 80 seconds before the main screen is displayed. When I shut down the program, a message flashes briefly (can't read it). When I start the next time, with the same delay, the main screen is displayed, but none of the changes I made in the previous session seem to be remembered.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro (Build 1903) on a fast I7 with lots of RAM.

What did I do wrong? I'm guessing there is a problem with the database. While prior to this install of P2, I was running P1, but I had installed P2 briefly a while back, but couldn't find a stable setup.

Mark, N8ME
w-u-2-o

Re: 2.6.8 Slowwwwww to start

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:41 am

Did you try running from a new (reset) database?
EA1DAV

Postby EA1DAV » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:23 am

I do a fresh install of 2.6.8, the lattest ( 11/3/19). My hardware is anan 100D and firmware 11.6. I tested all Richie versions and working fine prior to this release. With this version when I start the radio from a reset database, and prior to change parameters in setup ( radio audio etc ) it work with the default Hermes board setup. Audio is not too good, but the spectrum display the radio signals. When i setup the Anan 100D, put the correct fix IP, only this 2 changes, nothing work in the audio and panadapter, radion don't respond.

Sorry for my bad english i try to explain as better as I can.

Regards.

Jesus

(Is this the rigth place for this message? )
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:32 am

no not the right place really, but some of reply might help original post by Mark as well.

1) shutdown thetis
2) make backup your database file from %appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Thetis\database.xml somewhere
3) rename %appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Thetis\database.xml to something else, like OLDdatabase.xml
4) restart thetis
5) go to setup, pick radio, set ip, click OK
6) Shutdown thetis
7) restart Thetis and see if it works. If you cannot connect to radio at this point then perhaps Ip is incorrect

Richie.
N8ME

Postby N8ME » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:25 pm

I tried renaming the database file. The startup is still slow. I tried uninstall / reinstall. No luck. One thing I noticed is that after the reinstall, the FFTW wisdom process did not run. It must be remembering something from before. Is there a way I can get rid of everything from the previous install(s) and start from a clean setup?

As a test, I installed Thetis 2.6.8 on the other shack computer. It has never had Thetis installed. It may have never had PowerSDR installed. It is way underpowered for these apps. The install completed, although the FFTW wisdom process took the better part of an hour. When I launch Thetis is comes up in about 30 seconds (as opposed to 2 minutes 40 seconds on this computer). Thetis actually runs on this other computer, but it's running at 100% CPU. Even so, the receive audio sounds pretty clean.

I did notice a flashing red square at the top left of the panafall display on this computer, and occasionally, a red text message briefly flashed in the status line below the panafall, but it flashed so quickly that I couldn't read it. Are these symptoms of an overworked PC not being able to keep up?

Mark
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi Mark,

Thetis stores all of its files into two folders which can be found at the paths shown below. It you clean out both of the Thetis folders, or rename them, then run the installation for Thetis it will be all brand new. The Wisdom file(s) are located in the Users path Thetis folder, so if you want to run the FFT process again, delete them and the FFT calculations will run when you do an install.

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenHPSDR\Thetis

2. C:\Users\Your LOGIN Name\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis

The flashing red square is a nice indicator that Richie provided to let you know that your fps setting for the Main Display FPS is set too high for your system to handle. Set it lower (in the upper left of the Display form in the menu) until the little red square stops flashing.

Your description of the red text flashing in the status line sounds like a <seq error> which you can check by looking at the SEQ Log located in the lower left of the Tests form in the menu.

Hope that helps,

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi Mark,

Uninstall through Add/Remove programs
after that is done...
delete folder C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR
delete folder C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenHPSDR\Thetis
Re-install

I am not aware of anything else that needs to be removed for a clean install. Perhaps Scott could confirm.

Ref the red box. That is an indicator that frames are being missed, and your PC is potentially overloaded drawing the screen. Reduce the frames per second in Setup->Display until the red box goes away, you might be able to use DirectX engine which will help depending on your hardware, also in Setup->Display. Turn your fps down, at least 5 frames or so after the red box stops showing.

Ref the text flashing up, that is a sequence error showing that packets are being lost from your radio to your pc. You can get packet number info from Setup->Tests->Show SEQ Log.

Edit: thanks Rob :)

Richie.

Return to “Thetis”