Thetis starting with standard frequency

GW4NNO

Re: Thetis starting with standard frequency

Postby GW4NNO » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:07 pm

That may be so, but the "return to last used frequency" option is on the band stack form and this is the bit that doesn't work!

Terry GW4NNO
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:18 pm

KD1GA wrote:Thanks for the response so I can rule out Windows hopefully. Guess I'll role the Thetis version back well :).

It's not a Windows OS issue casuing it. I've had this issue whether running Win11 or Win10 (PRO, Enterpise or LTSC) and on different pc's (laptops and desktops). I (and many other ham mates) run Thetis 2.9.0.31 for speed and less issues. It's also optimised for correctly running the Hermes Lite 2 hardware.
73, Phil - VK1HX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:27 pm

What are the steps to reproduce this problem?
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:52 am

Phil, do you have a link where I can download Thetis 2.9.0.31? I can't seem to find it. I have an Anan 7000DLE mkII not an HL2 but I presume 2.9.0.31 will work for on my rig too. I'd like to give it a try anyway.

Terry. GW4NNO
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:16 am

I've just done some more testing and I think Erwin in an earlier post is correct. It makes no difference in 2.9.0.8 what band stack settings I have, Thetis will always return to my last used frequency and mode when I restart it. In 2.10.x just closing Thetis and then reopening it causes Thetis to revert to a default band stack frequency and mode. i.e. it does not restore the frequency and mode in use when it was closed. As Erwin says, it looks like it is the Quick recall section of Thetis that is not working in 2.10.x. It appears the last used frequency and mode are not saved on exit so can't be restored on restart of Thetis.

This means really that you don't need to do anything to reproduce the problem in Thetis 2.10.x on my system. Just close Thetis and re-open it after waiting for a full save to complete. For me, the settings for last used frequency and mode are not restored .

Terry. GW4NNO
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:09 am

I'm not experiencing any of this behavior in 2.10.1 under Win10Pro. My bandstacks work, frequencies are where I last left them when starting Thetis.
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:44 pm

At last I may have made some progress on my system with this issue. I decided to re-install 2.10.1 x64 again this afternoon and see if I could sort things out for retaining frequency and mode after a restart of Thetis. At first I let Thetis import my previous database but this approach caused the same problem with a restart not using the last saved frequency and mode. So I tried tried with a completely fresh database. I did this by holding down shift when starting Thetis. So far all is working fine! I am gradually changing settings to the values I use and on each change I make sure all is working by closing Thetis and restarting it. So far, Thetis 2.10.1 is starting with the last used frequency and mode etc. so it seems that the problem may have been in the transfer of a 2.9.x database to the 2.10.x versions. It is very laborious putting all my settings back in but I think it will be worth it if 2.10.1 keeps working now.

So the moral seems to be to let 2.10.1 create a fresh database and gradually modify that to your liking rather than using a database from any other version. This works so far for me anyway (touch wood!)

Terry. GW4NNO
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:36 pm

IMO whenever anyone observes a peculiar behavior crop up in Thetis that no one else is seeing, after it becomes apparent that reasonable steps to fix the problem aren't working then the next step should be to rename the database (effectively equivalent to deleting/resetting it) and restart Thetis to see whether the problem still exists. If the problem remains then the database wasn't the problem in the first place so the renamed database can be restored.

In the event that rebuilding my database from scratch ever does become necessary, I maintain a folder of up-to-date screenshots of every Settings tab so I can quickly rebuild the database.

The few times I've had to do a database reset I was glad I'd kept those screenshots up-to-date.

Mark
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:36 pm

GW4NNO wrote:Phil, do you have a link where I can download Thetis 2.9.0.31? I can't seem to find it. I have an Anan 7000DLE mkII not an HL2 but I presume 2.9.0.31 will work for on my rig too. I'd like to give it a try anyway.

Terry. GW4NNO

Hi Terry,

Email sent to your QRZ email address for G4NNO.

Yes it works perfectly (IMHO) on Andromeda, 7000, 8000, 100D, 200D ANAN's. I've remote installed and configured it on many hams systems around the world after they could not get 2.9.0.8 (update from pre release) 2.10.0 and 2.10.1 to be consistantly stable (Audio, PS, layout etc). They've had no issues.

I guess its like the ANAN Protocol 2 firmware, what works for one doesn't always work for another! :)
Last edited by vk1hx on Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:48 pm

K1LSB wrote:IMO whenever anyone observes a peculiar behavior crop up in Thetis that no one else is seeing, after it becomes apparent that reasonable steps to fix the problem aren't working then the next step should be to rename the database (effectively equivalent to deleting/resetting it) and restart Thetis to see whether the problem still exists. If the problem remains then the database wasn't the problem in the first place so the renamed database can be restored.

