Orion MK II alone swr protection

LU2FAF

Orion MK II alone swr protection

Postby LU2FAF » Tue May 21, 2019 3:35 am

I own single board orion MKII,
Is there any swr protection included on that board?
I need info about the Orion MkII alone
all the info i see correspond to 7000dle and 8000dle
Also I don't know what exactly adds to the orion besides the bpf TR/Switch displays , pa, etc. Maybe a protection ?, maybe something to show the real swr value?

I see the swr report is wrong, is there a software to test the swr ?, I tried thetis and sdr console, since i'm using procotol 2

anyone is building a hpsdr using apache labs's hermes ?

Thankyou
w-u-2-o

Re: Orion MK II alone swr protection

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 21, 2019 3:11 pm

The only protection on the RF inputs to all of the board designs from the Hermes to the Orion MKII is a set of protection diodes, as shown in the schematic snippet below.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (31.26 KiB) Viewed 4353 times

If you own an Orion MKII you can contact the factory for the full schematic.

There is no protection at all on the RF filter boards.

Forward and reflected power are sensed on the RF filter boards and the voltages sent over to the SDR board. Without this external circuitry the Orion MKII board cannot provide power or SWR sensing by itself. The schematics for the 7000 and 8000 are not available except directly from the factory, but you can look at the 200D schematics to see how this is done, it has not changed appreciably. See the "schematics" section of this forum.

Scott
LU2FAF

Postby LU2FAF » Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 am

Thank you,
What about the tx out ?
with just 2watts got any protection on swr ?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed May 22, 2019 3:05 am

No, there are no protective features on the RF output hardware, either. The software has the ability to cut back RF output power, but only if provided with reliable and accurate forward and reverse power signals from a compatible external sensing circuit.

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”