Automatic ID feature built into Thetis

KC2QMA

Automatic ID feature built into Thetis

Postby KC2QMA » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:35 pm

It would be nice to have an Automatic ID feature added to Thetis.
Here is a video of this feature that Darren KE9NS added to Power SDR for the Flex 5000 about 7 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KSlMNyN8U0
JJ4SDR

Re: Automatic ID feature built into Thetis

Postby JJ4SDR » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:09 pm

I think that on the "General" form, Option 2, you can define the way Automatic ID works. I would imagine that the source file of audio can be voice and/or CW for instance.

73!
Juha
NI2M
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:47 pm

That's not an automatic ID feature. It's an ID reminder feature. Nothing is played over the air.
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:01 pm

Hope that this shortcoming will get remedied at some point.
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:55 am

The timer feature is helpful, but it would be nice to have an Automatic ID that transmits the users (call sign) ID over the air as CW or Audio file and waterfall ID would be very cool.
I love what Darren KE9NS has done with PowerSDR.

NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am

How does it prevent the ID'er transmitting when someone else is already transmitting?
Gary NC3Z
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:12 pm

NC3Z wrote:How does it prevent the ID'er transmitting when someone else is already transmitting?

On the SSB nets I'm part of, and listen to...well, the CW ID transmits over the existing conversation. I've never found it to be a problem, possibly others have. The FCC is fine with an automated transmission provided the ID doesn't simultaneously collide with others. That could be a problem if several stations automatically ID at the precisely the same time -- which is why it's probably best not to sync the ID'er to the absolute 10-minute marks on a PC clock (i.e., "on the tens") -- or at least make it an option. But if the 10-minute timer is only roughly randomized with others in a group, then it's possible to avoid a mass collision of CW IDs.

I'm not sure how KE9DS does it, but have a look at the PC-based ID'er from Romac Software:

http://www.romacsoftware.com/Ider2012/CWIdentDefault.asp

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:23 pm

I'm with Gary on this. ID should not transmit at a time of it's own choosing.

Perhaps the solution to this is to simply queue up an ID for transmission and indicate to the operator an ID is pending. Then the next time the operator transmits the ID will be transmitted. IMHO that would be good enough, certainly within the spirit if not the letter of the law, and would substantially prevent disturbing a busy channel.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:30 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:I'm with Gary on this. ID should not transmit at a time of it's own choosing.

I'm not trying to knock it, but on our eve 160M net we have had this discussion how to get around this. Currently I am using StreamDeck to send a Voice ID, but I have to hit the SD Button for it to work.
Gary NC3Z
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:31 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Perhaps the solution to this is to simply queue up an ID for transmission and indicate to the operator an ID is pending. Then the next time the operator transmits the ID will be transmitted. IMHO that would be good enough, certainly within the spirit if not the letter of the law, and would substantially prevent disturbing a busy channel.

That's a good SSB solution as long as the ID is issued reasonably close to the 10-minute marker in the queue. Even if the timer is queued, it may require waiting well beyond ten minutes to ID after a long-winded op finishes. Then I think it's a judgement call. Transmissions from some AM ops seemingly go on forever. And, then there's a potential AM heterodyne problem too.

Paul, W9AC
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 pm

Now hold on just a minute.

All you guys advocating for a voice/cw id feature have to get in line behind me.
My requests for an echo unit and a roger beep takes precedence!

Bryan
W4WMT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 pm

w9ac wrote: That's a good SSB solution as long as the ID is issued reasonably close to the 10-minute marker in the queue. Even if the timer is queued, it may require waiting well beyond ten minutes to ID after a long-winded op finishes.
That's what I meant by "spirit of the law". If you are in a long winded over then you are already in TX and the ID can go out over the air. If someone else is in a long winded over then the channel is busy and nobody can complain that you had to wait.
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:09 pm

W4WMT wrote:Now hold on just a minute. All you guys advocating for a voice/cw id feature have to get in line behind me.
My requests for an echo unit and a roger beep takes precedence!

Bryan
W4WMT

Already done. Well, one of them anyway. For grins. I created a "Quindar" end-of-message tone as used by NASA during the Apollo missions. Two tones were used as part of Apollo's Unified S-Band System. 2525 Hz for PTT On, and 2475 Hz for PTT off. The duration of each tone is 250 ms. Both tones were only generated at the Capule Command position to key one of the directed worldwide uplink stations.

One of my QSK Lite boards manages tone sequencing and compensates for digital audio latency. A small toggle switch on my PTT control box engages the tone. I got the idea from a JA op who effectively used it as a roger-beep during DX pileups. I use it sparingly with weak DX stations.

Paul, W9AC
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:27 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:...That's what I meant by "spirit of the law". If you are in a long winded over then you are already in TX and the ID can go out over the air. If someone else is in a long winded over then the channel is busy and nobody can complain that you had to wait.

Just sayin, the letter of the law ("spirit" notwithstanding) requires that every operator ID at least every 10 minutes...it doesn't say, "except when allowing for long-winded op's".

Mark
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:40 pm

Already using RoMac Id'r and you can set it to sync with the PC clock OR you can set your own start time even has a wait to un key option, Audio file playback or CW.
I would just love to see this type of capability built into Thetis :) :D

Maybe it can be combined with the built in Timer Reminder feature in OPTIONS 2 menu ?

w9ac

Postby w9ac » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:26 am

KC2QMA wrote:Maybe it can be combined with the built in Timer Reminder feature in OPTIONS 2 menu ?

Nice work from KE9NS. That's a slick ID implementation with several options.

Paul, W9AC

Return to “Thetis”