MIDI Control

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
Glasgow

MIDI Control

Postby Glasgow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:23 pm

I want to hook up a MIDI controller to my ANAN-10. I figured all I'd have to do was buy the controller, a Behringer CMD Studio 2A, hook it up to the radio, and program it using the instructions provided in Scott's YouTube video. Nope, not that simple. Apparently the controller and the radio are not talking. I'm getting some sort of Hamlib error message. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Harry K1RSA
w-u-2-o

Re: MIDI Control

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:05 pm

First of all, this needs to be posted in the MIDI sub-forum, so I am moving it there.

Second, hamlib has nothing to do with MIDI. You are confusing your apples and oranges somehow.

You do have the Behringer plugged into a USB port on your PC, correct?

You did load the MIDI driver software you got from Behringer properly AFTER you plugged the controller into the computer, right?
Glasgow

Postby Glasgow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:51 pm

My ignorance is on full display here. First, I did not know there was a MIDI forum. Second, I did mix-up programs when I spoke of the Hamlib error. Last night I was also trying to get FT8 going, along with the MIDI controller, and that is where Hamlib showed up. I do apologize for the confusion. It was totally on this end.
Behringer did not supply any software with the controller so I was forced to RTFM. The horror! I finally read of installing the latest drivers, followed the directions, and dang, it works! I guess I cannot believe Microsoft when they say they detected new hardware and tell me it is ready to run.
Thanks Scott. Sorry for being such a PITA.
Harry K1RSA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Glad you got it working, enjoy your new MIDI controller! :)

P.S. I'm not really smart, I'm just an RTFM kind of guy, so I would be very good on a ham radio version of Jeopardy. ;)
Glasgow

Postby Glasgow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 am

Perhaps I spoke too soon. If I put the computer in sleep mode and then go back to using the radio, the MIDI controls do not work. I tried shutting down the program and restarting it but it was still a no-go. I have to reboot the computer to get the MIDI going again. I suspect it is a Microsoft issue? Can anyone help?

Harry K1RSA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 am

It's not a Microsoft issue. I think, but am not certain because I never do what you are doing, that you need to change the power management settings on the USB ports such that devices are re-registered coming out of sleep. Or it could be a Behringer issue. You'll have to look through the advanced power management settings in the appropriate Windows control panel and see if anything is relevant.

Failing that, have you tried simply unplugging and plugging back in the Behringer so it re-registers with the system after coming out of sleep?
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Harry,

I'm using the Behringer Command 2A - love it .... I found early on that I had to, on boot up, have the MIDI panel unplugged (the USB cable at the box), always start PSDR, then when it is up and running start WSJT, then end with plugging the USB cable in to the Behringer and going to the PSDR panel for MIDI and starting it. With that sequence I don't have any issues. If I bring up MIDI before I bring up WSJT or have the USB cable plugged in earlier I have issues.

just a thought.

Gary
K9RX

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”