My Mods to Thetis v.2.6.7

ramdor

My Mods to Thetis v.2.6.7

Postby ramdor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 am

Hi all,

So as a very happy owner (~2 weeks) of a 7000dleMK2 running P2 v1.2_pre1 and Thetis_2.6.7 I decided to take a look at the project in Visual Studio 2019 and perhaps make some changes.

A friend had mentioned that he would like RX1 smeter to be larger so I figured it would be a way to get a feel for the Thetis project code.

Anyway, after a couple of hours (more like days) I had made the following changes :

a) Added double click to stereo PAN sliders to recenter them
b) Attempted to improve redraw rate of the controls on main screen
c) Fill the space to the right for VFOB panel with auto resizing RX1 Meter
d) Updated ORIGINAL meter to use text scale from EDGE meter, and remove the string/text box solution
e) Centralised duplicate code for RX1/RX2 ORIGINAL meter code into one function called from both places (should really do this for Edge as well eventually)

new_original.JPG
new_original.JPG (18.85 KiB) Viewed 17268 times

resize_edge.JPG
resize_edge.JPG (18.61 KiB) Viewed 17268 times

b) is the most awkward. Using transparent controls doesnt help matters either, but does allow for nice looking interface. I may add an option to fill the backgrounds of all controls, which would then require a suitable skin. As far as I can tell, the main culprit for slow redraw is ResizeConsole(), but a quick two line addition to delay repaint until all controls have been moved has improved things slightly.

I made a quick vid to show the changes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbAjd1873lI

So there we have it, a bit of fun and a couple of changes that seem to be working ok here at least.

Cheers, Richie - MW0LGE.
w-u-2-o

Re: My Mods to Thetis v.2.6.7

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:29 pm

Oh, man, I'm in love! Somebody who is working on UI issues! This is great!

@ramdor: Richie, have you submitted these mod's to Doug, W5WC, for the next release? If not, would you, please?

Also, would you mind making available your version for download, perhaps by a public DropBox link or equivalent, or a Git repo? An installer is not necessary, just a folder with the binary and other required files would be fine.

Thanks & 73!

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi Scott,

I will drop Doug the source over the next week or so after I have time to tidy/comment my changes.

I have sent you a PM ref the exe.

Cheers, Richie.
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:55 pm

I submitted a simple patch to fix autostart back in April and it hasn't been accepted yet.
I guess Doug is busy.

https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Thetis/pull/6
Mike W9MDB
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:09 pm

Looks interesting Richie! I definitely echo Scott's enthusiasm for your efforts in the UI area!

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:38 am

ok, have been somewhat busy :)

• Managed to get dual parafall displays in. Quite a bit of work/changes to make that happen. First pass on this.
  • Fixed a bunch of other things that have cropped up including band limits for the UK, and displaying band edges correctly outside the US.
  • I have added colour/alpha fill option to the panadapter data.
  • A new check box to disable picDisplay.png (you could manually rename picDisplay.png from skin folder). Having a stretched background image in the panadisplay has quite a big impact on refresh rates.
  • RX2 now no longer increases window size unless necessary
  • Progress bar flicker fixed

Next on the list is to work on the clickdragtune stuff on rx2 panafall, and look at getting the notch display stuff working.

There are so many changes now to the source that I might be an issue for me to work out the git hub changes, but I will do my best in a couple of days.

73 Richie - MW0LGE

dualPanaFall.JPG
dualPanaFall.JPG (276.14 KiB) Viewed 17188 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Fabulous, really great work! Thank you!
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm

This is really great! You have some enthusiastic beta testers if you need them!
Gary NC3Z
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:53 pm

I belatedly proclaim my enthusiasm for your interest in improving the UI, Richie!

I too would be willing to beta-test anything you'd care to send.

73, John
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi all,

Sorry for lack of replies but I have been up to my elbows in code, lol.

All my changes have gone through to Doug now so after he has patched it all in we should see a beta/release at some point. After the next release I will be sorting a few things out with panadaptor/panafall max/min scales as there are a couple of issues, a couple of problems with the collapsed display, and implementing GUI methods to add/remove/edit notches.... and... and....

If you fancy playing/testing my latest exe build drop me a PM and I can send a link over, but I make no promises that things wont go wrong :shock: A few people are using it without issue.

73 for now.

Richie - MW0LGE
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Thanks for the work on this Richie
SM4PEL.

Postby SM4PEL. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:59 am

Great news Richie. :)
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:40 am

ramdor wrote:Hi all,

If you fancy playing/testing my latest exe build drop me a PM and I can send a link over, but I make no promises that things wont go wrong :shock: A few people are using it without issue.

Hi Richie,

the two PM's didn't get trough to you. I would like to try your Thetis-mod and would be happy to get a link to it.

73, Norbert
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm

Richie,

Likewise, same as Norbert, it looks like my PM also did not get through. I would be interested in giving your Thetis build a run!

Rob - W1AEX
Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:56 pm

I am just asking if someone would be interested in checking out some changes I made inThetis as well. It is still a work in progress at this point. I added a drop down box to select BPF1 or BPF2 or both to disable, it also disables BPF1 automatically when wideband is selected - at this time though you have to manually re-enable the drop down checkbox for BPF1 after wideband is closed if you want the filtering engaged; I hope to get this working automatically in the future. I also added the slider values on the collapsed screen, I preferred to be able to see values along with the sliders, I still need to adjust positions because if you grab the screen edges and minimize the size all the way the positions overlap, I never saw this because I always use a maximized screen. I have been using this version for quite some time without major issues. Anyway, just wanted to post as I have the project in my Dropbox and if someone is interested let me know.

