Space bar MOX causes TX audio garbage?

N7CXI

Space bar MOX causes TX audio garbage?

Postby N7CXI » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:10 am

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I recently tried using the space bar to key the 7000 DLE MKII via PowerSDR mRrx.
I was immediately told that my audio was "severely distorted"...

Has anyone else had this occur? I just got the latest batch of RX audio glitches fixed by removing VirtualBox and Wireshark, but this one has me puzzled.

Also: I'm not "holding" the space bar, just pressing it once to key and once more to un-key. PTT via the rear apron PTT connector works without issue.

Thanks!
Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Re: Space bar MOX causes TX audio garbage?

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:28 am

I can not begin to fathom how the method of PTT could possibly affect your audio in any way.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:49 am

w-u-2-o wrote:I can not begin to fathom how the method of PTT could possibly affect your audio in any way.

I can't either.

What *appears* to be happening is that pressing the space bar is causing some PowerSDR thread to stutter. Why or how I don't know.
If I have time this weekend I'll un-install PowerSDR, remove everything relevant from the AppData folder or folder, re-install and try again.

I already tried exporting and re-importing the database with no effect.

The only other thing I've thought of that I haven't tried yet is rebooting the (1Gb fabric) L2 switch between the rig and the PC. I'll do that, if I can get my wife away from the TV long enough to allow it.

Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:58 am

"Stutter". Now there's a word that is a clue.

You are chasing after zebras. Look for horses.

Is it a USB keyboard or wireless? I bet it's USB and you've got RFI on the USB line causing the PTT to go crazy. Change to a wireless keyboard. They all run at 2.4GHz and are generally immune to HF RFI.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Thanks, Scott.

I wish it were that easy. The keyboard is wireless and RF levels in the shack are generally very low. I can hear it in a monitor receiver when transmitting into a dummy load.

Aargh. I think I will try a different keyboard tho. That machine has a fancy Logitech ergo-whatever on it, and it’s easy to do and check off the list. Thanks for the idea.

Jim N7CXI
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:03 am

Hello Jim, i would like to know.....was it your keyboard?
73 Leon
73 PD3LK Leon
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:39 am

Hi Leon,
Sorry about the delay replying.

Unfortunately, I don't know. i've since moved over to Thetis-x64, and at least so far the keyboard PTT hasn't worked at all.
It probably *does* work, but just setting the spacebar selection under "Keyboard" to "PTT/MOX" doesn't do it. I don't have
much time to operate, so I haven't run across the right "enable thisorthat" checkbox yet.

Given the many advantages Thetis brings, I probably won't be going back to PowerSDR mRx.
When all else fails, change the equation, I suppose.

Jim N7CXI
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:49 am

... and I just found the checkbox:

Setup->Options->Options-1->Keyboard[Enable Shortcuts]

Now to find out if the odd audio behavior followed me here. :-)

Jim N7CXI

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”