PowerSDR mRX PS v3.4.8 Released

w-u-2-o

PowerSDR mRX PS v3.4.8 Released

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:07 pm

I am very pleased to announce that PowerSDR mRX PS v3.4.8 has been released.

Latest releases: https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-PowerSDR/releases

Release notes: https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-PowerSDR

This is a fairly significant release and contains many new features including an audio adaptive variable resampler for VAC, Panafall for RX2, and many new CAT and MIDI commands.

General improvements:

• Added Panafall display for RX2
  • Added an Audio Adaptive Variable Resampler with monitor tools (see below for more details)
  • Corrected a resizing problem when enabling RX2
  • NB/NB2 is turned OFF while transmitting when DUP is enabled
  • Added 2kHz Tune Step
  • Changed ANF behavior so that it is disabled when in CW mode
  • Removed the 750Hz CW filter and added a 150Hz CW filter (requires database reset to update)
  • Increased display buffer to support larger than 4k displays
  • Added separate VFO Lock controls for VFOA and VFOB. New VFO Lock button will require additional skin files to operate correctly. Skins packaged with OpenHPSDR/PowerSDR will contain the required files. You may need to create them for other skin packages.
  • Added a dropped packet ("OOOPs") counter that measures the number of dropped receive packets from radio to PC. This may be useful in identifying problems with network setup.
  • Creates new wisdom file for each folder when using the -datapath command

MIDI interface:

• Bug fix for Behringer mini-wheels mapping issue when mapping AGC gain
  • Added support for mapping drive level to a Behringer mini-wheel.
  • Added individual button mappings for locking VFOA and VFOB.
  • Changed previous VFO Lock function to a round-robin toggle: Unlocked, VFOA locked, VFOA&B locked, Unlocked.

CAT interface:

• Fixed bug in CAT Command ZZPT## to change TXProfiles in different modes
  • Updated CAT Commands documentation. Found in the Documentation/Radio folder
  • ZZUX and ZZUY locks/unlocks VFOA and VFOB, respectively. 1=lock, 0=unlock
  • ZZVL now implements a round-robin toggle for VFO locks: Unlocked, VFOA locked, VFOA&B locked, Unlocked.

Added the following new functions:

• ZZUS initiates a PureSignal single cal function
  • ZZUT turns a two-tone test on or off (1 or 0)
  • ZZGU sets RX2 AGC speed
  • ZZAF,ZZAE sets VFOA N tune steps up,down respectively
  • ZZBF,ZZBE sets VFOB N tune steps up,down respectively
  • ZZXH sets VOX delay
  • ZZCN/CO sets VFO A/B CTUN state
  • ZZNU sets RX2 ANF state
  • ZZXN gets combined RX1 status
  • ZZXO gets combined RX2 status
  • ZZXV gets combined VFO status

Adaptive Variable Resampler:

This release of PowerSDR mRX introduces an optional Adaptive Variable Resampler option for VAC audio. The implementation is a true resampler and not just a data "smoother".

Since both the radio and the PC use different clocks to obtain their nominal 48KHz audio sampling rate, the rate in the radio will not exactly match the rate in the PC. This sample rate mismatch leads inevitably to audio buffer under- and over-runs that often result in audible glitches in the VAC audio streams, both transmit and receive. The resampler acts to transform audio data across the radio clock domain and the PC clock domain, thereby substantially eliminating these glitches. The resampler also works for those who are using the VAC IQ data output at all IQ sample rates, and spur levels will be extremely low even at 192KHz.

To use the resampler, first be sure to have achieved a reasonably stable and well performing VAC configuration without the resampler active. Then check the "Resampler" checkbox in Setup > Audio > VAC1 (and/or VAC2 if using VAC2). You will probably see the under- and -over-flow counters start counting. It then takes a few seconds for the resampler algorithm to begin making estimates of the sample rate mismatch. Once the initial estimate of sample rate mismatch is obtained, the Var Ratio display will begin to show the measured ratio between the PC and radio audio sample rates. This will update in a continuous fashion and usually does not remain static, as the sample clocks do drift over time, over temperature, etc.

