Power Supply for 8000DLE

kd6grd

Power Supply for 8000DLE

Postby kd6grd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 am

In the Technical Specs for the 8000DLE it says 13.8V @35A is the power requirements.

What are people suggesting for power supplies?

I was thinking of an Astron 35A. has anyone had problems with this?
John-G0ORX

Re: Power Supply for 8000DLE

Postby John-G0ORX » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:59 am

I would suggest getting something a little bigger than 35A so there is some head room. I have a 40 Amp linear supply (not Astron) and that has been working with no problems.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 am

Second hand report, as I don't have an 8000, however a ham friend of mine has been unable to run continuous two-tone tests at 200W with his Astron RM-50. Could it be low voltage from the supply or loss in the power cables, I don't know. You would think an RM-50 is sufficient, it is rated at 37A continuous, 50A peak. Perhaps an RM-60 might be a better choice in the Astron world, it's rated at 50A continuous.

Scott
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:17 pm

I use a Jetstream JTPS45. Very quiet and cruises along just fine at full power out.
Chris, W2PA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 am

Update from my post above: said friend found that his power cables were causing excessive voltage drop. With proper length/gauge cables, the RM-50 seems to be working fine.

73!

Scott
W2PA

Re: LCD Fault

Postby W2PA » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:45 am

More LCD Display adventures...

Over the past two weeks I've had faults occur at seemingly random times that read "50V SUPPLY IDLE CURRENT EXCEED" - flashing and beeping, and preventing the 8000 from starting. Read on in case this happens to you. I hope I can save you some worry.

I was noticing two strange things: 1) The two-tone test (triggered from the Linearity menu) was causing a distinct buzzing noise that increased in volume with increasing transmit power (drive) level, and 2) it sometimes caused one of these faults to occur as I reached a level up around 100W or so. Otherwise operation of the rig was completely normal, on CW, on SSB, on AM, at all power levels, with or without driving an amplifier. Only during two-tone test was this occurring, or soon afterward on restarting.

When this fault happens, the only way to recover seems to be to shut down the main power, shut down the power supply too, wait 10-15 minutes (maybe longer), and restart the unit. The first time it happened it took only a minute or less to recover, so when it didn't recover this afternoon I sent an email to Apache support around 3:00 p.m. reporting the problem and fearing the worst.

I was pleased to receive an email response from Apache at 6:23 p.m. - what I judged to be very fast! The support person reported that there was a bug in the LCD code that might be causing this, and sent along version 1.07 for me to try. I did, and it went immediately back to starting up in fault mode after the load. Uh-oh. I then pushed in the "STANDBY" button and restarted (i.e. re-connected the USB cable) and this time everything went back to normal. I don't know if starting in STBY did anything or if just restarting a second time did.

One more thing. I suspect that the two-tone test is stressing my power supply, a Jetstream JTPS45 switching PS. The buzzing noise I mentioned above, which I thought was coming from the 8000, was actually coming from the PS. I hooked up a scope to the terminals and noticed that there was a pronounced modulation of the output occurring, that resembled the two-tone test signal. It's not RF-caused because a bypass capacitor didn't make any difference whatsoever. This PS just seems to not like having an AF varying load. I surmise that when this modulated supply voltage gets up to a certain level in amplitude (i.e. as I increase the drive level), the logic in the LCD board and processor, who get their power from this source, throw up their hands in frustration and have a seizure.

By the way, modulation of other kinds - voice, cw, etc. - also cause fluctuations in the PS output, resembling the modulation characteristic. So I'm guessing further that these particular tones present in the 2TT are particularly annoying to the JTPS45's circuitry.

I don't know if this is something particular to this model of PS, the JTPS45, or whether it's a problem with my particular unit. So beware of this strange story if this happens to you. I'll post more if and when I get more clarifying information. I plan to contact Jetstream, and try another PS, too.

The scary part of all this was that along with a warning of excessive current and a buzzing noise, quite similar to an arcing sound, with a frequency similar to the 2TT, and the PS itself going into its own fault mode along with the 8000, it was beginning to feel like something was seriously wrong with the hardware. Once I located the sound to the PS and recreated the fault with only the LCD board powered (via USB while updating the firmware), it became clear this had nothing to do with the actual 50V supply.

All is well tonight. No more faults thus far. I plan to avoid using the 2-tone-test entirely until I get a different power supply or figure out if this one can be cured.
Last edited by W2PA on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris, W2PA
Simon

Postby Simon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 am

Chris,

I also has a buzz from a 40 amp Diamond SM PSU. I have no buzz from my Manson SPS-9620.

IMO the LCD code is too enthusiastic and can be a right pain but I'm sure it'll improve.
sdr-radio.com
G0MGM

Postby G0MGM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks for posting about the buzz, I got my 8000 on friday and set it up and had no buzz running 200w on SSB into load, wanted to make sure everything was OK. I then upgraded to 1.6b and (as discussed with Simon off-line) did not see 1.6b on the display but I started getting the buzzing sound. At first I thought it was the radio but found it was my Mydel 50SWIII that was buzzing. I only seem to get the buzzing on SSB, not CW or data.

Rob
G0MGM

Simon wrote:Chris,

I also has a buzz from a 40 amp Diamond SM PSU. I have no buzz from my Manson SPS-9620.

IMO the LCD code is too enthusiastic and can be a right pain but I'm sure it'll improve.
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am

Note that there have been some power supply issues when the 8000 is under transmit load, particularly with certain modulation types. See this forum thread (https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2377#p2546) for details.

Summary: modulation of the DC output of some power supplies can affect logic circuits in the 8000, particularly the LCD display, which can cause faults.
Chris, W2PA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:37 am

W2PA wrote:Note that there have been some power supply issues when the 8000 is under transmit load, particularly with certain modulation types. See this forum thread (https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2377#p2546) for details.
Let's keep power supply discussions in this sub-forum, please. That way they are all concentrated in one place for future reference. I have moved the posts from the other forum to here.

Thanks,

Scott
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am

Yes - please reply to my above post here, not there. The discussion I referred to started out - and continues to be - a matter related to the LCD firmware. So it's got dual topics, belonging in two places: Power supply topic continues here, firmware continues there.
Chris, W2PA
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Fri May 05, 2017 2:12 am

I'm using the RD Power 1KW supply.

http://www.rdpower.net/

It's a quiet switcher, available in either 75A or 150A output current. Voltage is adjustable up to +14.5V. No APP connectors here: Both models use large, 1/4-inch brass bolts. I crimped ring terminals on the ends of the Apache-supplied power cable and the connection is solid.

The designer claims switching spurs less than -90 dBm measured across the DC output terminals. When time permits, I'll measure it on an Agilent N1996A spectrum analyzer.

Negatives: fan noise is a bit loud, the power cord isn't detachable, and the worst part -- the manufacturer uses case rivets rather than machine screws. When service is required, it's either a trip back to the sole proprietor or one will need to drill-out all the case rivets. That's a shame because the supply does seem electrically well-designed .

Paul, W9AC

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”