Protocol two across a LAN

MabsA

Protocol two across a LAN

Postby MabsA » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi all,

I've been playing with the "new" firmware for my ANAN-10,(not the -e) together with Simon's SDR-Console and thetis.

I read elsewhere this is very much Alpha firmware, so it's expected that's it's not in production quality.

I've got it all working very nicely in the shack via a Cisco SG300 switch. i.e. Shack PC and ANAN-10 all on the same switch.
Looking at the switch it's quite happy moving 150Mb/s locally with out any drama as well as the PcoIP session.

I have a second switch in the office, (same model) that's connected to the shack switch via fibre/SFP.
It's works perfectly with Protocol one firmware and everything else I use , PcoIP, usb sharing etc.

but Protocol two, doesn't happen... Thetis starts, then stops....

I've had a trawl around but can't find anything that talks about working over two segments on the same subnet.
The only thing that has come to mind after some reading is L3 udp forwarding of 'reserved ports' of >1024 etc. ?
but not being fully understanding, I'm not sure if this would help of not..

I'm Just wondering what the difference is between P1 and P2 that stops it going over the fibre link between the two switches.
although they are managed switches, they have been flattend back to factory, just to prove a point...

Thoughts?

Mabs
w-u-2-o

Re: Protocol two across a LAN

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 am

I suspect a RARP problem. P2 has always exhibited intermittent or no RARP for me here. Clearly not everything in the MAC is making timing in the FPGA on my particular radio.

When you are in the problematic configuration can you see an entry in the ARP table on the PC for the radio?

Scott
MabsA

Postby MabsA » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to roll back,.

It seems this PC dose not like Protocol2, It's a Xeon, but thetis refuses to chat with the ANAN-10 properly, as did simon's SDR-Console.
Even have a wireshark .cap if it's any help to anyone ?

Even though the MAC address is in the arp table, I made it static, still no cigar,
I built a Win10 VM on my main Virtual Envirominet, which is on the second switch.. Thetis works.... as did the Win7 VM..
So something to do with this PC ?

The main reason for P2 was so that I could use SDR-C, but since 1709 landed here day before yesterday, SDR-C has now died beccaus of an MS-bug which wont' be fixed until the next major MS update it seems...
So we'll sit back and wait for the timings for P2 Anan-10 to be resolved, (I had a good read of your post over on Yahoo) and for MS to fix SDR-Console problems..

hey ho
73 de MabS
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:33 am

Can't speak to VM's. However I've never had a stable configuration on either an i7 or Xeon (I have both) either under Win7 or Win10. I've tried on a 100D, 200D, and an 8000. In all cases the firmware would crash, as evidenced by the radio needing a power cycle to become responsive again.
Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:18 pm

I hope I’m in the right place to post this. I have been running P2 firmware and Thetis for quite some time without any faults. I updated P2 firmware last Saturday; all went well even on Sunday, no issues. I powered everything up Wednesday and started Thetis, it stopped within seconds, I looked at the audio section in setup and could catch the sampler ramping up fast as if really out. Finally after trying many things I went to the setup page of the Ethernet settings and disabled the “Ethernet Watchdog”, Thetis does not stop but the sampler still is not as stable as before. Any help will be much appreciated - Anan 8000dle, windows 10, i7-7820. I did try reverting back to earlier P2 version but same problems. It’s almost as though vac is having trouble syncing to audio section? I checked all settings, rates, etc. and all correct.

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:11 pm

I would have started a new topic in Thetis, since yours has nothing to do with "Protocol two across a LAN", however...if you can't seem to find settings that keep the resampler stable, just turn it off by checking the two "Force" checkboxes and leave the rate parameter set to 1.00000.
Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Scott

I tried that at first, the sampler still ramps up and fails, not sure on this as I thought it would disable the resampler.

Thanks
Joe
WD5Y
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi Joe,

It may help if you post a screenshot of your VAC1 setup form (or VAC2 if that’s what you’re using) for folks here to look at and analyze.

Also what primary sample rate are you running there, 192k I assume?

73, Bryan W4WMT
Joe

Postby Joe » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Bryan
Thanks for the reply. I just got a chance and restarted the PC and Rig, after everything powered down for three days, all started fine no re-sampling running at a high rate and not stopping. To be honest this happened once before a few months ago and the same scenario, after some days everything powered down I started all back up and problem disappeared It did crop up after a firmware update then as well. During all of this I powered all down many times but only off for around 30 seconds to a minute at a time. It seems if I power down for 24 or more hours the 8000 will restart with re-sampler locking in very fast. At one time I did try to go higher in the sampler rate above 192khz but not good results, then went back to 192khz and still no re-sampler lock in. I do have the vac buffer size at the lowest (128) but have been running this for many months before this cropped up again, during this problem I also went to the highest buffer size (2048)but no change with re-sampler locking in. I have been reading on some other sites and it seems others are having audio issues after the last win 10 update so this may be the issue. If I keep having win 10 possible issue I will go back to win 7 but really don't want to go down that road.

Thanks and 73's

Joe
WD5Y
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:35 pm

Joe, next time it happens, if you haven't before, make sure you not only power down but also turn off the power switch on the computer power supply for about 30 seconds. Just shutting the system down doesn't kill all the voltage to the motherboard.

Joe W4WT
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 am

Thanks Bryan,
I will try that next time as well.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y

Return to “Thetis”