INSTALLING OR RUNING NEWEST THETIS CORRUPTS DATABASE ON POWERSDR ON SAME PC.

KA1GXR

INSTALLING OR RUNING NEWEST THETIS CORRUPTS DATABASE ON POWERSDR ON SAME PC.

Postby KA1GXR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 am

PC is Windows 10 all updates done. !6GB memory I7 4ghz. I use 200D on Thetis latest firmware with no serious isssues. I use V3.49 powersdr latest firmware on an 8000. I had been using both radios fine with Thetis older v 2.53 on the 200D. I noticed the newer Thetis version last week and installed it. 200d liked it and ran OK. When I later started up 8000 on 3.49 it went through complete startup to full screen but in a few seconds it shut down before I could hit the power button on the screen. Deleting the entire Powersdrmrx directory fixed it . I reinstalled Thetis again and it broke Powersdr again. I just removed the powersdr database.xml this time and new database it created on startup let it run fine for awhile even after starting up Thetis a few times with the other radio (200D) and power sdr shutdown. A day later Powersdr same problem after startup. I was able to get it back just replaced the database file with a saved good one I copied before it went bad again. I saved the corrupted database file. It opens OK to view it.

Any known way For Thetis to interact with Powersdrmrx ?

Tom
KA1GXR
w-u-2-o

Re: INSTALLING OR RUNING NEWEST THETIS CORRUPTS DATABASE ON POWERSDR ON SAME PC.

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:30 am

Tom,

First of all, no reason to shout (all cap's).

Second, I have here an 8000 that I use with both P1 and P2 firmware. My installations of the latest version of Thetis and PowerSDR do not interfere with each other in the slightest.

It is more likely that having two radios on the network simultaneously, both with P1 firmware in them, might be the cause of your difficulties. In such a case it is possible that a PowerSDR database set up for Radio X is being used for Radio Y and thereby becoming confused.

If you have more than one radio on the LAN with the same protocol firmware loaded simultaneously, it would be best to set your radios for static IP addresses and to set your databases so that they use a static IP explicitly to discover the radio.

This is all a big guess, mind you. However, Thetis keeps all of its information in a completely separate folder from PowerSDR. The two do not mess with each other's files.

Scott
KA1GXR

Re: INSTALLING OR RUNING NEWEST THETIS CORRUPTS DATABASE ON POWERSDR ON SAME PC.

Postby KA1GXR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Sorry about the caps-my eyes find it easier to read.

I am using 8000 on P1 Power SDRMRX only and 200D on P2 Thetis only. I can not find a similiar database.xml file that Thetis uses in any directory known to me or perhaps it has a different database format. My radios and PC are on a common 1GB switch. Switch goes to my Fios router. I did not notice this problem prior to recently installing newest Thetis software.
I am using a windows 7 laptop Pro I7 processor with same radios and software versions with no issues yet. The laptop even runs well on Wi-Fi from the same router with minimal hiccups on with either radio. I am fortunate that my 200D does not show serious timing errors on Thetis. Have not tried Thetis and Firmware on the 8000 yet.

Tom
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm

I can not find a similiar database.xml file that Thetis uses in any directory known to me or perhaps it has a different database format.
All of the database and support files for Thetis are here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\

All of the database and support files for PowerSDR are here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\

There is no way one program is messing with the other's database files.

My radios and PC are on a common 1GB switch. Switch goes to my Fios router.
Again, to me this sounds like both radios are using DHCP and that PowerSDR is discovering the P2 radio first and damaging its database. Why this should happen on Win10 and not Win7 I couldn't tell you.

My recommendation remains the same: use Bootloader or Programmer to set each radio to a proper static IP that is compatible with your network, then configure PowerSDR and Thetis to only look for the correct and corresponding static IP.
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 pm

I am sure DHCP is what I have now. I will make sure my router is not assigning the same address to both first. After checking that I will try the fixed IP way you suggest. It appears to me the 200D on Thetis is trashing the 8000 on P1. The 200D continues to start and run fine after running 8000. I have modest IP skills but this should not be a problem for me to try.
More networking Funn!

