Are There Two Meter Skin Directories?

W3MMR

Are There Two Meter Skin Directories?

Postby W3MMR » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:38 pm

Thetis Version 2.10.3.3

Ok, so a few weeks back, I added an OE3IDE meter skin pack. Its been working great. Today, I wanted to modify the "dark mode" meter skins and add my touch to them. I did so and I made sure to modify all 3 .png files for the dark meters. Weird thing is, when I fire up the software, the meter skin is still the same, unmodified OE3IDE version that I had installed. How is that possible when the files aren't there for the software to use? I also noticed that the non-dark mode meter skin is not in the meter directory either.

The directory location is as follows:
C: > Users > Username > AppData > Roaming > OpenHPSDR > Meters

Is there another directory? There has to be somewhere that the software is getting the files from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive built many skins over the years and also modified meter skins before with no issue.

Thanks!
-- Perry
oe3ide

Re: Are There Two Meter Skin Directories?

Postby oe3ide » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:44 pm

W3MMR wrote:Thetis Version 2.10.3.3

Ok, so a few weeks back, I added an OE3IDE meter skin pack. Its been working great. Today, I wanted to modify the "dark mode" meter skins and add my touch to them. I did so and I made sure to modify all 3 .png files for the dark meters. Weird thing is, when I fire up the software, the meter skin is still the same, unmodified OE3IDE version that I had installed. How is that possible when the files aren't there for the software to use? I also noticed that the non-dark mode meter skin is not in the meter directory either.

The directory location is as follows:
C: > Users > Username > AppData > Roaming > OpenHPSDR > Meters

Is there another directory? There has to be somewhere that the software is getting the files from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive built many skins over the years and also modified meter skins before with no issue.

Thanks!
-- Perry

If you have checked "add to current Skin", you will find a Meters folder also in the skin directory. Thats the place to put it in.
W3MMR

Postby W3MMR » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:22 pm

Like I mentioned, I did put the modified meter .png's into the meters folder in the skin directory. I checked and unchecked the "add to current skin" box and nothing happens.

Maybe im not quite understanding what you're saying.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:31 pm

W3MMR wrote:Like I mentioned, I did put the modified meter .png's into the meters folder in the skin directory. I checked and unchecked the "add to current skin" box and nothing happens.

Ok, to clarify:
There is a Meters folder in %appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Meters
=> this is holding the meter graphics for all skins, which don't have meter graphics included (=> default meter graphics)

Each skin folder can have a Meters folder. ie. %appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Skins\OE3IDE-XMAS\Meters
=> this is used if the skin - in this case "OE3IDE-XMAS" is selected

If these meters graphics don't show up in your selected/desired skin, there must something wrong with the filenames.
Maybe you post, what you have in the directories.

Edit: And if you add meter graphics, you have to restart Thetis (thanks Richie for that hint)
W3MMR

Postby W3MMR » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:46 pm

oe3ide wrote:
W3MMR wrote:Like I mentioned, I did put the modified meter .png's into the meters folder in the skin directory. I checked and unchecked the "add to current skin" box and nothing happens.

Ok, to clarify:
There is a Meters folder in %appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Meters
=> this is holding the meter graphics for all skins, which don't have meter graphics included (=> default meter graphics)

Each skin folder can have a Meters folder. ie. %appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Skins\OE3IDE-XMAS\Meters
=> this is used if the skin - in this case "OE3IDE-XMAS" is selected

If these meters graphics don't show up in your selected/desired skin, there must something wrong with the filenames.
Maybe you post, what you have in the directories.

Edit: And if you add meter graphics, you have to restart Thetis (thanks Richie for that hint)

OK ok ok... I now understand. I didnt know that each skin had its own meter folder. Because when I added the meter skin and bezel skin before, I added them to %appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Meters and it worked fine. So when I went to add the new files, i did it to the same place and it wasn't working. Which is what confused me.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Sometimes I need that :)

Return to “Thetis”