Memory function

K9RX

Memory function

Postby K9RX » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 pm

ok... so I've searched here and on the Yahoo group ... how do I use the Memory function? I've entered values for 3 memories (there are now 3 FT8 "bands" on 6 meters) ... but nothing I do changes the frequency I'm on. I hit the arrow or the "group" or the frequency - and after each hit "SELECT" ... nothing happens. HELP?!

Gary
K9RX
w-u-2-o

Re: Memory function

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:51 pm

If you have VFO lock on it won't do anything.

Otherwise you are doing it right.

Another method is to double click in any field in a memory "row".

If neither method works for you and VFO lock is OFF, then I can only suggest your memory file and or database is corrupt and either or both needs to be deleted and rebuilt.

You do seem to have worse luck with the software than anyone else, Gary ;)

73!

Scott
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 pm

there's that smart#@! remark once again ... and here I thought we were beyond that.

I've been running beautifully for many months - all ALL of the problems I have had were GENUINE. ... I've only ONCE had a corrupted database and that was something obvious that I did. I knew it immediately.

something that once again needs to be said here: A program should NOT be able to be corrupted. Period. Blaming someone that uses it isn't solving anything. You are a tremendously knowledgeable and talented guy - but if you can't be respectful when "helping" on here and on the other group you're not actually helping. MOST get intimidated - some, like myself, won't put up with it. We're all here to enjoy and learn. Not to have a smartass comment thrown out. No matter what you "think" ...

just because I REPORT things I find doesn't mean I've been any worse off. I use more of the program than most - we've been through this ad nauseum.

back to MY issue ... it doesn't work. I've tried deleting the memory.xml file to no avail... I SERIOUSLY doubt its a corrupted DB - I'll try that... however as I've said before - when people say "its a corrupt DB" and then reset it and it fixes it that DOESN'T prove that it was a corrupt database as now you are back to the most tested DB in existence, the default! OF COURSE it is going to be clean and work.... its with the changes I want/need that i need it to work properly. For ME - not as a defaulted radio. And if those changes cause it to not work whether through corruption or just not work - that is the programs fault - not the users for wanting to use it - of course assuming they're using it right which is why I posted here asking about how to use this function!

Gary Myers
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:52 pm

and as usual I found the answer myself - its called A BUG!

I was entering the values in the chart... so I "added" a new entry and changed the frequency there - that does nothing - it stays where it is!

if I instead tune to a different frequency and add new ones - THAT WORKS. Of course if one can edit the table then one would rightfully expect it to work.

A BUG.... that I can now report - to be helpful and make it better. No corrupt DB or file as, I thought USE to be but appears once again is the "GO TO" response it seems ...

Gary
K9RX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Nobody uses the software harder than you, Gary, and I mean that sincerely. BTW, the comment above was a joke, hence the "wink" emoticon. I'm sorry that you did not interpret that as humor. There are clearly a few people that I do not communicate with very well. I try my best.

I agree with you, the software has many bugs, and databases should never become corrupt. For what it's worth, I was similarly frustrated when I first came to the community, but I reconciled myself long ago that the community has not attracted sufficient developer talent that is interested in UI improvement and development. There have been many great additions to the UI, but few "meat and potatoes" type fixes, although Loren's work on RX2 panafall and Chris' improvements to database updates and CTUN are notable exceptions.

At any rate, thanks for posting that find. It may never get fixed, but at least others will understand what the problem is.

Scott
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi Gary,

I never tried directly editing the RX frequency in the chart as you have described, but I brought up my Memory chart in OpenHPSDR and found that if I only edit the RX Freq column, it behaves exactly as you stated. The entry in the chart changes, but the actual received frequency does NOT change. To manually edit it so that the actual receive frequency changes for that entry, you need to edit the RX Freq column, and also the TX Freq column. Then the actual transmit and receive frequency will change appropriately, and the label in the RX Freq column will be correct for sorting purposes.

I'm not sure if that gives you what you are looking for, but it does seem to if I understand your intent correctly. I do not think this behavior is a bug, but rather it is a safeguard to prevent unintentional split operation when the Split option in a memory row is not selected. Note that if the Split option is selected, editing the RX Freq column WILL change the actual RX frequency of the ANAN without changing the actual TX Freq. I have used this feature to set up memories holding the repeater offsets to access the 10 meter FM repeaters.

As Scott said, double-clicking on any entry will move the ANAN to the frequency in that entry, or clicking on an entry and then pressing the Select button will move the ANAN to the frequency in that entry.

Rob W1AEX

"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks Rob,

When I first brought it up it was on one of the three FT8 bands on 6 meters ... and I was monitoring so I intentionally did not use the VFO but instead typed it in. An easy enough exercise to do changing 1 digit in each. It didn't dawn on me until I went back and tried it again, this time using the VFO, that doing so wouldn't work.

I would consider it to be a bug in that if SPLIT is not checked then by that nature both frequencies are the same so editing either one, with the RX one all the way to the left, being the one I focused on, should change the other... but I would agree that it could well have been designed this way. I tend to "design" using intuition and common sense - again if SPLIT not explicitly stated then they are by definition (not-split) the same... but now that I know how it DOES work I'm good to go. There are many other little things like this that are more important... but until any and all of these are found (by someone) and reported they won't be on any list to possibly correct/change. Thus my diligence in doing so.

Gary

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”