Experimental Voice Squelch for Thetis

w-u-2-o

Experimental Voice Squelch for Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:29 pm

This is a quick demonstration of an experimental voice squelch algorithm for Thetis SDR software. The voice squelch software was developed by Dr. Warren Pratt, NR0V. I helped a little by analyzing a hardware version of the algorithm in order to provide data for Warren's efforts.

The intent of the voice squelch algorithm is to provide further improvement to the listening experience over and above the already powerful NR2 noise reduction algorithm. NR2 was also developed by Warren and it continues to be the only example of spectral estimation noise reduction to be found anywhere in amateur radio.

The squelch algorithm discriminates human speech from noise in a two step process. First the algorithm does a band-limited frequency-to-voltage (F-to-V) conversion. The resulting voltage varies according to the primary frequency content of the input signal. The time varying output of the F-to-V conversion is then subjected to a peak-to-average ratio (PAPR) measurement. When the PAPR exceeds an adjustable threshold the squelch is unmuted. There are also the usual squelch-related time constants involved in determining how long the PAPR threshold must remain exceeded before unmute, and how long it must remain below threshold before muting.

With the use of NR2 noise reduction and proper adjustment of AGC gain, and on a band with a stable noise floor, signals with as little as 6dB (1 S unit) of SNR can by reliably processed by the voice squelch. The resulting elimination of noise, even between words on an SSB voice transmission, can substantially reduce listening fatigue. The excellent sensitivity of the voice squelch algorithm allows for the detection of all but the smallest breaking stations when in a "rag chew" type QSO.

This algorithm can't overcome static crashes or an unstable noise floor, nor can it filter out ionosondes and other interfering signals. But on a band with a reasonably stable noise floor it works very, very well.

As to when or if this will be available in Thetis I can't say. My next step is to forward the new code to Richie and Steve.

The UI as shown is probably not going to survive intact. As a non-dev I won't have much say in it ;) but it would be nice to see the SQL button be a three mode design much like the NR button, i.e. SQL (off), SQL (on, normal mode), SQV (on, voice squelch mode). The metering won't have any meaning for voice squelch mode.

73!

Scott
Joe

Re: Experimental Voice Squelch for Thetis

Postby Joe » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:40 pm

Thanks so much Warren and Scott, very impressive; can't wait to get this going on Thetis. There sure is alot going on with Thetis, very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:27 pm

Wow! Cool new addition to Thetis. The Icom 7100 has this feature. But, is buried in the menu system. And not as good as some commercial transceivers implementation.
This really raises the bar for other SDR radios out there. Looking forward to using this in the future. Thanks for sharing.
James
WD5GWY
46flatlander

Postby 46flatlander » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:27 pm

Where is menu located? Cant tell from video. Thanks
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:50 pm

As noted in the write-up, there's currently no released version of this. That might be why you can't find the menu ;)
46flatlander

Postby 46flatlander » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:54 am

Thank You!

Return to “Thetis”