Thetis 2.10.0 Released (G2 users take note!)

Taiga

Re: Thetis 2.10.0 Released (G2 users take note!)

Postby Taiga » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:12 am

Upgraded from 2.9.0.8 -> 2.10.0 VAC2 stopped working.

Running Windows 10 build 19045

Deleted Thetis 2.908 & installed 2.10.0 - VAC1 works fine, VAC2 wouldn't work, no sound out despite trying all drivers & making sure VAC1 is off, Buffer size = 2048, 48K sample rate.

On Settings -> Audio -> VAC2 monitor (Out), get multiple underflows continually accumulating despite no sound coming out.

Tried resetting the database - > no change

Tried deleting Thetis, then deleting the User ->Roaming ->appdata -> openhpsdr directory, then reinstalling Thetis and manually rebuilding the database from scratch -> no change.

If you can kindly help, offer suggestions re: what to try next, thank you!

VAC2 is useful re: switching between phone/CW and FT8.
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:34 pm

Taiga wrote:Upgraded from 2.9.0.8 -> 2.10.0 VAC2 stopped working.

Surely, you know this.
But you did have RX2 running when you were attempting to use VAC2?
Bryan
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:58 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Torrey--see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4707

Scott, I did as you suggested...swapping out the Thetis and Thetis64 folders with backups after running the v2.10.0 installer.
The FATAL ERROR message did not appear. However, the Thesis opens with the Richie's Release 2.9,0.8 title at the top and no inclusion of G-2 rigs in the RADIO MODEL pull down menu. Nevertheless, the installation is labelled 2.10.0 in the programs control panel.

I don't understand the error message. The path illustrated looks correct. There is never anything in the Db Archive folder.

What do you make of this?

73 Torrey N9PY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:55 pm

Torrey wrote: Scott, I did as you suggested...swapping out the Thetis and Thetis64 folders with backups after running the v2.10.0 installer
That's backwards. Quoting from the other topic:
"If you are in a situation where you are trying to upgrade and you can't get the new version to run, or something is just going crazy and Thetis won't start even with a reset database, then make a copy (just in case) of:

C:\Users\<your windows username goes here>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis-x64

Then delete that original folder completely and try again."
To be even more specific, uninstall Thetis. Delete that folder. Install Thetis.
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:00 am

w-u-2-o wrote:
Torrey wrote: Scott, I did as you suggested...swapping out the Thetis and Thetis64 folders with backups after running the v2.10.0 installer
That's backwards. Quoting from the other topic:
"If you are in a situation where you are trying to upgrade and you can't get the new version to run, or something is just going crazy and Thetis won't start even with a reset database, then make a copy (just in case) of:

C:\Users\<your windows username goes here>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis-x64

Then delete that original folder completely and try again."
To be even more specific, uninstall Thetis. Delete that folder. Install Thetis.

Thank you again Scott! Simplicity rules. All set up now for the G-2. 73 Torrey N9PY.
StefanoAlvaro

Postby StefanoAlvaro » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:40 pm

A strange thing happened to me. After about an hour of activity (a lot of time in transmission) I noticed the noisefloor go up and stay 7-10dB higher than usual. I thought it was caused by some electrical devil, but even by detaching the antenna the noise remained and gradually decreased after a few minutes in stby. I went back to the previous version and it didn't do this anymore, everything is ok. What could it be? Has this happened to anyone else (it takes a long time to transmit otherwise it doesn't)?
dynamicfusion

Postby dynamicfusion » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:56 pm

I've come to find that 2.10.0 is not writing to database upon apply. I can save various audio tab settings, DSP settings, close thetis and reboot, and they are all back to default again. I have uninstalled, cleaned out the appdata remnants, reinstalled, and can repeat this issue. Any one else notice?

I have resorted to using the G7KLJ fork edition ending in suffix .31 from a couple months ago in the meanwhile. No issues on this one.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:55 pm

Database operation is working perfectly here. Can not duplicate your problem.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:50 am

dynamicfusion wrote:I've come to find that 2.10.0 is not writing to database upon apply. I can save various audio tab settings, DSP settings, close thetis and reboot, and they are all back to default again. I have uninstalled, cleaned out the appdata remnants, reinstalled, and can repeat this issue. Any one else notice?

I have resorted to using the G7KLJ fork edition ending in suffix .31 from a couple months ago in the meanwhile. No issues on this one.

