ANAN 7000/8000 and MMTTY

DL5RBW

ANAN 7000/8000 and MMTTY

Postby DL5RBW » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Does somebody run this combination (see subject) and could give an explanation of how it is set up? I am using PowerSDR mrx software and would like to also include my favourite nostalgia mode - RTTY!

N1MM according to other posts here is obviously working however I think that it is an overkill for a non-contester like me. A package with basic operation possibilities is enough for me in other words DXing and casual QSOs is all I need. Sure MMTTY offers much more than that but is probably the most basic software available these days. So far I was using a HAL ST-6000 converter and WinDSRTTY (DON´T laugh!) but I don´t think WinDSRTTY (which I am familiar with) is compatible with the ANAN.

Any suggestions or better solutions?

Thanks!
w-u-2-o

Re: ANAN 7000/8000 and MMTTY

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Are you familiar with virtual audio cable setup?

Are you familiar with virtual serial cable setup?

Those are the basic elements of integrating any digital mode software, including MMTTY.

Just trying to see if you are starting in the basement or on the first floor, so to speak.

73!

Scott
DL5RBW

Postby DL5RBW » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:28 pm

I am not familiar with setting up VAC however read the tutorial (don´t remember whether it was SDRzone or somewhere else) and also have the kind support of people who are familiar with setting up computers (although no hams). Me personally I am starting at the basement level................

So from your reply I take that MMTTY can be integrated and the question is "how"? If the answer is yes then I will continue with obtaining VAC and installing MMTTY. I just don´t want to run in the wrong direction with RTTY software that doesn´t work-
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:21 pm

MMTTY is probably the least friendly RTTY program. BUT the flip side of that is it is also the most adjustable, and has the best decoding of anything I've ever used. The other caveat on MMTTY is that it is so old that it will require you to set up a virtual serial port pair using relatively low numbered COM ports, preferably in the single digit range, e.g. COM5 and COM6, as it does not support COM ports numbered above 16 or something like that.

Fldigi is another very popular program. It supports a great many digital mode modulations as well as RTTY. It is more modern and easier to use. You can certainly install that as well, try it and see if you like it better. It will use the same virtual audio and serial cables you set up for MMTTY so you won't have to duplicate anything.

A couple of quick "whys", since we are in a foundational learning mode here...

Why VAC? Because there has to be audio passed bidirectionally between MMTTY and PowerSDR, and because otherwise you would have to install two physical sound cards or interfaces in your PC, assign one each to PowerSDR and MMTTY, and then make physical patch cables to wire them together.

Why virtual serial ports? Because it is via a serial CAT connection that PTT and VFO information is sent between PowerSDR and MMTTY, and because otherwise you would have to install two serial ports in your PC, assign one each to PowerSDR and MMTTY, and then make a null modem cable to connect them.

My VAC tutorial can be found here:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2655

As for virtual serial port software, there are three choices: com0com, VSPM and VSPE. The latter is not free, but it is my recommended choice given its superior stability. In any of them you need to set up a serial port pair, assign one of the pair in PowerSDR CAT setup, and the other one the pair in MMTTY.

I have no step by step guide for MMTTY, but that should be enough to make you dangerous. Certainly come back with any questions. Be prepared to post screen shots of your setup to aid in debugging any problems. Youtube can be helpful, although I could not find any MMTTY--PowerSDR videos that I thought were any good.
DL5RBW

Postby DL5RBW » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi Scott,

thanks for your detailed reply. I am not focused on MMTTY but it was recommended by one of our local RTTY contesters. FLDigi was something I stumbled across as well and as you suggest it it may be the better choice. It also seems that it is updated in short intervals so it definitely is up to date.

Thanks also for the hint with the virtual serial ports for PTT and VFO info - I didn´t consider this but of course now as you mentioned it it makes sense.

I am not sure whether I got the right picture yet when it comes to "virtual audio transport" but my understanding is that the VAC is expecting a certain data format from PowerSDR on one side and gives out a certain data format on the other side that is accepted by FLDigi for the RX case? For TX the direction just swaps. This is just a crude approximation to keep the oversight.

Thanks for the link to your tutorial which I will study the next few days. Maybe I still have some questions..............................

Any preferred VAC software that you recommend?

Thanks - Roger
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:13 pm

If you can get over the elderly interface and the complex user interface, MMTTY is probably the best RTTY software there is.

You've got things coming together correctly in your head.

As per my tutorial, I greatly prefer Voicemeeter Banana. It is essentially a virtual mixing board, making it easy to meter and monitor your virtual audio connections. And, IMHO, it has a superior ability to mix and match drivers and sample rates, if required (but do endeavor to get everything running at 48KHz as per the tutorial).

73!
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm

I agree that MMTTY is a bear to set up and seems not to be as flexible as my previous and now once again current choice: MixW. I find the latter to be easier to setup, has a built in log and transfers contacts automatically to my logging program (CommCAT) and has a bandspread. After struggling with MMTTY I finally went back to MixW.

