Cat Control to Kenwood TS-590SG

vk7zpd

Cat Control to Kenwood TS-590SG

Postby vk7zpd » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:04 am

Hi all, I've been trying to setup cat control between my Kenwood TS-590SG transceiver and the Hermes Lite 2 using Thetis. Cat control works with SDR-Console & HL2 using Omnirig but would like to have CAT control between the 590 and Thetis to take advantage of the excellent noise reduction capabilities on Thetis which is far better than the NR on SDR-Console. I'm running V2.0.9 x64 beta HL2 version.

Thanks to the team who are continuously refining this excellent software.

Phil (VK7ZPD)
w-u-2-o

Re: Cat Control to Kenwood TS-590SG

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:59 pm

Phil--it's not entirely clear what you want to do. Do you want to use the HL2 as a supplemental receiver, tracking the 590 dial frequency as you change it? If so, and if you prefer the HL2/Thetis receiver to the 590, then you might as well just use the HL2 with Thetis as your primary radio and kick the 590 to the curb.

However, if you want to persist with the notion of the HL2/Thetis as only a supplemental receiver, then Thetis alone cannot do what you want it to. You still need some sort of supplemental software (middleware) to read the 590 frequency/mode via CAT and then command Thetis via CAT to track the 590. That probably means Omnirig.

So just setup Thetis and Omnirig in a fashion similar to how you have things setup with SDR Console and Omnirig right now.
vk7zpd

Postby vk7zpd » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Some more explanation. Some of the capabilities of the 590 (e.g. morse padddle input and keyer, not implemented on the HL2) are easier to access and the 590 is 100W output vs 5W on the Hermes Lite 2 (although I have a TL922 interfaced and teste with the HL2/Thetis).

I've been using SDR-Console as a panadapter and to a large extent as a control interface for the 590, I also have set up some switching to allow easy change from the 590 to the HL2/Thetis for Tx.

Not sure how I could get Onmi rig to work with Thetis and the 590, it's possible with WSJT-X and SDR-Console because those applications can reference the Omni RIg port whereas Thetis doesn't show omni-rig in the port assignments.

That said I have the CAT interface half working after re-reading the documentation and some testing with the Test CAT commands in Thetis.
I can now tune Thetis and have the frequency and band chaanges reflected on the 590 just not the reverse, any change on the 590 doesn't change Thetis.

That's no real issue 1 way operation as it's working now is fine for my needs.

My initial testing by setting the correct Com port and speed were unsuccessful but some changes on the Cat Command Options tab brought it to life, not sure exactly which option but I did a test Cat Command with command ZZZM as well as Allow Kenwood AI command and it came to life.
rsaue

Postby rsaue » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:57 am

Hi Phil,
Some functions in SDC (Software Defined Connectors) can do the job. http://lw-sdc.com. TCI must be enabled in Thetis. Download the SDC user manual and read the Rig Sync section.

73 de LB2EG Richard

vk7zpd wrote:Hi all, I've been trying to setup cat control between my Kenwood TS-590SG transceiver and the Hermes Lite 2 using Thetis. Cat control works with SDR-Console & HL2 using Omnirig but would like to have CAT control between the 590 and Thetis to take advantage of the excellent noise reduction capabilities on Thetis which is far better than the NR on SDR-Console. I'm running V2.0.9 x64 beta HL2 version.

Thanks to the team who are continuously refining this excellent software.

Phil (VK7ZPD)
vk7zpd

Postby vk7zpd » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:38 am

Thanks Richard, I’ll look at that and report back.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:09 pm

vk7zpd wrote:Some more explanation. Some of the capabilities of the 590 (e.g. morse padddle input and keyer, not implemented on the HL2)

But they are implemented in Thetis. You can attach a paddle or a straight key or a keyer to an RS232 COM port on your PC and run CW with your HL2. The only gotcha is that you have to provide an old fashioned sidetone generator with the key (or it needs to be built into the keyer) because Thetis does not supply sidetone.
vk7zpd

Postby vk7zpd » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:44 pm

I have a keyer (inexpensive) that will work nicely and which has both straight, paddle and keyboard capabilities plus a piezo for sidetone made by a company here in VK.
So far I’m very impressed with the HL2 Thetis combination.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:02 pm

Within the realm of openHPSDR, Thetis comprises the bulk of the radio. What comes out of the hardware is a 1st (and only) IF.

HL2 is a great value, and together with Thetis provides impressive performance. Consider that if you are happy and impressed with HL2, which only has a 12-bit ADC, imagine how much more impressed you'd be with a 14 or 16-bit ADC on the receiver, which you can get with even the oldest Apache hardware.

That keyer should work well. Provision a serial port (use a USB adapter if necessary) on your PC. Set it up as pictured below. Simply have the keyer short the COM port DE9 pins 7 and 8 when asserting key down.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.37 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
vk7zpd

Postby vk7zpd » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:09 am

Did some more testing on the cat interfacing. Test method was to set up a pair of com virtuals using com-o-com, one to the Thetis, the other to Putty, Then the same test method to the 590. Commands to and from Thetis to change frequency produce the correct strings but Thetis isn’t sending any Mode change strings so that explains why Mode changes aren’t working. In the opposite direction from the TS-590 it appears that no strings are being sent, without delving too deeply my best guess is that the 590 expects to be polled before any Cat strungs are sent.
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:17 pm

vk7zpd wrote:Some more explanation. Some of the capabilities of the 590 (e.g. morse padddle input and keyer, not implemented on the HL2) are easier to access and the 590 is 100W output vs 5W on the Hermes Lite 2 (although I have a TL922 interfaced and teste with the HL2/Thetis).

The CW shortcoming is easily solved with WA2T's upgrade board that converts the HL2 to HL2+. It contains a CW keyer with sinewave sidetone and native I/O audio.

https://www.hermesliteplus.com/

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:41 pm

vk7zpd wrote:Did some more testing on the cat interfacing. Test method was to set up a pair of com virtuals using com-o-com, one to the Thetis, the other to Putty, Then the same test method to the 590. Commands to and from Thetis to change frequency produce the correct strings but Thetis isn’t sending any Mode change strings so that explains why Mode changes aren’t working. In the opposite direction from the TS-590 it appears that no strings are being sent, without delving too deeply my best guess is that the 590 expects to be polled before any Cat strungs are sent.

Yes, that's exactly right. The Kenwood protocol expects to be polled unless the "AI" command is enabled, in which case it will automatically produce a string of information periodically. That function is enabled in Thetis by means of a checkbox. In the 590 I believe it can only be enabled by computer control.

See the command reference guide: https://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info ... nload.html

At the end of the day you are going to need separate software to manage this for you. Did you try the SDC app that Richard suggested?
vk7zpd

Postby vk7zpd » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:11 am

I think I’ve had a look in the options and can’t find anything to turn on automatic sending in the 590. Haven’t had the time to check Richard’s suggestion yet but I intend to. The Cat control I have working at the moment is OK with the limited one way cat exchange to the 590, I mainly use that for panadapter and frequency changes.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:18 am

I do not have any Kenwoods but a quick perusal of the 590's manual indicated that it can be turned On or Off only via CAT using the AI; command.
Gary NC3Z

Return to “Thetis”