In the event that rebuilding my database from scratch ever does become necessary, I maintain a folder of up-to-date screenshots of every Settings tab so I can quickly rebuild the database.

The few times I've had to do a database reset I was glad I'd kept those screenshots up-to-date.

Mark

I never load a database from any previous version of Thetis. I will however export audio profiles to load into the new database at the very end.
Once the database is built and I'm happy with it I will take a copy of it just incase something becomes corrupt etc. If that happens I will simply copy the saved database and past over the top of the existing one in the windows roaming directory.

All 2.10.0 and 2.10.1 installs/tests of thetis have been with different OS and hardware, new database builds each time, same result. Closing and opening Thetis will start back at the band I was last on, but at the begining of the band frequency, sets the MODE to CWU, Filters to 5.0k, Zoom to x2. I've gone into the bandstacks and manually changed as much as I can, some will change mode from CWU to USB/LSB etc, others wont. But on a restart of Thetis those changes in the bandstack are back to the original setting.

Thetis: 2.8.11, 2.9.0.4/6, 2.9.0.19/27/29/31 version do not behave the same way. Once a change is made and you close Thetis and reopen it, it remembers all settings for that band.
73, Phil - VK1HX
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:24 pm

Since this particular problem is evidently a database corruption problem I'll just add some hopefully helpful comments about database import (having had my hands in its guts ;-).

The database import function is fairly robust and is designed to scrub even a grossly corrupted database. It tries to take whatever you give it and construct a database that makes basic sense. But it's not perfect - it doesn't check validity of a specific setting's value or look for ones that might conflict with one another. When it can't make sense of something, it ignores it (doesn't import it) rather than trying to import something that might cause a problem.

So generally, starting with a reset database, then importing an old one (even one from a previous version, no matter how old) should fix most problems. If it doesn't, it probably means (again, generally speaking) that there is some sort of inconsistency in the database entries that isn't getting caught by the import function.

In the latter case, instead of resetting and manually redoing all your settings, first try importing an older backup copy of your database. If you regularly make backups you should be able to find one that doesn't contain the offending inconsistency.

If you exhaust your collection of previous backups, then do the manual reconstruction, which should always solve the problem (if it is a problem being caused by the database).

Also, if you are comfortable doing so, you can try editing your database file to eliminate the offending section and then re-import *that* version. As I said, if you totally mess up the file, the import function will still try its best to re-construct something that works.

Lastly, in the same directory where your database file is located, there is a file named ImportLog.txt. That file contains entries generated by the most recent import process. It's not very extensive but looking at it might give you a clue as to what might have happened.
Chris, W2PA
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:11 pm

That was a very helpful post Chris. Thank you. sure enough the import log file showed several bandstack items that were not imported with my last database import attempt. In the end I did rebuild my database manually and so far all is good.

Terry. GW4NNO
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:17 pm

vk1hx wrote:
KD1GA wrote:Thanks for the response so I can rule out Windows hopefully. Guess I'll role the Thetis version back well :).

It's not a Windows OS issue casuing it. I've had this issue whether running Win11 or Win10 (PRO, Enterpise or LTSC) and on different pc's (laptops and desktops). I (and many other ham mates) run Thetis 2.9.0.31 for speed and less issues. It's also optimised for correctly running the Hermes Lite 2 hardware.

Is version 2.9.0.31 coming from Steve G7KLJ? If so, he may have added code that is not in accordance with the GPL v2 license that Thetis must be released under. This may also be why it is not publicly posted anywhere.

2.10.1 is clearly stable (but not without some bugs, of course). All of the problems folks have posted on this forum in the last month or so are easily explainable as either a database import problem, operator error or a firmware issue.

It's also worth noting that the so-called HL2 PureSignal bug was fixed in 2.10.0. There should be no problem with HL2 users running 2.10.0 or 2.10.1. This bug also affected Hermes and other Hermes-like (e.g. TRX-Duo) hardware/firmware platforms, it was not limited to the HL2.
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:41 pm

Yes, you are correct about the source of 2,9.0.31. I just needed to try it to prove where the problem lies. It is certainly the database import issue, but there may still be bugs in 2.10.x with the bandstack system on my setup.

Terry GW4NNO
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:42 am

w-u-2-o wrote:
vk1hx wrote:

Is version 2.9.0.31 coming from Steve G7KLJ? If so, he may have added code that is not in accordance with the GPL v2 license that Thetis must be released under. This may also be why it is not publicly posted anywhere.