Tom
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Finally got time to troubleshoot. I have not gone to assigned IP yet as you suggested. Without ever powering up Thetis 200D radio or Thetis software I start with default database on PowerSDRMRX and startup fine. What I found after restoring good database more than once for the 8000 is if I turn on resampling and VAC1 and VAC2 the database goes bad and program will shut down just after the splash screen loads. If I turn on either just VAC! and VAC2 or just resampling in both VAC screens no problem occurs.

Any thoughts or should I try fixed IP anyway?

Tom
KA!GXR
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:15 pm

Ah, this is VAC related. That makes a difference.

Unfortunately the VAC code is not well behaved where the database is concerned. If your database contains VAC settings for a sound device that is no longer present in your system and you activate VAC, the program will often crash, and the program will often be left with a database corrupted in a way that prevents the program from starting properly.

Two choices:

1) Start from scratch and make a whole new database, discarding the old ones.

2) Open the old database in an editor and try to find the offending XML entries and delete them.

#1 is a sure thing and not as laborious as you think compared to #2, unless you know EXACTLY what to edit, which I sure don't!

Scott
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:12 am

I do have some devices that are currently disconnected or powered down. Will see what is in the list and reconnect or delete and test. Not a Thetis issue after all. Just timing of Thetis update threw me off ! Will report when I fix it.

Thanks
Tom
KA1GXRrrrr
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:42 pm

No joy yet tried several changes and still cannot restart PowersdrMrx after the first time when I turn on resamplers . All good until I restart the Powersdr Mrx.

I have:
Reconnected my USB Microphone and Hercules DJ controller.--No change fresh database again.

Tried disabling drivers for DJ Hercules Midi controller and Voicemeter Banana.-I have not been running VBM in months. Still bad.---

Reduced screen size from 125% to 100% (was a problem on Windows 7 )

Completely uninstalled Powersdrmrx and all associated directories. Reinstalled with complete wisdom file and database redo v 3.49.

Still no restart after enabling resampling. Again usind Windows 10 all updates done. This may be in the wrong discussion now?

Helpp!

Tom
KA1GXR
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Does your VAC configuration work OK before you turn on the resampler?

If so, post a screenshot of your VAC setup screen before turning on the resampler.
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:43 am

Using VAC1 and VAC2 constantly on 2 antennas no problem all last week with resample off. Yesterday I was able to edit the bad database to turn both resample settings off and program restarted fine. I have screen shots of both VAC1 & 2 with and without resample on.

Just now I turned resample on on a new database and ran the radio for a minute. Went to setup and turned off resample. I was then able to restart PowersdrMrx OK. At least that is a workaround. Can not attach 4th file VAC2 resample on. Will send 2nd reply for that.

KA1GXR
Attachments
VAC1 RESAMPLER ON 10-28-18 at 10.25 PM 001.PNG
VAC1 RESAMPLER ON 10-28-18 at 10.25 PM 001.PNG (160.02 KiB) Viewed 18432 times
VAC2 10-28-18 at 10.25 PM.PNG
VAC2 10-28-18 at 10.25 PM.PNG (100.12 KiB) Viewed 18432 times
VAC1 10-28-18 at 10.24 PM.PNG
VAC1 10-28-18 at 10.24 PM.PNG (124.33 KiB) Viewed 18432 times
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:44 am

VAC2 resample on attached here

KA1GXR
Attachments
VAC 2 RESAMPLER ON 10-28-18 at 10.26 PM.PNG
VAC 2 RESAMPLER ON 10-28-18 at 10.26 PM.PNG (135.78 KiB) Viewed 18432 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Great screenshots, thanks.

First, let me be sure I understand the problem: the resampler works and PowerSDR starts, as long as you start with the resampler OFF, and never quit the program with it ON. Is that correct?

Second, a few minor observations (do these first):

1. Turn on the stereo option.
2. Turn off "Allow PTT to override..." if you do not have a microphone and PTT switch attached directly to the radio hardware.
3. Go into the Windows Sound Control Panel, access the advanced settings for each device you are using with PowerSDR, and make certain that each one (recording and playback) is explicitly set to 48KHz sampling rate.

Question:

- What is your Primary buffer size set to? I suspect it is a fairly large number.