I have experienced this issue with this version of Thetis. If you change DSP settings (filters/buffers etc) you need to save the TX profile as these were tied to the TX profiles back a couple of versions ago. If you select the Auto Save TX Profile on close and change it will make life easier..... However, in this version of Thetis there appears to be a bug in that it doesn't always save and it a real PITA. Same goes for selecting MODE (USB, LSB etc) on some bands it will revert back to CWU on band change and close and reopen thetis. What I have looked at is the BAND Stack and noticed various modes for each stack. Changing those modes helps but again hit and miss.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (10.97 KiB) Viewed 3296 times

The other one I've noticed is on the 20m band, if I am at 14.200 and close thetis, then reopen thetis the position of the start frequency is in the CW portion of the band (14.020) every time. I'm not noticing it on other bands, but have not tried it on all bands. I've gone back to Thetis v2.9.0.27 and the auto save work perfectly and closing on a band remembers where I last was.

Maybe there is some other thing I'm not saving to for remembering band position?
73, Phil - VK1HX
dynamicfusion

Postby dynamicfusion » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:15 pm

Ya Phil, we have observed the same. I think it's conclusive that 0.10 has some DB recall and writing issues unfortunately. I'm on. 0.31 of G7KLJ branch. I can post an installer if one is not found on the site anymore.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:23 pm

vk1hx wrote:If you select the Auto Save TX Profile on close and change it will make life easier.....

Be cautious. That setting is a double-edged sword. There are many posts on the forum where folks have wondered "What has gone wrong with my settings?" because they changed something , it auto-saved, and they forgot they had changed it.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:25 pm

Also, can one of you gents please post a formal bug report here:

https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis/issues

The most important part is to document the steps necessary to replicate the problem.
K4IBC

Postby K4IBC » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:08 pm

Why is the TAPR github not setup so issues can be posted? With Ritchie taking a break it would seem like the most likely place for it to get noticed is at the link I posted in the original post.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:26 pm

K4IBC wrote:Why is the TAPR github not setup so issues can be posted? With Ritchie taking a break it would seem like the most likely place for it to get noticed is at the link I posted in the original post.

There are a number of reasons why TAPR is not being set up to do this.

1. Other than Richie, most of the other major developers are not very conversant with GitHub, so they are not inclined to set up and maintain something like that. Indeed, the copy of the source and installer are just dropped on the TAPR site, not implemented as a true development repository.

2. While I have access and could set up an issues database at the TAPR site, I'm personally not in favor of this because it then dilutes the issues database across two different repo's. There remain many open issues on Richie's repo, which is currently at the 2.10.0 revision level. To set up yet another repo loses all that important history and work, and represents a break in developmental continuity.

3. All of the major developers have full rights at Richie's repo. This includes Doug, Warren, Laurence and Rick. They can read, respond, edit, and close issues.

On a more philosophical note, IMHO all development should, at this point, remain in Richie's repo. It is fully and properly setup for cooperative, open source development. However, with Richie on an extended development hiatus that probably won't happen, again because the other main dev's simply don't care to work that way. Nevertheless, Doug was kind enough to commit the 2.10.0 changes back to Richie's repo and create a release there for other, future dev's who may wish to work that way.
BPerk

Postby BPerk » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:49 pm

Using Thetis v2.10.0 with a new G-100, I've experience issues while using CW mode. The radio transmits as if Break-In is turned "On" no matter what the setting might be. Even with Break-In turned off, all CW dots and dashes are transmitted. I've also noted when that happens, I get an ADC1 error.

Bob
K4IBC

Postby K4IBC » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:57 pm

BPerk wrote:Using Thetis v2.10.0 with a new G-100, I've experience issues while using CW mode. The radio transmits as if Break-In is turned "On" no matter what the setting might be. Even with Break-In turned off, all CW dots and dashes are transmitted. I've also noted when that happens, I get an ADC1 error.

Bob

Make sure to read this on the thread you posted the same to, They have made some software and firmware changes for CW.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4723#p25773
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:22 pm

va7qi wrote:The Mode dependent display is just a black frame. As well, there is no way to set up voice squelch that I can see.

I wrote something about that here. https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis/issues/145

You can cycle the squelch type by left clicking on the squelch button and set it up by right clicking the squelch button.

vsql.PNG
vsql.PNG (131.94 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:08 am

Thanks, but my point is: there is no squelch button in Andromeda. ,,,,Erik.
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:22 am

Erik,
You are right. I never thought about this.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM

Return to “Thetis”