Considering trying an ANAN - questions

SR-71

Considering trying an ANAN - questions

Postby SR-71 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:20 am

I've owned a Flex-6700 for a few years now, but lately have been considering buying a 7000DLE MKII. (I used to own a Flex-5000A so I'm somewhat familiar with PowerSDR including the KE9NS version.)

A few questions about he 7000DLE MKII:

* What enhancements does this model have over previous models?
* What is involved with interfacing the 7000 to after-market digital programs? (Comm Ports, DAX Interfacing, etc?)
* What are the pros and cons of buying a 7000DLE MKII with the embedded PC?
* Can the 7000DLE MKII be remotely controlled with a remote PC (via LAN or WAN)?
* Was the 8000 model dropped? If so, why?

And I'd like to hear comments from anyone that has moved from a Flex 6000 series rig to an ANAN 7000.

TIA

KF4HR
w-u-2-o

Re: Considering trying an ANAN - questions

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 pm

* What enhancements does this model have over previous models?
That's a tough question. It depends on which models you are comparing. If we simply look at the 7000MKII vs. the original 7000 the differences are quite minor. There is a slightly revised TX chain that provides a little better IMD performance. Compared to the older 200D both receive and transmit performance are a few dB better, and the chassis is certainly better (better cooling, better connectors, etc.) Compared to the 100D and previous the differences are more dramatic. The 8000 is a bit of white elephant. It shares the same vintage Orion MKII board as in the original 7000, but the amp, connectorization, and packaging is very different.

* What is involved with interfacing the 7000 to after-market digital programs? (Comm Ports, DAX Interfacing, etc?)
You will find it nearly identical to the Flex 5000, but the software has many more built-in serial interfaces. Some virtual audio cable software and some virtual serial port software and you are in business.

* What are the pros and cons of buying a 7000DLE MKII with the embedded PC?
The only pro I can think of is that it takes up less space in your shack. Everything else is a con: harder to upgrade the PC, now you have an extra PC to deal with, you are stuck with the kind of PC (NUC) that fits in the chassis, etc.

* Can the 7000DLE MKII be remotely controlled with a remote PC (via LAN or WAN)?
Not anywhere near as easily as a modern Flex radio. Since the ANAN hardware works with the openHPSDR thick client software (PowerSDR mRX or Thetis), you are faced with the same issues as you were when you owned your 5000. So you have to roll your own solution.

* Was the 8000 model dropped? If so, why?
It would appear so. Nobody is saying, but if I had to guess I'd say that sales dropped off after everyone who wanted one had one, and most folks did not find the 200W amp to be a benefit. Plus it was a step backward in terms of the available RF routing options. And it was quite physically large.

Scott

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”