Thetis starting with standard frequency

vk1hx

Re: Thetis starting with standard frequency

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:13 pm

GW4NNO wrote:So in this case to make 2.10.x work we need to do everything we have been told not to do previously and you can make it work. Your findings confirm my earlier tests anyway Phil. Are you going to run 2.10.1 for a while to see if it stays stable? or revert to 2.9.0.31

Terry. GW4NNO

Terry,

Yes, there was some mention about not installing over the top, however I'm not sure if that related to the last release of 2.9.0.8 (non pre-release version) and going to 2.10, this is what I've experianced so far in getting 2.10.0 and 2.10.1 versions to work.

I can continue to test 2.10.1 for a while to see if the issue doesn't come back.
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:04 pm

Well I managed to break the Band Stack issue by loading an Audio profile from another Database/version of Thetis into 2.10.1.

Luckly I had saved the original database to revert to without having to go through the process. So don't load saved/exported audio profiles. I had to recreate mine.

Also I am not sure why all the Memory/Memory_bak / DXMemory/DXMemory_bak files are also sitting in the Thetis-x64 folder where the DB and Wisdom files are. These files are located one folder back. There is also some ErrorLog text file too. See attached image. Each time I delete this and restart Thetis, they are back. Hmm :?

Unknown.JPG
Unknown.JPG (39.61 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:51 am

Well I tried 2.10.1 over the top of 2.9.0.8 final version yesterday. I thought it was working as I managed to close and reopen Thetis and the frequency and mode were retained. But at that point I had only used one band. As soon as I tried other bands and moved several of their frequencies away from the original bandstack frequencies all did not work after a restart of Thetis. I've given up on 2.10.x for now.

Are you saying Phil that those files are missing from 2.10.x or maybe in the wrong place? I have seen them on my system but can't be sure of where or when.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:31 am

GW4NNO wrote:Well I tried 2.10.1 over the top of 2.9.0.8 final version yesterday. I thought it was working as I managed to close and reopen Thetis and the frequency and mode were retained. But at that point I had only used one band. As soon as I tried other bands and moved several of their frequencies away from the original bandstack frequencies all did not work after a restart of Thetis. I've given up on 2.10.x for now.

Are you saying Phil that those files are missing from 2.10.x or maybe in the wrong place? I have seen them on my system but can't be sure of where or when.

Terry,

I set everything up (band frequencies, modes etc) new database on v2.9.0.8 before upgrading to Thetis 2.10.1 over the top. So far it is still working. But I did break it when importing an Transmit Profile from another version/database.

The files I am seeing in the Thetis-x64 folder where the Thetis database and wisdom file is located. Normally those files are reserved to the folder 1 level up (refer to image below). They are still in that folder but duplicated in the folder I just mentioned. There is also an error log, which I don't see occuring in older versions of Thetis.

Unknown2.JPG
Unknown2.JPG (33.92 KiB) Viewed 2570 times

EDIT:

Thetis v2.10.1 is no longer remembering the last used frequency, so not updating the Band Stack. Also I notice PS not as "clean" looking for one of a better word, so I'm back to 2.9.0.31.
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:36 am

Oh dear, sorry to hear 2.10.1 has now stopped working again! I suppose it was inevitable really.

Strange about the differences in file locations though. Maybe that will be a clue to whoever sorts it out at some point.

Terry. GW4NNO
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:36 am

https://github.com/WD5Y/Thetis

I posted this here because I have been reading of this issue of the frequency loss at Thetis startup, I folded Steve's "database.cs" source file into my Thetis repository, not sure but hoping maybe a resolve to this issue. I did a compare of the two files and could see some differences in regards to the frequency / band data. I had to go through a few more steps to get everything to compile and run but all looks good on my machine. I have been working with Thetis on my own copy at the location above. This is something I have been working with for a very long time, it has some things in the coding that I just worked with, mainly dealing with the "Collapsed view", placement of forms, etc. I have a listing of notes on the repository. It is the latest version 2.10.1, If you use "vac" you will notice a slight audio delay at startup, this is on purpose, seems to help with audio stabilization, in my operation anyway, all I am doing is toggling the buffer value and setting it back to your original setting.

Let me make something real clear here, I am not a developer as in that Ritchie and Steve are, they are the real deal. All I enjoy doing is learning the coding around Thetis, I just put this out there maybe to help get the ball rolling to help with clearing this error up. I am not trying to put any version of Thetis out there to confuse anyone, I have it labeled with my call for that reason. Again, I'm not able to work continuously with the Thetis coding, still have a day job, ha ha, not retired yet. It is there if anyone wants to check out.