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
joetorrey@cablelynx.com
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 pm

Odd my PM also did not go through, very much interested in testing.
Gary NC3Z
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi all,

I have replied to the PM's, sorry for the delay, I have been somewhat snowed under with this and that. Things are on hold with me now until at least mid/end of Sept as I have so much on, but all changes have been forwarded off to Doug earlier today.

73 for now, Richie.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:03 am

Really like the new features! panafall for RX2 has been sorely missing and now back s it should be!

If you want some anomaly reports:

Appearance > Collapsible Display
If you are on the default GUI and select the Band Controls or Mode Controls boxes it takes away Band or Mode from the Menu line.

I am assuming you still have a lot of work to do on the Collapsed screen Andromeda. Several formatting issues in the GUI.

Love the bigger RX1 meter, any plans to do that for RX2?

General > Options > Misc
Selecting Show CT H Line does show the cross hairs but if you uncheck Show CT Filter the cross hairs are removed.

Sometimes I get ghosting of mode buttons behind the TX section of the GUI. A simple minimize and restore clears it up.

Suggestions:
When in WB mode could you add a button on the WB display to disable Alex?

I am sure there are more to report but am finding many new cool things.
Gary NC3Z
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:02 am

Hi Gary,

NC3Z wrote:Appearance > Collapsible Display
If you are on the default GUI and select the Band Controls or Mode Controls boxes it takes away Band or Mode from the Menu line.

afaik I think this is because the buttons are now there the menu items become unnecessary. I think this was existing functionality to reduce unnecessary clutter from the menu.

I am assuming you still have a lot of work to do on the Collapsed screen Andromeda. Several formatting issues in the GUI.

This is being looked at/coded by Laurence and just happened to be included in the test exe. There is probably feedback/changes that he might be needed when Doug releases a public build at some point. Perhaps you could do an annotated screen grab and give him some feedback?

Love the bigger RX1 meter, any plans to do that for RX2?

I am sure we we look at the meters at some point down the line and perhaps add a couple more. Standardising/mirroring the layout is certainly on the drawing board :)

General > Options > Misc
Selecting Show CT H Line does show the cross hairs but if you uncheck Show CT Filter the cross hairs are removed.

Not really looked at this, but from memory CT filter draws the vertical portion, and the CT H only draws the horizontal. The horizontal is only shown if the vertical is shown. Perhaps they need separating so that just a H line can be used, hmm.

Sometimes I get ghosting of mode buttons behind the TX section of the GUI. A simple minimize and restore clears it up.

Yes I have noticed this, added to the todo list. It is the mode button group for RX2 not re-positioning correctly when coming out of collapsed view.

Suggestions:
When in WB mode could you add a button on the WB display to disable Alex?

I think Doug is working on some stuff relating to BPFs/LPF switching, not 100% though. I will pass this on.

I am sure there are more to report but am finding many new cool things.

Next on my list is to add a gui interface (click panadaptor etc) to add/edit/remove notch filters, but I will not be starting to look at this until the end of the month. There are still things to sort out for sure, bugs to squash etc, but things are improving (hopefully) :)

73 Richie.
Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Gary,
I sent Doug some code changes as well, part of it was a dropdown box for selection of disabling the BPF filters. All works good but I wanted the BPF for the wideband mode to auto select bypassed when you open the wideband form which it does with exception that is does not revert automatically to BPF back on when you close the wideband screen. As far as manual selection from the main screen all works good. I had some other changes as well but still working on the auto bypass BPF closing on wideband screen close.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:18 am

Thank you, Joe and Richie, for the work on the gui. That will make things easier for Doug.
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Joe wrote:Gary,
I sent Doug some code changes as well, part of it was a dropdown box for selection of disabling the BPF filters.

Yes I see this in the new 2.6.8 that was just posted on GitHub, cools stuff guys!
Gary NC3Z
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Yes indeed! I just installed v2.6.8 and it's running fine. You will have to update Microsoft Net Framework to v4.8.0 (or later) and do a restart but that goes in smoothly. I haven't given it a complete shakedown yet but an initial check of the major features indicates a beautiful update.

Looks pretty!

Rob W1AEX

w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm

What is the github link for this?
I don't see it on the main page here
https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Thetis

de Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm

New call sign EA3CL
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 pm

ea3aqr wrote:https://github.com/w5wc/Thetis/releases/tag/v2.6.8

Cheater! :D Just kidding ;)

Formal release coming soon!
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 pm

it's not me... Just found the link doing a Google search... :D

I'm rolling back to 2.6.7. New build corrupted my database 3 time just tring to set up my settings.

Waiting for the "formal release".
New call sign EA3CL
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 pm

I had to do a database reset. My ANAN 100 setup was corrupted too and couldn't find the rig anymore.
Mike W9MDB
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Me too... but after a database reset, crashed again when doing config for the second and thrird time.

Rolling back until a stable release!
New call sign EA3CL
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Joe (WD5Y)

Thanks for the implementation of the Bypass dropdown from the top menu and also the auto select of bypass with WB enabled. I can hear the relay click when I enable the WB display and it clicks again when I shutdown the WB display. Very slick!

Rob W1AEX

Return to “Thetis”