TX Profile updates

ramdor

TX Profile updates

Postby ramdor » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:48 am

Hi,

The next release of Thetis will take it 2.10.3 and as such is a good time to include any updates required to the TX Profile table in the database.

Warren has implemented mic phase reversal which will be included, and there are a few other things I want to add which I will be working on today.

FM RX AF filter low and high cut (new)
FM TX AF filter low and high cut (new)
VAC Audio Force In (rx1 + rx2)
VAC Audio Force Out (rx1 + rx2)
SwapIQ (new, rx1 + rx2)
Disable audio amplifier (rear speaker sockets)

If you can identify any other settings that you think might be worth recovering and storing with each tx profile that would be great. Cheers.
Last edited by ramdor on Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W4WMT

Re: TX Profile updates

Postby W4WMT » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:53 am

ramdor wrote:VAC Audio Force In (rx1 + rx2)

Hi Richie,
Something wrong with the resampler ratio "Force" functionality?
Bryan W4WMT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:03 am

W4WMT wrote:
ramdor wrote:VAC Audio Force In (rx1 + rx2)

Hi Richie,
Something wrong with the resampler ratio "Force" functionality?
Bryan W4WMT

I'm also curious what these changes are about?
w4bf

Postby w4bf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:19 pm

Pull monitor audio off the receiver I-Q and not from the pure signal corrected I-Q going to transmitter. You loose one channel of monitor audio when in AM due to the way PS works on AM, at least that is the way it works with my 7000 and amplifier.
w2gs

Postby w2gs » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:28 pm

Hi Richie,
TX profile feature requests.

The first is to make NR2 status part off the saved profile or save it's current state until changed. NR2 is one of the best features of Thetis and it's operational state is somewhat erratic.

The second is that the Band Stack remember the TX profile associated with each segment when the Band stack is clicked through. For example on each band I have four Band stack "profiles" setup. These usually are CW, FT8, RTTY, and SSB defined by TX profile and band segment. When clicking the Band Stack through from CW to SSB the TX profile associated with each Band Segments remains unchanged. In this example if I start with CW and click through to SSB the TX profile is CW when I get to SSB. Clicking once more I go to CW and I am in the SSB TX profile. This is more of a problem since there is no TX profile selection in the CW GUI and I have to change modes to SSB to see the TX profile selection box and then change to CW (in SSB mode) and then change back to CWU.

Thanks for considering the above and for all your great work and quick response to question and user request.

73, George
W2GS
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:39 pm

W4WMT wrote:Something wrong with the resampler ratio "Force" functionality?
Bryan W4WMT

I tend to force them when running data modes, especially SSTV and the like. There is nothing wrong with them afaik, but their state is not stored along the with the TX profile atm.
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:49 pm

ramdor wrote:I tend to force them when running data modes, especially SSTV and the like. There is nothing wrong with them afaik, but their state is not stored along the with the TX profile atm.

Okay, cool. I didn't realize they weren't being stored in the TX profile.

I've been working on Issue #87 with Sherman W4ATL. He's tested it with N1MM during a couple of contests and reports that it works well. I don't know if that's something you would be interested in rolling in to v2.10.3 or not?
73, Bryan W4WMT
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:56 pm

w2gs wrote:The first is to make NR2 status part off the saved profile or save it's current state until changed. NR2 is one of the best features of Thetis and it's operational state is somewhat erratic.

operational state of things like that is not normally stored against a TX profile. Just to note, the tx profile is entirely associated with the mode you are in with some limitations. Example, CW uses the same as SSB. FM uses its own, AM/SAM its own, DIGx their own etc.

You can view what is currently saved against a tx profile by clicking the option:

txprofile_items.jpg
txprofile_items.jpg (45.7 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

w2gs wrote:The second is that the Band Stack remember the TX profile associated with each segment when the Band stack is clicked through. For example on each band I have four Band stack "profiles" setup. These usually are CW, FT8, RTTY, and SSB defined by TX profile and band segment. When clicking the Band Stack through from CW to SSB the TX profile associated with each Band Segments remains unchanged. In this example if I start with CW and click through to SSB the TX profile is CW when I get to SSB. Clicking once more I go to CW and I am in the SSB TX profile. This is more of a problem since there is no TX profile selection in the CW GUI and I have to change modes to SSB to see the TX profile selection box and then change to CW (in SSB mode) and then change back to CWU.

Band stack entries store the mode, and mode is related to the TX profile for that mode. So when moving through a stack, if the mode changes to something that requires a different profile, then that tx profile will be restored. This is a different discussion and is already a requested feature over on github iirc.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:57 pm

Richie, I have a couple of feature requests, if doable:

1) Master AF slider controls VAC RX audio volume (not the same as "locked to RX1/RX2 AF sliders").