2.10.1 is clearly stable (but not without some bugs, of course). All of the problems folks have posted on this forum in the last month or so are easily explainable as either a database import problem, operator error or a firmware issue.

It's also worth noting that the so-called HL2 PureSignal bug was fixed in 2.10.0. There should be no problem with HL2 users running 2.10.0 or 2.10.1. This bug also affected Hermes and other Hermes-like (e.g. TRX-Duo) hardware/firmware platforms, it was not limited to the HL2.

Yes, 2.9.0.31 (19, 27 and 29) are all G7KLJ's versions and were availble on Github. I didn't have the issue on Richies 2.9.0.6 nor on 2.8.11 etc. I noticed it when I did a fresh install of 2.10.0 and noticed the same in 2.10.1. Who cares about code that is not in accordance with the GPL v2 licence?... If Thetis works properly whats the issue?

All databases are setup from scratch, no imports or coversions etc.

The PS issue I was referring to was stability of it running an ANAN not HL or HL2. PS would randomly stop functioning or constantly want to recalibrate. And before you say it, yes MIC and ALC levels are at 0db, audio gain distrubution is correct, tried different PS setting values, etc etc. I've been doing this for a while now. I do not have these issues with the other versions of Thetis.
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:51 am

I agree Phil. I tried doing another clean install 0f 2.10.1 yesterday evening after having got 2.9.0.31 working perfectly. I renamed old directories and after installing 2.10.1 with a clean database same old issue was back with no recall of frequency or mode after a restart of Thetis. I'll stick with 2.9.0.31 now till an alternative working version comes out.

Terry GW4NNO
DG8DP

Postby DG8DP » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:43 am

Hi all,

I've been busy the last weeks so I was happy to see all the new comments this morning.

To come back to one single point:
1. V2.9.0 is working
2. V2.10.0 isn't working

I allways delete all files after deleteing Thetis.
I allways use a new Database.
I never import from the old DB.
I'm on Win10 Pro X64 22H2
I tested with Admin or without Admin priv.
I checked the the DB is written on exit, yes...

I also had the situation that afer a clean install it seems to work correct, but after some new starts the same effects come back again.

I tried all of things written before, without any success.

I'll use V2.9.0 as this works well for me.
Vy 73 de DG8DP
Chris

www.dg8dp.de
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:17 am

GW4NNO wrote:I agree Phil. I tried doing another clean install 0f 2.10.1 yesterday evening after having got 2.9.0.31 working perfectly. I renamed old directories and after installing 2.10.1 with a clean database same old issue was back with no recall of frequency or mode after a restart of Thetis. I'll stick with 2.9.0.31 now till an alternative working version comes out.

Terry GW4NNO

Great Terry.

So I did some further testing today.

The situation is that Thetis (for whatever reason) is not writing to the Band Stack. It resets to Band Stack 1 every time instead of saving the frequency and mode you were on which is associated with the pre-configured band stacks. Example: on 40m Band Stack 1 is somewhere around 7.020 and mode is CWU, Band Stack 2 is around 7.110 and mode LSB, Band Stack 3 is around 7.152, Band Stack 4 around 7.180 etc.

So if you are on 40m, frequency 7.138 and you close Thetis and relaunch it, you should be back on 7.138 and the corrosponding Band Stack 3.
Thetis 2.10.0 and Thetis 2.10.1 are not writing to memory which part of the Band Stack you were on on exit. It takes you to Band Stack 1 every time. So I deleted all Band Stacks and redid them, same result.

Another thing I tried was to check if it was MS Windows OS running in either UEFI (Secure Boot mode) or plain CMS (MBR Boot). I did a complete fresh install of Windows 10 and 11, chaning my system from UEFI to MBR for the main OS made no difference.
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:31 am

I've done similar tests with the bandstacks too Phil. I had exactly the same results as you with a clean install of 2.10.x. There seems to be no communication between the bandstacks and the current frequency even after you see from the green flash that it has been saved into the quick recall system. I certainly wish we could find some work around for this problem. At least the bug has been narrowed down somewhat so hopefully someone will sort it out on the next update. The strange thing to me is that not everyone has the issue. I bet more would see it if they did a fresh install with no remnants of any other versions on their computer. Doing a clean install seems to make things worse if anything! I did get 2.10.0.1 to work for a short while after having 2.9.0.8 installed but I didn't do a fully clean install of 2.10.1 on that occasion and I think that sort of helped but I have no idea why.

Terry GW4NNO
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:43 am

GW4NNO wrote: I certainly wish we could find some work around for this problem.

