Behringer C1

Buck

Behringer C1

Postby Buck » Tue May 23, 2017 2:30 pm

I've been using the Behringer C1 mic with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and VMB, generally with good results. However, sometimes the virtual chain just flakes out and I'd like the option of hooking the C1 to the front panel instead. It needs phantom power. Can anyone point me to any info or schematic for adapting the C1 or similar studio mic to the front panel input? Thanks.

Buck
w-u-2-o

Re: Behringer C1

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 am

Buck,

For 48V phantom power, which is indeed what you want to use with a large diameter condenser like the C1 instead of the much lower voltage put out by the radio, just buy an external phantom power supply like one of these.

After that you will need to make up a balanced to unbalanced cable to connect from the XLR output of the supply to the input of the radio. Just tie the "-" mic lead to the shield at the XLR end. Or, if you want to do a little better job of it, obtain a 100 Ohm impedance (same as the mic) isolation transformer and use it like this:

Scott

P.S. Or get a Behringer UMC202HD. The driver and the stability is much better than the Focusrite.
AB2EZ

Postby AB2EZ » Wed May 24, 2017 2:40 am

Scott

Couldn't Buck use the microphone level input (left) side of the Focusrite Solo just as a combination phantom supply and preamplifier for the Behringer condenser microphone... and then connect the unbalanced (RCA jack) analog output on the back of the Focusrite Solo directly to the analog front panel microphone input of the Anan.

Stu
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed May 24, 2017 2:54 am

AB2EZ wrote:Couldn't Buck use the Focusrite Solo just as a combination phantom supply and preamplifier for the Behringer condenser microphone... and then connect the analog output on the back of the Focusrite Solo directly to the analog front panel microphone input of the Anan.

The audio from the mic input on the Solo would have to be sent through the PC and then back out to the Solo. While that could be done, I had assumed that Buck wanted to completely eliminate any path through the PC for his microphone audio.

On the other hand, maybe the "direct monitor" mode would work, but on my Behringer I never get much level out of that mode and it only comes through the headphones, too. Not sure about the Solo.
Buck

Postby Buck » Wed May 24, 2017 3:18 am

Thanks Scott and Stu. I may try plugging the analog output of the Focus rite into the front jack, but that would mean doing something with the floor switch I have plugged in there (shades of my days in ATC). And I'm not sure that would solve the problem. Most of the time it works fine, although I had to turn off fast start or sound is distorted. But sometimes (usually when I am Net Control on the MARS Regional net hi hi), there is a pop and I have to restart the computer to transmit. So I think it may be the Focus rite driver.

I will most likely try the Behringer UMC202HD. After installing the driver, would the setup in VMB be much the same?

Buck
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 am

Buck wrote:I will most likely try the Behringer UMC202HD. After installing the driver, would the setup in VMB be much the same?

Identical. Make sure you get all of the Behringer related sound devices set to 48KHz in the Windows Sound control panels. And make sure you open up and explore the Behringer UMC control panel. You can adjust the driver latency mode and buffer size in there. Larger/longer = safer/smoother at the expense of some latency. Experiment with that to see how small/fast you can make the buffers.

BTW, I've experienced that "pop" business. To recover I would pull the USB cable, plug it back in, then in VMB go to the menu and click "restart audio engine". The latest version of VMB now has an "auto restart" option. I don't have that problem anymore with the latest Behringer drivers and the latest version of VMB. This is under Windows 10 Pro.

Scott
Buck

Postby Buck » Fri May 26, 2017 2:26 pm

I look at the windows sound panels from time to time; we know how windows updates tend to reset things to their liking. The latest one turned fast start back on, for example. I'm expecting the UMC202HD today, and will post results.

Buck
Buck

Postby Buck » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:04 am

I like the UMC202HD. It seems smoother than the Focusrite.

Buck
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:02 am

Glad to hear it, Buck!

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”