At this point you should use the mouse to hover over the various displays and controls, read the tool-tips that pop up over each one, and thereby become more familiar with them. The "Force" controls can be left alone, they are only there for diagnostic purposes..

After the resampler has become stable, which should occur in about ten seconds or so, you can click on the various counters to reset them to zero. This will allow you to more easily monitor resampler performance. Resampler performance depends quite heavily on the performance of your particular PC and your particular VAC configuration. Some people obtain zero under- and over-runs in both the transmit and receive directions for many hours, others see a steady but slow trickle that racks up to a few tens of them per hour.

A measure of latency can also be obtained by noting the size of the ringbuffer shown in the diagnostic display. Smaller buffer size equates to less latency. The size of the ringbuffer is determined by an algorithm that considers primary buffer size, VAC buffer size, VAC sample rate, and VAC Buffer Latency settings. The smallest possible ringbuffer on the receive side is 512, the smallest on the transmit side is 1024.

By using the monitoring features in the resampler you can work to optimize your primary and VAC buffer settings to achieve the fewest under- and over-runs, as well as the lowest latency. A general procedure is suggested as follows, although this is by no means the only method. This is also a useful procedure if you are having problems getting the resampler to converge, i.e. you are experiencing out of control under- and over-runs.

1. Start with a large primary buffer size.
2. Start with Buffer Latency set to 0mS & "Manual".
3. Start with VAC buffer size set to match your audio interface buffer size (if you know it, otherwise start with a large value).

If you get poor audio quality, try un-checking and checking the Buffer Latency Manual button a few times.

4. If you absolutely can't get it to run, let Buffer Latency go back to automatic. If that works, you can then try various values for manual buffer latency until you find the smallest one that works for you.
5. Once things seem stable, you can experiment with reducing the primary buffer size in order to obtain smaller ringbuffer sizes while still maintaining good audio quality.
SA3ATF

Re: PowerSDR mRX PS v3.4.8 Released

Postby SA3ATF » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Exciting news!
I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it!
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:56 am

Wow, how nice is this resampler? This makes it soooo easy to tune everything for best latency. In 10 minutes or so I had everything humming along with nothing but zeros showing up with the resampler monitors. I do have 1 or 2 ooops popping up right now as I run FT8 on 60m. I'll have to look at the ethernet settings for that port and play with them a bit.

Kudo's to the development team!

Joe W4WT
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:11 am

For those who have downloaded and installed any of my custom skins, it will be necessary to download new button packs and unzip them into the skin's Console folder to correctly display the VFO A and VFO B Lock buttons. Button packs are located at the bottom of the Skin Repository download page at the link below. Another approach would be to delete the currently installed skin folder and then download the full re-compiled skin from my download site and re-install it. There are also three new skins on the page so feel free to grab them if you wish.

Looks like a great release Scott. It's running smoothly here, the double panafall display is beautiful and the VAC re-sampler is flawless with zero dropouts, clicks, pops, or audio anomalies of any kind. Thank you to everyone who worked on this release!

Rob W1AEX

Skin Repository:
http://www.w1aex.com/hpsdr/hpsdr.html

New Skins:

"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks guys, excellent upgrade
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi Scott,

How, if at all, is the "PRO Latency" selection affected by the newest code? I know it defaults to 4 but should it be a different number now? I haven't played with that yet but started thinking about it today after I was able to optimize my system to achieve "all zeros" in the VAC window over many hour of running.

Thanks a lot for your work in pushing for the new resampler code. I think this is one of the best features to come down since NR2 by Warren! Finally, we have the tools to adjust our systems to produce a very clean, low latency, glitch free operation!

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Joe,

Under some circumstances UDP packets can arrive out of order at the application layer (PowerSDR). The packet reordering code (PRO) can look back up to 4 packets to find this problem. Delay at a setting of 4 is only 3.5mS latency, worst case, at 192KHz.