73's
Joe
WD5Y
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:52 am

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your reply and work/coding around Thetis to try and rectify the issue Terry and I have been discussing.

As for development etc, its a community based support system and development. Cudos to you for giving it a go mate. I will download your tweak/version of Thetis 2.10.1 and give it a go. As for VAC, I dont use VAC at all, infact I bypass the internal Codec all together so that delay issue shouldn't be an issue.

This week is the time for me to do some testing as I am on days off for work. I'll give it a crack as see how it goes.

Cheers again for the reply. :)
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:01 am

Installed and testing.

After intial setup and setting all bands configuration (mode, Zoom level, Filter setting, frequency position point). When switching bands it will take you to the last used frequency and mode etc which Thetis is open. However, when you close Thetis and relaunch it the same issue is back. It starts on the last band you were on when closing, but the Frequency is at the bottom of the band (Band Stack 1 values) Mode is CWU or CWL, and the corrosponding RX filter is 1.0k and the Zoom is set to 1x. It is the same result for all bands.

So it looks like the data (Band Stack) or something else is not saving/overwriting on Thetis exit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I think I've worked out what the casue of this is. Working with WD5Y's version of Thetis 2.10.1, I like to select both the Auto Save TX Profile options (refer to image below). What I did was untick those options and now Thetis is remembering which Band Stack I was on (freq, Band and Mode etc) after closing an reopening.

If you're havng the same issue, Thetis not remembering the last use freq etc, check if you are using the Auto save TX Profile option (under the Transmit Tab in Setup) and uncheck it and see if that corrects the issue. If not, try WD5Y's version of Thetis 2.10.1.

Transmit.JPG
Transmit.JPG (53.97 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:16 am

Well I'll be buggered.... I've had Thetis turned off for most of the day. Just ran the program and all my settings I'd done (for band, freq, mode, filters and zoom) are all back to square one, Band Stack 1 - freq 7.001, mode CW and filter 5.0k and Zoom at 1x.

How does that work?
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:40 am

OH dear, one minute you are up Phil and then you are down again! Sorry to hear that your settings didn't last the day. I do use those two auto save options for transmit audio profile etc. so that still might have something to do with it but not the complete answer.

Many thanks to Joe for working on this issue too. I haven't tried your version yet but I will do so when I get the chance.

Terry. GW4NNO
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:26 am

I'm retesting Terry... I just had Thetis closed for the last couple of hours and its fine.

Will see how it goes.
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 am

Phil, you are definitely on to something with the auto save tick boxes on the transmit form! I just installed 2.10.1 so I could try Joe's version. When I first ran Thetis 2.10.1 it imported my 2.9.0.8 database as I forgot to press shift. Anyway, just as an experiment, I let it run with the imported database but first went to the transmit form and unticked those two boxes.

I am happy to say that so far, 2.10.1 is now working correctly! it is saving all my frequency, mode and band data on exit and restart. Lets see how it goes.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:12 am

It must have been something I did... Oh I think I know what.. I was testing if our issue was linked to the "Region" setting for a particular country.

I had changed my from Australia to United States. When it I saw it was working, I changed the region back to Australia. When you do that it changes the Band Stack settings and you have to do the process over again. As I went through and sorted each band again it hasn't done it.

I've also installed WD5Y's version on my pain PC. So far so good. Fingers crossed!
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:20 am

Still working here too. You actually see the last used frequency loaded in to the current band stack entry on restart as it should be now. I wonder which of the two tick boxes is causing the problem. Also does it corrupt things if you do a manual save of a transmit profile. Hope that is still okay because that means we have a useable work around now. It is just a small inconvenience to do a manual save after a change rather than having the profile save automatically. I can live with that.

Terry. GW4NNO
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:01 am

GW4NNO wrote:Still working here too. You actually see the last used frequency loaded in to the current band stack entry on restart as it should be now. I wonder which of the two tick boxes is causing the problem. Also does it corrupt things if you do a manual save of a transmit profile. Hope that is still okay because that means we have a useable work around now. It is just a small inconvenience to do a manual save after a change rather than having the profile save automatically. I can live with that.

Terry. GW4NNO

Hi Terry,

I can confirm, that saving Transmit Profile manually "does not" corrupt the database.
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:07 am

I've selected the Auto Save TX Profile on change. seems ok
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:24 pm

Thanks for that Phil, so it is just the save on exit one we need to leave unchecked. I'll try that now.

This discovery also explains why not everyone is seeing the original problem. Not everyone will have those autosave options ticked in the first place.

Terry. GW4NNO
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:45 pm

Yep still works with save on change ticked, so the only one we need to leave unticked is "save transmit profile on Thetis close". Maybe this info should go in a new thread if it proves to work over the next few days. Might save other folks a lot of frustration!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:31 pm

Great work on identifying the relevant setting, gents! It seems definitely related to saving TX profiles.

