ANAN 10E AUDIO PROBLEM

mark1161

ANAN 10E AUDIO PROBLEM

Postby mark1161 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:08 am

Good Evening All,

I just purchased an ANAN 10E with firmware 1.5 I am having a problem with audio coming out of the headphone jack and the rear breakout board. It is sort of a clipping, stutter effect, mixed in with the standard radio audio, which will continue for a while and then the audio will cut out completely. I then have to shut off the rig and restart everything to get back on line. I am running 48000 sample rates on the VAC cables and as the general sample rate on HPSDR v3.4.9. I also have an ANAN 100D running the same sampling rates, same version of HPSDR through the same computers with no problems. Nice clean audio. Also, the VAC cables, using the ANAN 10E, are communicating with WSJT-x and FL DIGI with decoding of all digital modes. When I switch from the headphone jack to playing the audio directly out of the computer there is no clipping and the sound is OK. But, don't know how to use the digital software when using the computer for the audio. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
WA2DIY
mark1161

Re: ANAN 10E AUDIO PROBLEM

Postby mark1161 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 am

One more thing, I am using VAC v451.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:21 am

That's very strange, Mark. If you've got good VAC audio then you ought to also have good audio out of the hardware unit. That you don't implies something wrong with your Ethernet connection in the PC to hardware direction. However, if your RF output is good, again, that makes no sense.

As for fully virtualizing your audio, that is pretty easy. Install Voicemeeter Banana (VMB) and use that instead of Muzychenko VAC. VMB is a virtual mixer and can route audio to/from your main PC audio interface and your digi mode programs simultaneously.

See this tutorial for more information:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2655

Scott
mark1161

Postby mark1161 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:24 am

Scott,

It is strange since I am using the ANAN 100D with no problems on the same computers with the same ethernet connection. I tried to configure Voicemeeter before with no luck. I will try again.

Thanks
Mark
mark1161

Postby mark1161 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:33 am

One more thing...as described can you imagine any hardware problem that might be causing this? I can figure out the software but the hardware side is above my knowledge grade.

Mark
mark1161

Postby mark1161 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:23 am

I figured out the VoiceMeeter Banana configuration but there is no change to the quality of the audio coming out of the radio. The nearest thing I could compare it to would be like blowing bubbles underwater. A gurgling sound, I guess.

Mark
WA2DIY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 am

The advice to use VMB was not to fix audio coming from the hardware unit, but to allow you to use the radio more normally through your PC, especially since it would appear that your hardware may be broken :(

As you point out, the 100D works fine. Barring any setup problems in PowerSDR, this seems to eliminate the PC or network as a source of a problem. And gurgling noises are not typical of something simple like a bad headphone connector.

Dumb question though (you never know!): when you use the 10E you have PowerSDR set to "10E", and when you use the 100D you have it set to "100D" correct?

Also, did you try the usual superstitious move of exporting your database (so you can re-import it later) and then resetting your database to the default settings, then setting it all back up again?

Scott
mark1161

Postby mark1161 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Good Morning,

I do reset the software for the correct rig each time I change radios. The audio is still cutting out after about 4 minutes from turning on the radio. I did not yet try resetting the database. This will be my next step. Despite the chugging/stuttering signal, the radio is performing normally with the software. To be continued...

Thanks
Mark
WA2DIY
mark1161

Postby mark1161 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Scott,

You did it again. Well, call me superstitious, but the re-set of the database seems to have corrected the problem! Of course, I would like to know why. The reason being that the 100D was playing very nicely with the same software set-up. This problem had all the symptoms of a hardware issue but knowing the build quality of these rigs I could not wrap my head around that being the root cause. As always, it seems to come back to software.

Mark
WA2DIY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Mark,

The problem is that the PowerSDR code is total spaghetti, and nobody knows all of the dependencies in it. This can scramble databases in really weird and unexpected ways.

The one thing you should do is maintain multiple, separate configurations for PowerSDR, one for each type of radio or radio configuration you have. To facilitate that PowerSDR mRX PS allows a command line variable as follows:

-datapath:[path]

where [path] is the Windows path to the correct database file, e.g.

C:\Users\your Windows username goes here\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR mRX PS\name_of_database.xml

I think you may need to put it in quotes because of spaces. It should be relatively easy to figure out.

Add this to the command line (in a bat file, or as part of a shortcut) and have it point to the correct database for each radio or radio configuration. Then you can easily start a version of PowerSDR that is specific to the radio you want to use at the time.

Remember, you can only run a single instance of PowerSDR at a time, multiple radios at the same time using the same PC will not work.

73!

Scott

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”