Estimated PBSNR Meter Not Working

Rob52

Estimated PBSNR Meter Not Working

Postby Rob52 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:35 pm

I'm having an issue with the Estimated PBSNR meter. It has stopped working and not sure why. I'm thinking it may be something simple that I'm overlooking.
Coincidentally, if I am using the Record/Play function, the meter will start working on playback, but not in real-time.
I'm hoping someone here on the forum may be able to shed some light.
Thanks

EDIT: I should have explained that the meter I'm referring to is the meter selected from Setup/Appearance/Multimeters/Estimated PBSNR
Thanks
K1SR
Rob
W9BHI

Re: Estimated PBSNR Meter Not Working

Postby W9BHI » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:14 pm

I just tried mine and it is working.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:31 pm

Just tested it here and made a quick vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCW_Z_syic
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:07 pm

Hi Richie,

When did the normalize function get added?

Previously noise measurements (NPSD, PBNP and PBSNR) utilized the noise floor line that is automatically calculated and the results were within 1dB or less of being accurate. Having a user accessible "normalize" adjustment is just an opportunity for someone to shoot themselves in the foot and uncalibrate a measurement that is already performed with very reasonable accuracy.

Cheers,

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:33 pm

a long time ago in 2.9.0.8, but it doesn't need to be used, like so many other things. There has always been an option to offset the NF calculation, aka Shift in options 2, which is all that button does, to obtain 0dB snr.

The estimated NF calcs are dependant on width shown in the view, fft size, detectors in use, averaging, so many other things. As an example, just zoom out, or in and see the changes. All that button does is shift the NF by a required amount to give a 0dB snr at the noise floor, it doesn't need to be use, but it can if you quickly want to get back to a 0dB snr when for some reason it is not.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:37 pm

ramdor wrote:The estimated NF calcs are dependant on width shown in the view, fft size, detectors in use, averaging, so many other things. As an example, just zoom out, or in and see the changes. All that button does is shift the NF by a required amount to give a 0dB snr at the noise floor, it doesn't need to be use, but it can if you quickly want to get back to a 0dB snr when for some reason it is not.
Remember that we worked on the math together with Warren ;)

I never noticed that button because I don't want to un-calibrate the measurement. IMHO it's unnecessary. Your noise floor measurement algorithm is spectacularly good. I'm still amazed it does as good a job as it does even on a crowded band.
Rob52

Postby Rob52 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:19 pm

Richie, thank you very much for your help and putting the video out there as well.

Scott, my initial issue was the Estimated PBSNR meter was not working correctly. The meter was reading below zero db. I could see a difference between moving from no signal to a SSB signal e.g. I might see -75db (no signal) to -55db (SSB signal). Due to the values reading negative on the meter the bar portion would not register. Pressing the reset button and then pressing the normalizing button in the Options 2 panel had no affect on resetting the meter.
I'm not positive, but I may have had a corrupted DB. I went back to an earlier DB a few weeks old and the meter worked correctly.

Thank You to both of you.
K1SR
Rob

Return to “Thetis”