2) VAC2 Output enabled thru ASIO.

Thanks for everything,
Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:59 pm

W4WMT wrote:I've been working on Issue #87 with Sherman W4ATL. He's tested it with N1MM during a couple of contests and reports that it works well. I don't know if that's something you would be interested in rolling in to v2.10.3 or not?
73, Bryan W4WMT

sounds good ! Just do a PR for it? or if easier email me the changes. Cheers.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:03 pm

whoa... thread derail. I should clarify. I am not asking feature requests or extra functionality, just things/settings that you think might be worth recovering and storing with each tx profile.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:11 pm

Richie,

Very sorry, I misunderstood!

Thanks for clarifying,
Mark
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:08 pm

What about storing PA settings per TX profile?.

People with amplifiers could have a low drive power TX profile for amplifier use and a high power TX profile (100w) to choose from when they don't want to use his power amplifier.
New call sign EA3CL
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:12 pm

ea3aqr wrote:What about storing PA settings per TX profile?.

People with amplifiers could have a low drive power TX profile for amplifier use and a high power TX profile (100w) to choose from when they don't want to use his power amplifier.

honestly, I would prefer users to select the PA profile manually. I can foresee incorrect PA profiles stored, or the user is in the wrong mode and subsequently the wrong tx profile and release the blue magic smoke. However never say never. Thoughts?
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:27 pm

Would be great if you could select a USB audio interface ASIO driver as MIC input under Setup>General>H/W Select. ;)
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:07 pm

KC2QMA wrote:Would be great if you could select a USB audio interface ASIO driver as MIC input under Setup>General>H/W Select. ;)

Hi OM,
Give me a PM here on the forum and I'll send you a link to a WIP that does just that.
Testing phase, if you're brave enough :-)
73, Bryan W4WMT
m1tzr

Postby m1tzr » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:42 am

Hi Richie,

Good to see you back. One thing that bugs me is RX eq status doesn't save with TX profile. If I go onto Digital mode then switch back to SSB then RX EQ is always off and I have to reenable it. Would be nice if it was saved with TX profile.

Cheers
Paul
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:43 am

HI I would also like to be able to couple PA profiles to transmit profiles. I have several PA profiles that are used to change the gain profile depending on what part of the 6 metre band that I am working. ( I find output power drops as I'm getting to the top of the band.) If not would it be possible to have the PA profiles selectable from the operating screen like the transmit profiles are. I understand your view point about getting into trouble with overdrive if the wrong PA profile gets selected. But having already blown my LDMOS amp once for forgetting to change PA profile from the "barefoot setting" to the LDMOS amp setting, I would rather have it the other way and associated with the transmit profile. Yes I need to be careful the way I update TX profiles but that would be better to my way of thinking, LDMOS amps are not so forgiving.
Your software is surperb and a joy (almost) to operate. My thanks for all the work you've put into it, to make it the best there is.

Regards Bob
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:29 am

rx eq profile, yes will add this

PA profile. I will add option much like the audio device recovery and default it to off
[Recover PA profile from TX profile]

edit: just to note this wont help the situation where you need different pa profiles per band segment, as TX profiles are stored against mode. I will have a think about replacing the PA profile label with a drop down list on the main ui.

Cheers
m1tzr

Postby m1tzr » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:23 am

Richie you spoil us :D

Thanks
Paul
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:45 am

Understood ! thanks Richie.

Bob
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:36 pm

Richie,

You have been contributing in a big way to all of this and are painstakingly working to usher in improvements and, dare I say, embellishments :) !

Now, to those who possess a lot of PX profiles it would be very practical or at least helpful if there was a way to save an existing TX profile under a new name, having "Save As" as a choice. As it is now, I will "Save" a new TX Profile and after that I proceed to deleting the previous version that I end up not liking at all after re-tweaking settings. When you have a bunch of TX profiles I am at times hesitant when deleting previous profiles lest I delete one(s) that I actually liked.

73!
Juha
NI2M
(OH1HX)
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
N9HLL

Postby N9HLL » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:23 am

Richie
Two things....First....Thank you SO much for what you do..It is appreciated much more than you could possibly imagine .

And second....Kudos for fixing the FM strategy and allowing the user to change the passband response, While I rarely do any FM, the frequency response on these is just so bad it`s just painful to listen to for any length of time....Looking forward to it.

Take care and again Thank You !!

Rick (N9HLL)
Life is too short for QRP and less than 4kc
3630 eSSB

Return to “Thetis”