Audio record doesn't work at all in v3.4.9?

N7CXI

Audio record doesn't work at all in v3.4.9?

Postby N7CXI » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:12 am

I just tried using PowerSDR mRx v3.4.9 to record RX1 receiver audio from an Angelia board.
It appeared to work and wrote the expected WAV file to the disk, except it was written as all zeroes - no sample excursion at all.

I tried different sample rates and bit depths, turning VAC off and a few other things. I even un-installed the app, deleted the Appdata folder(s) and re-installed, same thing.

What I haven't done is tried a different machine. This one has various versions of Portaudio on it, as well as any number of other audio libs, since I use it for a dev box.

Any ideas? It certainly could be something silly on my part; I haven't used PowerSDR regularly in quite a while.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Re: Audio record doesn't work at all in v3.4.9?

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:03 am

I'm not a user of that feature and am unfamiliar with it. However, a quick search of the forum here found this thread, which might have the answer to your question in it:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2620&p=4613
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:50 am

Thanks for the reply.
No, that thread doesn't cover the feature not working at all - regardless of mode.

I believe it's as I feared, though. I loaded v3.4.9 on a different machine and the recording feature works.

Unless someone here is familiar enough with the sources to know what libs are used, I'll probably need to download the sources and see what gets called.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:58 pm

This seems to suggest a bad database, not some deficiency in the operating system, .net framework, etc.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks, Scott.
I wish it was just that. I un-installed v3.4.9 , deleted all files and sub-folders in the roaming profile folders and re-installed with the same results.

I may have some time tomorrow to fiddle with it; if I find root cause I'll post it back to this thread for posterity.

Jim N7CXI
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:06 pm

This is a strange one Jim. Is this the Quick REC and PLAY device or the recorder in the Wav menu box? I'm curious if it has the same issue if you try to make an I/Q recording. Also, do you have a copy of the free "Audacity" wav and mp3 editor on your machine? It would be interesting to see if your Windows installation allows that software to create a wav file using the same parameters that OpenHPSDR uses by default.

Rob
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 am

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the reply.

This is from either the WAV menu or Quick Record buttons. Neither work for audio recording.
I haven't tried I/Q yet, I'll be away from the rig until tomorrow night - I'll try it then.

Yes, Audacity works, as do other audio apps and my own PC-based SDR code. All of the above use PortAudio, AFAIK... I was a little concerned that there are version differences, and I've made a few tweaks to the version I compile myself, although it isn't in a common folder. ??

I have a number of audio devices attached to the machine, both ASIO and not, some run better with MME or DirectSound drivers, but all will record at all common sample rates, container sizes and bit depths.

It's a bit of a head scratcher... Note I'm using a "bare" Angelia board so have all the GPIO turned off at the moment, as well as various PA options. Some of those I'll re-enable later when I get the Pennywhistle 20W driver amp, antenna relay board, LPF's etc installed in the cabinet.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi Jim,

This smells like a classic database.xml corruption problem, but apparently you have eliminated that possibility by deleting the Roaming sub folders. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to explicitly delete your database.xml file again, just to make sure.

I can only offer the fact that the record feature works fine here on PowerSDR 3.4.9.

In answer to your earlier question, the RX audio streams are picked off for recording in the Callback3Port method in the audio.cs file. Where it goes after that, I never bothered to look. But you can start there.

73, Bryan W4WMT
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:39 am

Bryan,
I apologize for disappearing. "It got busy out" is the best I can do.

Now that I just bought an 8000DLE, I fully intend to get to the bottom of this. PowerSDR otherwise is working fine with the 8000, so I shall endeavor to find root cause.

Thanks for the help and 73,
Jim N7CXI

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”