There is an existing bug report already here: https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis/issues/144

I've added that info to the bug report.
DG8DP

Postby DG8DP » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:56 pm

STUNNING!

I tested the last few hours and between QSO's, Band change etc. I close Thetis and restart again.
No problems anymore!

Thanks you so much for testing, great!
Vy 73 de DG8DP
Chris

www.dg8dp.de
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:33 pm

Glad it is working for you too Chris!

Terry. GW4NNO
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:27 pm

Terry,
Glad there is a work-around. If I read earlier correctly, older versions do not cause this issue? What versions work correctly? Maybe, a comparison of the two sources (earlier to latter) will help with tracking this down for correction. Starting at the “tx save - checkbox” coding in the “setup.cs” file possibly. Someone may be looking into this already but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:26 pm

I've only experienced the issue on versions 2.10.x Joe, but Phil may help you with info on earlier versions.

Terry. GW4NNO
Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:09 am

Ok, I am attaching a screenshot of the error, this shows up when a "debug" is done with Thetis in visual studio. This error throws a "System.NullReferenceException: Object not set to an instance of an object - _frmInfoBarPopup_Button1 was null . The file is "ucInfo.Bar.cs, on line 555. This error only shows up with the "TX Profile Save on Exit" Checked, you uncheck it and no error. I will not make any changes to Ritchie's code, safer for him to do.

73's
Joe
WD5Y
Attachments
Screenshot TX Save On Exit Error - ucInfoBar.cs file Line 555.png
Screenshot TX Save On Exit Error - ucInfoBar.cs file Line 555.png (338.23 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:57 am

Joe wrote:Terry,
Glad there is a work-around. If I read earlier correctly, older versions do not cause this issue? What versions work correctly? Maybe, a comparison of the two sources (earlier to latter) will help with tracking this down for correction. Starting at the “tx save - checkbox” coding in the “setup.cs” file possibly. Someone may be looking into this already but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y

Hi Joe,

Thetis versions I've tested:
2.9.0 up to 2.9.0.6
2.9.0.8 (pre and final release)
2.9.019 (Steve G7KLJ)
2.9.0.27 (Steve G7KLJ)
2.9.0.29 (Steve G7KLJ)
2.9.0.31 (Steve G7KLJ)
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:00 am

Joe wrote:Ok, I am attaching a screenshot of the error, this shows up when a "debug" is done with Thetis in visual studio. This error throws a "System.NullReferenceException: Object not set to an instance of an object - _frmInfoBarPopup_Button1 was null . The file is "ucInfo.Bar.cs, on line 555. This error only shows up with the "TX Profile Save on Exit" Checked, you uncheck it and no error. I will not make any changes to Ritchie's code, safer for him to do.

73's
Joe
WD5Y

Nice one Joe.

I manually worked out that the TX Profile Save was causing the issue... :lol: At least you're able to provide the actual error. That error still exist in your version of 2.10.1.

Thanks again.
Last edited by vk1hx on Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:02 am

Joe wrote: I will not make any changes to Ritchie's code, safer for him to do.

WD5Y

What changes would you be making beside fixing broken code?

Get rid of that Ukraine flag thing too.
Last edited by vk1hx on Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:22 am

I've tested the "Official" release of Thetis 2.10.1 and if I leave the "Save Tx Profile on Thetis close" unchecked the issue is not experianced. However I do have the "Save TX Profile on change" ticked and all good with the Band Stack saving.

I am also not seeing the duplication of Memory and DX memory files saved in 2 locations and the error log file is gone. Refer to previous images in posts above.
73, Phil - VK1HX
Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:54 am

I went further with the debut and it stopped on another exception as well.

Ok, sorry for getting off topic for a moment here. Even if I did know the fix at this point and I don’t, I would not do anything with Richie’s repository. It has to go through proper channels; believe me when I say you don’t want anyone just going in and changing or adjusting the Thetis code in Ritchie’s repository, it is the main Thetis version for everyone that is the most stable. It’s hard enough to sort through without scrambling up more code. I have my own changes made but I only ask certain ones to check it out, if anything might be of use for everyone I ask to please use it, less for me to have to fold into the updated versions for my use. Sorry for the ramble but I believe this will be sorted out soon enough.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:04 am

I just wanted to mention something else, why would you even need the option for the tx profile update on exit? The other checkbox makes more sense, it updates on change which is what you will do first anyway before you exit? Anyway that is confusing unless I’m missing something, maybe just get rid of the checkbox?

73’s
Joe
WD5Y

Return to “Thetis”