7000DLE

K4KV

7000DLE

Postby K4KV » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:21 am

Hello,

I just got the 7000 yesterday, and tried diversity last night. I did not find it to work. Hooked the bev to RX2.
In diversity screen. Selecting the receiver 2 as the source kills the signals. But, if I put the bev on ext1 and select
ext1 in the antenna section, the bev is fine!

I need more information I guess.

Note that the 7000 rx2 port is named differently than the 8000.

Glen K4KV
w-u-2-o

Re: 7000DLE

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Have you read this thread:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2362

In particular, the second post?
K4KV

Postby K4KV » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Scott,
Not really helping answering my question why rx2 is dead in diversity, and works if I move the 2nd antenna to ext1(non-diversity)...

It appears adc2 may not be working. Not sure where one turns it OFF. Or, put another way, can my rx antenna be hooked to rx2 instead
of ext1?

Once RX2 is working on it's own, then let diversity begin!

Glen K4KV
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:05 pm

It is impossible for coherent diversity mode (really beamforming) to work with a second antenna on Ext1. Physically impossible. You HAVE to have independent physical receivers, i.e. both ADCs in use. The math requires it, and that's the only way the software will work since it follows the math.

When you see the entire noise floor go up and down (and I'm assuming that's what you are seeing) that is NOT an effect of coherent diversity. Band noise cannot be suppressed. You'll note that signals also go up and down with the band noise. Your are merely suppressing everything in the band, good and bad. When you are doing it right you will see little to no change in the noise floor, or even a slight rise, but the interfering signal will be suppressed.

I suggest you put an antenna on the ADC2 input and work with RX2 in normal fashion until you find your error or determine your hardware is broken. Until ADC2/RX2 works there can be no coherent beamforming (erroneously called diversity).

Make sure your ADC/RX assignments are correct in setup. Match all RX1 settings in RX2. Move the antenna back and forth. It should look identical on both RX.
K4KV

Postby K4KV » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:34 pm

You have to remember, I have NEVER used a rig with two ADC's. So, I have no clue as to how to make them work!

Turned on RX2 receiver, set it for 40M and the bev is hooked to the rx2 port on the back. I see signals. I removed the bev from
rx2 port, and, yes, the signals went away.

So, ADC2 works.

To use diversity now, I must have RX2 on, and both the main receiver and RX2 on the same band?

Glen K4KV
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:21 pm

Glen,

Attach the RX antenna to ADC2 for RX2 ... turn on RX2 ... now click "SD" (bottom near center). Now you will see both panadapters locked to each other (don't get confused by the VFOB being somewhere else - look at the panadapter) ... push the slider for RX2 audio - lower left labeled "PAN" to one side - say right ... and push the slider for RX1, just to the left of the MULTIRX button - slide the top PAN there to the left. Adjust the volumes for both to be the same as well as the AGC level and the filter widths. now if there is a difference in the received signals - QSB being different on each because say one is vertically polarized and the other is horizontally polarized, it could enhance your receive capability. You won't always hear a difference and it is highly dependent on the antennas - but I do hear a difference at times increasing my ability to copy a signal.

Gary
K9RX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:42 pm

K4KV wrote:You have to remember, I have NEVER used a rig with two ADC's. So, I have no clue as to how to make them work!

Turned on RX2 receiver, set it for 40M and the bev is hooked to the rx2 port on the back. I see signals. I removed the bev from
rx2 port, and, yes, the signals went away.

So, ADC2 works.

To use diversity now, I must have RX2 on, and both the main receiver and RX2 on the same band?

Glen K4KV

Good to read that you've got RX2 working ok.

If you want to use the coherent beamforming diversity (the "diversity" menu) and follow the instructions for that in the first "sticky" post in this sub-forum, you will see the RX2 display is automatically not shown. Not does it need to be turned on first. It is automatically activated in the background and you can switch between RX1, RX2 and the coherent combination of them in the "diversity" control panel.

If you want to use any other form of diversity, it's simply a matter of manually comparing the two receivers, except for "stereo diversity" mode, which processes the audio in a particular way to assist in the process. Gary is the go-to guy for using stereo diversity. I can't use it because I don't have an appropriate pair of antennas for that mode.

Scott

Return to “Diversity Operations (PowerSDR & Thetis)”