This has nothing to do with VAC.

You can turn PRO completely off and watch the performance of the OOOPS counter. If you see a lot of dropped packets on that counter, try increasing the PRO setting.

Scott
N2LYM

Postby N2LYM » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:29 pm

Anyone else having problems with direct frequency entry? When entering a '7' I have 77 on display since the 3.4.8 update.

Mike
N2LYM
WA0VY

Postby WA0VY » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:01 pm

N2LYM wrote:Anyone else having problems with direct frequency entry? When entering a '7' I have 77 on display since the 3.4.8 update.

Yep, they are fixing it as we speak. Also happens when you try to enter a number in RIT or XIT.
73 Brent WA0VY
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info. I turned it to zero a few hours ago and watched the ooops counter and it has stayed at zero so I guess currently, I don't have an issue that it can correct for. However, since the penalty for running it at 4 is so little, I guess it makes sense to just leave it on.

Joe W4WT
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:15 am

Hi Scott,

One other question. If the Pro Latency function is set to a non zero number and can correct oops, if we see a count other than zero in the oops counter does that indicate that the number shown have been corrected by the Pro Latency function or is this a number that has not been corrected?

Thanks,

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:39 am

That number represents the number of packets dropped/missing. If a packet goes completely missing it can't be reordered. If a packet is more than 4 packets out of order (with PRO set to 4) it is effectively dropped even if it shows up.

IMHO, the protocol should never have been designed to use UDP. UDP is lossy by definition and, while good for streaming encoded audio and video, both of which have some room for error correction and lost information, not so good where lossless transfer is required, such as in the un-encoded raw IF and audio data streams used to form our radios. Instead the protocol should have used TCP which is lossless and, although it has higher overhead than UDP, should not have posed a problem on a lightly loaded home LAN or dedicated connection.
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks Scott, that clears it up for me in that it is showing actual dropped packets; not reordered ones.

One other question. I am using the Behringer UMC202HD and its ASIO for VAC. What is the correct setting for the buffer settings in the UMC control panel? Should the buffer size be set to the VAC buffer size or the Primary buffer size? I assume it would be set to the VAC size but want to make sure.

Thanks for your help,

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Joe,

We should really be answering this question in the digital audio sub-forum. Would you mind re-posting it there, please?

Thanks,

Scott
M0mws

Postby M0mws » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 am

W1AEX wrote:For those who have downloaded and installed any of my custom skins, it will be necessary to download new button packs and unzip them into the skin's Console folder to correctly display the VFO A and VFO B Lock buttons. Button packs are located at the bottom of the Skin Repository download page at the link below. Another approach would be to delete the currently installed skin folder and then download the full re-compiled skin from my download site and re-install it. There are also three new skins on the page so feel free to grab them if you wish.

Looks like a great release Scott. It's running smoothly here, the double panafall display is beautiful and the VAC re-sampler is flawless with zero dropouts, clicks, pops, or audio anomalies of any kind. Thank you to everyone who worked on this release!

Rob W1AEX

Hi Rob,
Have used your skins on an older PC that had the Flexradio directory.
Have just installed 3.4.9 on a new machine and the path and file names are quite different.
No Flexradio directory.
Could you give me a clue where the skins should go in this release please.
By the way, great skins and your pages are very helpful.

Skin Repository:
http://www.w1aex.com/hpsdr/hpsdr.html

New Skins:

w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Not Rob, but...

The directory you seek is:

C:\Users\your username goes here\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR\Skins

If you are not finding that directory then you are probably typing it wrong, because it will definitely be there if you used the installer to install PowerSDR mRX.

If you are absolutely convinced it is not there, uninstall and reinstall PowerSDR mRX so that the directory gets created.
M0mws

Postby M0mws » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:28 pm

Ok,
Will check again and if necessary install with default values..
Thanks

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”