Resampler causes crash

Buck

Resampler causes crash

Postby Buck » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Setup is i7 desktop, Win 10, 200D running firmware 4.9 and 3.4.9. VAC1 is UMC ASIO driver to Behringer 202HD and VAC2 is virtual channel using MME and M-VAC. I activated the new resampler using buffer size 2048 and auto latency.

It works fine for a short amount of time, then crashes mRX. Upon restart, the software immediately crashes. I delete the database and restart, then import a database that is the same as before the crash except that the resampler is not enabled. All works normally then.

I have stopped using the resampler.Is there any information I can supply to troubleshoot this problem?

Buck ko0y
w-u-2-o

Re: Resampler causes crash

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Buck,

Please post screen shots of your settings for both VAC1 and VAC2, as well as the settings in your Behringer control panel.

Which resampler is causing the crash, VAC1 or VAC2? If you run each one separately does it work ok?

Scott
Buck

Postby Buck » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Upon further testing, it seems to be related to another problem I've been struggling with for awhile. When I transmit at a MARS frequency located not far above the 75 meter band, at a power level above 400 watts or so, sometimes the mouse and controls freeze and I have to hit the Anan power to stop transmission. Up to now, I have been able to restart and continue when this happened. However, with the resampler running (either or both VAC channels) the database gets corrupted and I can't restart until I delete the database. This takes me off-air for several minutes.

Evidently, this is caused by RF from the antennas, one of which is an inverted vee only 10 yards from the radio, and the other a vertical about 20 yards away. I have tried everything I can think of keep RF out of the program. All components are bonded together with braided copper: sound card to computer to radio to amplifier to tuner to antenna panel to ground rod. All 120 volt equipment is grounded to the same green wire. All coax and usb cords have chokes on them: sound card, keyboard, mouse, and video displays. The antennas are tuned to 1.2 to 1.4 SWR.

If anyone has any suggestions beyond what I've laid out here to keep RF from freezing the program, or has an alternate explanation for the problem, I would love to hear it.

Buck ko0y
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:11 am

Hi Buck,

The proximity of the antenna does make this problem a bit difficult to work with, however, the best tool I have found for finding RF ingress paths is a cheap field strength meter. Just hold the probe antenna near every wire that comes into your station and you'll quickly identify any that are conduits for RF. I had an issue with my Samsung monitor (with a touch sensor power button) shutting down any time I transmitted with power above 500 watts on 160 meters. It turned out that RF was traveling along the rotor cable right to the rotor control box that was sitting under the right side of the monitor, where the touch sensor power button was. I choked off the rotor cable with a toroid core across the room, right at the window threshold where it entered the house. That resolved it completely.

Not sure if this technique is applicable but it might give you some insight into whether it's simple common mode ingress.

Good luck!

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:21 am

Buck,

If you don't already have them, get yourself a high quality wireless keyboard and mouse, preferably in the 2.4GHz band. I prefer Logitech. I had a very similar problem at my old QTH and solved it with a Logitech MK710 keyboard/mouse kit. That mouse has Logitech's "hyperscroll" feature, which you'll also love, it's great for tuning up and down the band.

Scott
Conrad_PA5Y

Postby Conrad_PA5Y » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Good advice and as another bonus you will find that radiation from your PC will diminish. You will notice this most on 10m and 6m but it is significant.

Conrad PA5Y
Buck

Postby Buck » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a morning retuning the vertical to present a lower SWR at the problem frequency, then used an MFJ meter to read RF near the tuner, mouse, and keyboard. At 400 watts, the meter read 30 on its most sensitive setting when using the dipole (and the computer froze), but did not deflect with the vertical. So, it appears that RF is arriving via air and not through a cable. I would have hoped that the nine-inch thick concrete and stucco wall would have attenuated the signal, but...

I will likely give the mentioned Logitech keyboard/mouse a try also. thanks again.

Buck ko0y
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi Buck,

RF getting directly into the shack causes many problems. My shack is located under my beam
(about 24 feet under my 8 elt log periodic). I utilize a 200D with same computer (I7@4 GHz Win7)
and I had to struggle with the strong RF field entering the shack. No matter how good the grounding
was, it didn't help. Here my experience :
-keyboard hangs : use a good quality (mine is a Compaq) keyboard) and ferrite beads
-monitor switching istself off : ferrite bead on power supply cord and HDMI cable
-RF feed back into my audio causing an echo like distortion : I had to add a balanced line input to
the 200D (see my QRZ.com page and W1AEX ANAN mod). A cheap 600 ohm transformer and
an RF tight enclosure is all you need. when your audio line is balanced the strongest RF fields won't
do no harm anymore.

Good luck

Phil FM5GB
Buck

Postby Buck » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Phil, thanks. I ordered a 2.4 GHz keyboard/mouse as recommended and will see if that helps the freezing. I've not had problems with either monitor (yet). I use only VAC for audio so don't worry about the line connections front or rear. Nice looking case for your 200D.

Buck ko0y
Buck

Postby Buck » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:00 am

I bought a 2.4GHz keyboard/mouse from Amazon (not Logitech but a cheaper one by Jelly Comb) and installed it. I'm happy to say that it seems to have solved at least the majority of the problems. Transmitting a digital signal at 500 watts, the program does not freeze and returns to receive after finishing transmission. It will sometimes still shut down VAC at higher power, and I have to re-start PowerSDR. But it has not yet corrupted the database when this happens, even with the resampler turned back on. Thanks for all the help, especially the advice to use a wireless keyboard/mouse. I would not have thought this would make such a difference.

Buck ko0y

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”