Setting up G2 to run rtty

KI4P

Setting up G2 to run rtty

Postby KI4P » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:30 am

Anyone setup the G2 to do rtty using fldigi yet? I think I have vac working with VMB, got cat reading frequency, the rest I am lost on. If in wrong forum move it,
Thanks
Richard - KI4P
KI4P

Re: Setting up G2 to run rtty

Postby KI4P » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:52 am

well, seems no one runs RTTY or at least cares to explain,
Thanks anyway
Richard - KI4P
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:36 pm

73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:14 pm

DL8LAQ wrote:Read here: viewforum.php?f=16

OK!
I found 1 article that is about 5 years old, only seen 1 thing that I could try, I have cat working, audio to FLDigi, just not sure on tuning, digiu or some other way. will mess with it again tonight
Thanks
Richard - KI4P
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:02 pm

Hi Richard,

I haven't had time to try my G2 out with RTTY but I am using the same Thetis profile I was using with my 7000 DLE MK II so it should work fine.

I am very busy right now as I am finishing the groundwork for a 45 x 60 building and the clock is ticking on the equipment rental (Brand New John Deere 644 Wheel Loader)...

Unfortunately, this kept me from any radio time in the WW RTTY contest last weekend.

I will try out the G2 with my current settings and pass them on if it works well.

It will most likely be a couple of days as the weather is still around 100F here and I've been really tired in the evenings after climbing in and out, watering down the dirt, etc, etc... On the other hand, I'm really excited about getting a large workshop / storage building, I've wanted one for many years and the circumstances are finally right.

George / W7GES
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:33 pm

KI4P wrote:

OK!
I found 1 article that is about 5 years old, only seen 1 thing that I could try, I have cat working, audio to FLDigi, just not sure on tuning, digiu or some other way. will mess with it again tonight
Thanks

This thread has nothing to do with the G2. It's a Thetis/Fldigi topic. Are your questions about how to set up Thetis, Fldigi, or both? It doesn't sound like an audio or CAT control question.

For RTTY with Thetis/Fldigi, put Thetis into DIGU mode (so that it disables all audio processing like CFC, etc. on TX and RX), put Fldigi into the correct RTTY mode, make sure the RTTY signal is inside your selected Thetis filter bandwidth, then in Fldigi put the cursors on the signal there. You may or may not have to click the "Rv" (reverse) button in Fldigi to swap the mark/space freq's.

If you want to get fancy, you can access the so-called "dolly filter" (I hate that name) in Thetis. It is only accessible under Setup > DSP > Audio. Enabling that creates a twin passband filter with each band centered at the frequencies shown in the setup window. Using this filter can improve decode performance at the expanse of operating convenience and flexibility. When you enable this filter the location of it will be completely obvious in Fldigi. Set your VFO freq. to put the signal at those audio freq's in the dolly filter passbands as required. If you don't like the selected dolly filter frequencies you can certainly change them.
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:31 pm

W7GES wrote:Hi Richard,

I haven't had time to try my G2 out with RTTY but I am using the same Thetis profile I was using with my 7000 DLE MK II so it should work fine.

I am very busy right now as I am finishing the groundwork for a 45 x 60 building and the clock is ticking on the equipment rental (Brand New John Deere 644 Wheel Loader)...

Unfortunately, this kept me from any radio time in the WW RTTY contest last weekend.

I will try out the G2 with my current settings and pass them on if it works well.

It will most likely be a couple of days as the weather is still around 100F here and I've been really tired in the evenings after climbing in and out, watering down the dirt, etc, etc... On the other hand, I'm really excited about getting a large workshop / storage building, I've wanted one for many years and the circumstances are finally right.

George / W7GES

Thanks! much appreciated
Richard - KI4P
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:58 am

w-u-2-o wrote:
KI4P wrote:

OK!
Thanks

This thread has nothing to do with the G2. It's a Thetis/Fldigi topic. Are your questions about how to set up Thetis, Fldigi, or both? It doesn't sound like an audio or CAT control question.

WELL! AS STATED IN THE BEGINNING, MOVE IT OR DELETE IT!

For RTTY with Thetis/Fldigi, put Thetis into DIGU mode (so that it disables all audio processing like CFC, etc. on TX and RX), put Fldigi into the correct RTTY mode, make sure the RTTY signal is inside your selected Thetis filter bandwidth, then in Fldigi put the cursors on the signal there. You may or may not have to click the "Rv" (reverse) button in Fldigi to swap the mark/space freq's.

If you want to get fancy, you can access the so-called "dolly filter" (I hate that name) in Thetis. It is only accessible under Setup > DSP > Audio. Enabling that creates a twin passband filter with each band centered at the frequencies shown in the setup window. Using this filter can improve decode performance at the expanse of operating convenience and flexibility. When you enable this filter the location of it will be completely obvious in Fldigi. Set your VFO freq. to put the signal at those audio freq's in the dolly filter passbands as required. If you don't like the selected dolly filter frequencies you can certainly change them.
Richard - KI4P
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:08 pm

I'm not sure which decoder software you're using but it doesn't really matter as the basic setup is the same for all...

Select the audio source from Thetis in the RTTY software decoder menu (same one you use for WSJT-x, etc) for transmit and recieve.

I have a separate Thetis transmit profile for RTTY and since the activity is slow outside of contests I run RTTY from within N1MM using MMTTY and 2Tone.

In Thetis I use DIGL as the mode and set the filters via VAR 1. Low is -2430 High is -2048.

I have a SO2R station, Rig 1 is my Anan G2, Rig 2 is my TS-890.

28.08012 on the G2 shows a RTTY frequency of 28.078 for both the rigs if I transmit from either rig I receive the RTTY signal on the other.

I'm not sure if this is "THE CORRECT" way to set this up but it seems to work fine for me. I wasn't able to operate CQWW RTTY last weekend as I was too busy but I haven't changed any RTTY Thetis settings that I can recall.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

George / W7GES

Return to “Thetis”