Importing PowerSDR database into Thetis

dieseldawg

Importing PowerSDR database into Thetis

Postby dieseldawg » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 pm

Is anyone aware of a way to import a PowerSDR database into Thetis, or are there differences that make this impossible or too difficult?

Greg
N8MW
w-u-2-o

Re: Importing PowerSDR database into Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Greg,

There is no reliable way to do this. Sometime you can do it and get lucky. Other times not so lucky. It depends on so many factors that it is literally impossible to predict with any success.

If you are really good at editing XML data files, you can use an editor like Notepad++ to directly move portions of PowerSDR database file into the new Thetis file, but it's probably more work than just starting from scratch.

You can have some success exporting transmit profiles and then importing them. Since these tend to be among the most complex parts of the setup, this is usually worth it. The same is true with MIDI setups.

I can tell you that after having gone through several versions of Thetis betas, I myself am getting ready to completely rebuild the database from scratch. I will only export and reimport the transmit profiles and the MIDI setups. To facilitate this, I will be making screenshots of the 40 setup screens. Also, don't forget you will lose any custom filter presets and all of your band stacks. These will also need to be recreated.

After all that negativity, however, it is always worth trying it, because you can get lucky, and if you do it can save you a lot of time. Still, sometimes you find some weird behavior later on, and ultimately you wind up having to do it over anyway, so be on the lookout for that.

At least the good news is that you only have to do this once in a while. There was a time when you had to do this for EVERY new version of software.

Scott
dieseldawg

Re: Importing PowerSDR database into Thetis

Postby dieseldawg » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks Scott. I concluded that the setup xml file is too complex to try to edit it directly. Some single entry changes might make sense, but not en mass change. I resorted to comparing the PowerSDR screens to the Thetis screens one by one, and making changers to Thetis to match the PowerSDR scrheens. Evien this is not entirely straightforward because the settings screens are not identical. I did the same with the equalizer and CFC settings. Now I have it in Thetis and can make changes there.

Thanks.

Greg

Return to “Thetis”