Anan for Dumbest

Postby KL4QG » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 am

:lol:
I been operating icom 746pro years now want
SDR ANAN-7000DLE or Used 200D

I own no computer at this time

Sold 746pro

Have my Heil PR781 mic and Ten Tec Hercules 550 looking for company

What do I need invest $$ for computer and other goodies get on air - I live on 42 foot sailboat

Computers have me confused like go small with 14-18 Monitor need help

How hard is setting up ANAN-7000DLE
Thanks Joe
KL4QG

Re: Anan for Dumbest

Postby KL4QG » Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 pm

What is difference in 200D and new 7000

In NR and NB and transmit sound and receive
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri May 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Joe,

In a marine environment I'd suggest using a laptop computer. Perhaps even a rugged laptop of some sort. Any laptop that has a mid-range i5 processor in it or faster (or equivalent AMD CPU) will do fine. I'd buy the largest laptop you think you can fit on the chart table ;) because having more screen real estate is helpful. You don't need a lot of memory, 8 or 16GB is fine. You don't need a lot of disk space, but a solid state disk (SSD) is not only faster, but far more rugged for the marine environment. Finally, you do want it to be running Windows 10, as the most capable software for the radio is PowerSDR (soon to be replaced by a version called Thetis), and that is all Windows software. Also ensure the laptop has a GigE Ethernet port. The radios only run at 100MBit/s right now, but in the not so distant future they will run at gigabit network speeds.

The differences between a 200D and a 7000 are minimal. The receiver and transmitter performance is slightly better on the 7000, and the 7000 has a nicer set of connectors on the back. Since these are software defined radios, all of the cool stuff is in the software, and since both radios use the same software, they both have all of the same features, e.g. NR2 is the same on both radios. The hardware only does preselection filtering, signal routing, up and downconversion, and amplification. EVERYTHING else is done in the software.

If you are not knowledgeable about Windows this is going to be a VERY steep learning curve for you. Windows or Linux based SDRs are not anywhere near as simple as knobified SDRs (like a 7300 or 7610), and both Windows and Linux need care and feeding by themselves. Not saying not to get a radio, but fair warning if you are not a Windows jockey ;)

73!

Scott

P.S. Since this topic does not really fit well into the other various sub-forums, I moved it to the "Everything Else" sub-forum.
KL4QG

Postby KL4QG » Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Windows things scaring me now no I don’t know much at all about operating Windows just basic stuff-

I could take Anan to friends for setup by him than take back Boat
My friend Sells used Tough Books CF 31 I forward him what needed operate Anans now and future
Joe

Ps thanks
dk8nd

Postby dk8nd » Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Dear Joe,
I kindly recommend You to use a computer only for the Anan-TRX. You may have program failures because of mismatch (high swr) , false keystrokes or of an unknown reason. I use the Anan 8k DLE without autotuner with Marconi aerials resonant for 1820 kHz, 3520 kHz and 7022 kHz. Other bands operated unmatched. I had program errors of Windows 10 and the HPSDR-program. I use an Intel NUC-computer with a Monitor with a cable mouse (right hand, for tuning) and the cw-keyer with the left hand. The NUC needs 18V for operation, I have not checked, wether it will operate at 12 V too. If You use industrial barebone computers in metal case You may get them for 12 V operation too, but they are a bit more expensive then a "home theatre pc".
When the NUC failed, I used the other computer for help in the internet. Unexperienced with SDR and only with common knowledge about computers, I freely confess, I had more troubles with this experimental sdr-radio than with the previous transceiver Tentec Omni 6minus. Maybe a Solid State Disk for backup of the computers memory is helpful.

55, Hans-Albrecht
DK 8 ND
KL4QG

Postby KL4QG » Sat May 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Keep information coming all
My friend owns a small computer store in sitka Alaska
Very smart guy with doctoren degree

He be setting up Anan in his shop before I bring home
I have ameritron ATR-30 antenna tuner and Ten Tec Hercules 550 amp

Linux program I guess you down load on computer and any special computer connects needed ?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 pm

While their are some Linux applications for running the radio, they are less capable than PowerSDR under Windows.

IMHO, you do not want to run Linux, you want to run Windows 10 and PowerSDR.

You will also find a lot of support on line for PowerSDR running Apache Labs radios. Not nearly as much for Linux solutions.
KL4QG

Postby KL4QG » Wed May 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Only internet I have here in Sitka Alaska living on 42 foot sail boat is AT&T tattered from my IPhone Will this be ok for the an Intel NUC-computer to run Anan??? :P
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed May 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Go somewhere with good internet, download everything you think you will need on an USB drive, and you will be fine.

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”