Is it possible to control the bandwidth requirement?

M1FHA

Is it possible to control the bandwidth requirement?

Postby M1FHA » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Hello,

Was wondering if there's any way to control how much network bandwidth an Anan 7000DLE uses?

From monitoring of the network, with the radio in operation using PowerSDR mRX PS, it appears to use ~23 Mbps. That's over WiFi, so I appreciate there will some overheads included in that figure.

Upstream bandwidth of the Internet connection where the radio is, is not too much of an issue. The connection can quite happily sustain ~25 Mbps upstream. It's more the variability of downstream bandwidth that I will have at the remote end, depending what type of connection I'm using. Could be 4G mobile Internet, could be a basic ADSL connection.

I would be willing to sacrifice some bandwidth if it would provide smooth operation. Is there any way to do this?
w-u-2-o

Re: Is it possible to control the bandwidth requirement?

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:39 pm

There is no way to do this. You will not be able to run PowerSDR over a WAN connection no matter how fast it is. There is too much latency and too many dropouts of UDP data. It's a thick client architecture that expects (requires) a low-latency, nearly lossless connection.

You have to use some other means to create a virtual thin client layer. I use RDP. Others use such things as Teamviewer (I find it too high in latency). Another method is to use the RemoteHams RCForb client to move audio and PTT and provide some basic controls, then supplement that with Teamviewer or similar.

Scott

Return to “Remote Operation Over The Internet”