I know one reason why MMTTY is pushed is because it is the one chosen to be used with N1MM+. I don't know if I'll ever do an RTTY contest ... so for now that isn't an issue for me... but consider that in your decision.

Gary
K9RX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:17 pm

K9RX wrote:I know one reason why MMTTY is pushed is because it is the one chosen to be used with N1MM+. I don't know if I'll ever do an RTTY contest ... so for now that isn't an issue for me... but consider that in your decision.

It's also got a really great decoder, reliable and sensitive. I can't speak to MixW, but I've tested MMTTY against Fldigi and MMTTY is far superior.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:00 am

Yes - I have heard that MMTTY has a great decoder ... I've really not compared the two so I can't comment there only to say I've worked some pretty weak stuff using MixW ...

Gary
DL5RBW

Postby DL5RBW » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:26 pm

It´s been a while but finally I got the time to install MMTTY and get it running. So far so good. What puzzles me is that I cannot set VAC1 so that it automatically switches to VAC1 permanently whenever going to DigiModes.

There is an "Auto Enable" function in the 'Audio' menu under the VAC1 tab. However if I check the box and switch to DigiMode the VAC1 button on the main screen lits up for a moment and then goes black (disabled) again. Once I go into the menu again I see the "Auto Enable" function is not checked anymore. Once I leave the DigiMode again VAC1 stays black (disabled) but in the menu I see the "Auto enable" function being checked again.

Manually activating VAC1 by clicking on the VAC1 button on the mainscreen or in the menu all works fine. Its just that with "Auto enable" VAC1 is not latched when changing to DigiModes.

I am running the following configuration:

OpenSDR v3.4.9
Voicemeeter Virtual Audio Cable
VSPE serial port emulation
MMTTY

73 Roger
LarryW

Postby LarryW » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Roger,

In the 2 months I have had the 7000mkII, I have noticed the same thing here.
I need to turn on VAC1 all the time regardless of what the "enable VAC" is on or off.
It seems like it will remember it until I shut down the pc/rig for the night-- but the next morning I start from scratch again.
Larry
N7ZDR
7000 mkll Thetis v2.8.11 21k3
P2_v2.0b
Dell XPS 8930 i5-9400/Behringer 202HD/Audio-Technica BPHS2 headset, USB PTT, Behringer XR 12 (Rack in a Box)
DL5RBW

Postby DL5RBW » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi Larry,

not so here - I have to enable or disable VAC1 manually every time I change modes. The funny thing is that a fellow in our local club is running a Red Pitaya based SDR but with the same PowerSDR software. With his installation it works as expected. Whenever he enters DigiModes VAC1 is enabled automatically and as soon as he switches back to phone VAC1 is disabled.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:22 pm

The state of VAC is saved in the transmit profile. Make a transmit profile specifically for digi op's. Save it. Select that profile next time you set up the radio for digi op's. Then it should be saved in the band stack registers and next time you go to to that band/mode it will be there.

I also recommend turning off both "Auto Save TX Profile" options, which are found in Setup > Transmit. That way you never accidentally save a change to your TX profile.
DL5RBW

Postby DL5RBW » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:13 pm

O.k. that is what I noticed meanwhile. Once a specific Transmit Profile with the Digi settings is saved it will enable VAC when changing to Digi and disabling when leaving Digi even WITHOUT the 'Auto Enable' box checked. So obviously the only way is to have the settings correct in the TX profile rather than checking the "Auto enable" box.

Maybe the "lost" TX profile (see PowerSDR section in the forum) got corrupted when setting up for Digi Modes as I remember that this specific profile was enabled when I started with the installation and setup of the Digi software. I thought the profile once saved is safe but "Auto Save TX profile" may have corrupted it. It is still strange however that the profile got lost completely rather than containing different (Digi) settings.
NN3RP

Postby NN3RP » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:52 pm

ThetisRTTY-Settings.jpg
ThetisRTTY-Settings.jpg (199.78 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
Good day to everyone.

I am looking for assistance with Thetis (v2.8.11 x64 protocol 2 v2.1.18 / 21k7) settings for N1MM / RTTY usage. I am interested in receiving information about Transmit Filter and Width/Shift.

Currently, I am using IC7610 for RTTY. Any recommendation / suggestion is appreciated.
Rafael / NN3RP
Nation's Capital USA
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:00 pm

Hi Rafael,

I've only been on RTTY with the 7000DLE MKII "Black" rig for a few months.

I use N1MM with 2Tone as my main encoder / decoder and MMTTY as a secondary decoder.

With 2Tone I use DOOK as the transmit AFSK generator as the 2Tone author says it's narrow bandwidth and friendlier to nearby hams.

Right now I have my transmit filters set to 2600 and 770 according to my notes. I'm not in my shack to know for sure!

Maybe we can make a sched and compare how the signals decode / look on the bandscope.

George / W7GES
NN3RP

Postby NN3RP » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Thanks for writing, George.....a sched sounds good...I will send you a note via your QRZ email....so I can type off the forum to you
Rafael / NN3RP
Nation's Capital USA

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”