Terry GW4NNO

You have it... Its Thetis 2.9.0.31 :D
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:53 am

It sure is! but you know what I mean. I'd like to stick with the "official" releases if possible but at the moment it seems it is not possible.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:02 am

GW4NNO wrote:It sure is! but you know what I mean. I'd like to stick with the "official" releases if possible but at the moment it seems it is not possible.

What is "Official"? There are so many pre releases of this software. Thetis is not commercially developed and published, its not even supported by Apache Labs, same as the Firmware for the various ANAN units. Its designed and tested by the community of ham radio users.

Anyway, I am installing the "pre" release of Theits 2.9.0.8 and will test the Band Stack behaviour. If all ok I will then install Thetis 2.10.1 over the top and see what happends.....
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:25 am

vk1hx wrote:Anyway, I am installing the "pre" release of Theits 2.9.0.8 and will test the Band Stack behaviour. If all ok I will then install Thetis 2.10.1 over the top and see what happends.....

Ok, so Thetis 2.9.0.8 MW0LGE (pre-release) band stack saving works. Now I will upgrade to Thetis 2.10.1 over the top.
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:35 am

vk1hx wrote: Ok, so Thetis 2.9.0.8 MW0LGE (pre-release) band stack saving works. Now I will upgrade to Thetis 2.10.1 over the top.

Final result.

Installing Thetis 2.10.1 over the top of Thetis 2.9.0.8 pre-release, the band stack saving is working and saving where you last left off.

I'll try the same process with Thetis 2.9.0.8 "Official" non pre-release and resport back.
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:39 am

Of course you are correct about open source software like Thetis, but everyone working together to achieve a common goal has got to be the best way forward really. Maybe "official" was the wrong word and I should have just said a work around to get 2.10.1 working correctly. I am interested to hear how you get on with a none clean install of 2.10.1 after 2.9.08. I think I had 2.10.1 working at first after doing that but when you change a bandstack entry or option it all goes wrong again.

Terry GW4NNO
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:50 am

A clean instal of 2.10.1 (or 2.10.0) ,without a previous verion of Thetis installed, the band stack memory does not work. So far my test where 2.10.1 worked was to install 2.10.1 "over the top" or over the existing version of Thetis already installed.

As I said, I'm about to install the "NON" pre-release of Thetis 2.9.0.8, configure it and test that the band stack memory works as it should. Then install Thetis 2.10.1 over the top of the existing Thetis version and let it convert the database.
73, Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:36 pm

Ok, so I installed Thetis 2.9.0.8 (final release) and setup the database. All working well. Then installed Thetis 2.10.1 over the top, ran Thetis and let it update the database, all working as it should.

Then I deleted the database that was imported/updated by Thetis and commenced with a new database generated by Thetis 2.10.1. Band Stack memory saving works as it should.

There is something missing from Thetis 2.10.0/1 series that relates to the saving frequency changes in the Band Stack when installing just a fresh install of Thetis 2.10 series without a previous installation.
73, Phil - VK1HX
GW4NNO

Postby GW4NNO » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:26 pm

So in this case to make 2.10.x work we need to do everything we have been told not to do previously and you can make it work. Your findings confirm my earlier tests anyway Phil. Are you going to run 2.10.1 for a while to see if it stays stable? or revert to 2.9.0.31

Terry. GW4NNO
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:31 pm

vk1hx wrote:
GW4NNO wrote: I certainly wish we could find some work around for this problem.

Terry GW4NNO

You have it... Its Thetis 2.9.0.31 :D

Steve's 2.9.0.31 (and 2.9.0.29) had a problem with AM RX audio, at least for me.

I was hearing a 750-ish Hz tone in received AM/SAM audio. The frequency of the tone didn't vary but the strength of the tone appeared to be roughly proportional to the overall audio strength in the received signal.

It didn't matter whether the AM station was BCAM or ham band, the 750 Hz tone was always present in the received audio.

The problem didn't exist in in Steve's 2.9.0.27 and earlier builds. I did mention it in a community thread somewhere (I can't find that thread now) but I never reported it to Steve because he ceased taking bug reports soon after releasing 2.9.0.29.

Mark
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:08 pm

K1LSB wrote:
The problem didn't exist in in Steve's 2.9.0.27 and earlier builds. I did mention it in a community thread somewhere (I can't find that thread now) but I never reported it to Steve because he ceased taking bug reports soon after releasing 2.9.0.29.

Mark

Thanks Mark for that update.

I have Steve's 2.9.0.19, 2.9.0.27 and 2.9.0.29 builds if anyone is looking for them. I am not sure if he released any others in between those.
73, Phil - VK1HX

Return to “Thetis”