Theory:

The combination of large primary buffer, large VAC buffer, and long manual buffer latency setting is somehow causing a problem with VAC initialization when the resampler is ON when the program starts.

Suggestion:

With the resampler OFF, try setting buffer latency to 0mS, and try reducing the size of both primary and VAC buffers to minimum, then gradually increase the buffer sizes, leaving buffer latency at 0mS, until you get something that works reliably. You will have to experiment with different combinations of primary and VAC buffer size. If you can't find a good combination, increase buffer latency a small amount, say by steps of 10mS. Once you have something much smaller than what you have now, then see if the resampler can be left ON when you quit the program.

Scott
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 pm

Scott:

Left this issue on the table after trying your suggestions of shrinking the buffers and latency numbers. At lower levels that allowed click free or almost click free audio (9600 Primary sample rate) I could not stop the database corruption.

After using the 8000 with no resampler since that time I found time today to look at it again. I discovered that it does not corrupt the database with just Vac 1 and its resampler on. Needs to have VAC 2 and Vac 2 resampler on. Vac 1 can be on or off with or without resampler 1 on and database corrupts= Application will not start. After comparing good and corrupted database files with no clear result yet I also found that if the PowerSDRMRX software power on is not invoked and I attempt to Turn on VAC 2 and then VAC 2 resampler only in that order the program shuts down. Turn on resampler first then VAC 2 and it does not crash. Again if the radio is attached with DC power and I have the software power on button pushed the program does not crash putting on VAC2 and Resampler 2. I can still restart the program after this type of crash without restoring a good database but it will corrupt as usual if restarted and Vac2 and resample on and app shut down.

Have not upgraded to any late P2 firmware on my 200D. It is powered down during all my tests. Been busy reading the P2 issues and fixes!

Tom
KA1GXR
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:26 pm

PS:

Scott:

I did also remove or disable some audio devices that were not always on from PC sound control etc and made sure they disappeared in VAC1 and VAC 2 audio in/out choices. I could not enable stereo choice because I was using a USB microphone that had only a mono driver. I removed it for testing today.
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:19 pm

PPS!:

My windows 7 laptop shows the same symptoms with VAC 2 and resampler. Other machine is Windows 10 desktop. More fun?!.

Tom
KA1GXR
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:45 am

Tom,

This is clearly a bug in PowerSDR. I can only suggest that you do not use features in a way that causes fatal database corruption until such time as the dev's decide to fix the bug.

Sorry I don't have a better alternative for you.

Scott
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 am

That's fine here Scott. At least I know nothing special in my setup. Now to update to latest P2 firmware on the 200D and see how that flies for me.
I noticed the antenna on your dogs for full control. My wife had that breed in New Mexico and was really fond of a very challenging dog.
Tried your online SDR link but it was offline also.

Tom
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 am

Hi Tom,

Yes, streaming only when operating. It's a crapshoot ;)

Akitas are fabulous dogs. I have three now!

Be prepared to start with a totally reset database and updated it manually when 2.6.3 is released. There are just too many changes for the importer to deal with.

73!

Scott
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi Tom (and Scott),

I found the PowerSDR VAC2 resampler bug you reported here earlier. Thank you for catching that one. If you like, I can send you a Dropbox link to the patched PowerSDR.exe for testing. Either way I will forward this to Doug in case he decides to do another release for PowerSDR.

73, Bryan W4WMT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks, Bryan! I'm OK for the moment, as I am presently neck deep in Thetis.
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:46 am

I will give it a go. Leave link here or to my callsign at ARRL.net

Tom
KA1GXR
KA1GXR

Postby KA1GXR » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks Bryan. I installed the patch on my Win 10 desktop using the 8000. All well with VAC2 and resampler now on restart. Will test my Win 7 laptop next . Is 3.49 Patch applicable to 200D or any other models using this version ?

Tom
KA1GXR
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Tom,

The hardware you have is, with very few exceptions, not relevant. 90% of the "radio" is inside of PowerSDR. About the only thing really different is whether the hardware has one or two ADCs, and a few odds and ends like EXT and Bypass connectors.

So, yes, the VAC fix Bryan did for you will work with any radio hardware.

Scott

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”