When running a new install of THETIS SW the panafall display in the THETIS main window is totally BLANK

Dick

When running a new install of THETIS SW the panafall display in the THETIS main window is totally BLANK

Postby Dick » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:17 am

Greeting everyone
I downloaded and installed the most recent THETIS SW v2.9.0.6 x64 (4/23/22).

Now, with the new THETIS SW running, I see the expected activity of WSJT-X FT8
decoding BUT the Panafall display in the THETIS main window is totally BLANK !

What's happening with the display ? I make some forward progress but as a "Sage"
has said "no good effort goes unpunished"

Dick/w7wkr

PS - I do not know anything about Protocol #1 or #2 and if this is part of the
"Blank Display" problem

db
w-u-2-o

Re: When running a new install of THETIS SW the panafall display in the THETIS main window is totally BLANK

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:15 pm

Dick,

We need more information to solve your problem.

- Is the panafall blank all the time, only during TX, or only during RX?
- Does the panafall work when you are using phone or CW modes (not WSJT-X)?
- What Windows version are you using?
- What kind of computer with what CPU?
- What sort of video card and monitor are you using (just in case it's a driver problem)?

Scott
Dick

Re: When running a new install of THETIS SW the panafall display in the THETIS main window is totally BLANK

Postby Dick » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:24 pm

Good morning Scott

- Is the panafall blank all the time, only during TX, or only during RX?
The Panafall display remains totally dark during RX and TX

- Does the panafall work when you are using phone or CW modes (not WSJT-X)?
I selected every available mode (CW/AM/etc) and the Panafall display
is totally dark for each mode

- What Windows version are you using?
Windows 7 Professional

- What kind of computer with what CPU?
Dell laptop Latitude E6510 running Intel I5 Core with 8GB installed RAM and 64-bit OS
- What sort of video card and monitor are you using (just in case it's a driver problem)?
Video card is unknown to me. The monitor is the resident Laptop screen

Dick/w7wkr
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:43 pm

Please post screenshots of the entire Thetis main console while operating in RX and TX mode in WSJT-X FT8 so we can see exactly what you're talking about.

Mark
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:43 pm

In Setup > H/W Select, what happens when you click the "Firewall Check" button?
Dick

Postby Dick » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:49 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:In Setup > H/W Select, what happens when you click the "Firewall Check" button?

When I 'clicked' on Firewall Check the result was shut down THETIS and run as Administrator.
I 'clicked' on the power switch and then the red X at the top right corner of the frame. It required me to do extra push-ups (opening TASK MANAGER) to get THETIS to close.

Upon restarting as Administrator an intermediate message "Problem Installing DirectX" was displayed while the restart was in progress.

Once THETIS was running, I 'clicked' on "Firewall check" and the message "Firewall is configured correctly".

The Panafall section of the THETIS display window is totally blank/dark.

I should mention this DELL laptop had suffered a hard-drive failure in the past and was rebuilt with a SS-HD by a computer-App savvy person (NOT me) . Maybe something important to my present problem was not installed during the system repair.

Dick/w7wkr
Dick

Postby Dick » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:56 pm

K1LSB wrote:Please post screenshots of the entire Thetis main console while operating in RX and TX mode in WSJT-X FT8 so we can see exactly what you're talking about.

Mark

Screen Capture-2.PNG
Screen Capture-2.PNG (124.63 KiB) Viewed 5141 times

I hope this attachment works !

Dick/w7wkr
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:55 pm

Dick wrote:Upon restarting as Administrator an intermediate message "Problem Installing DirectX" was displayed while the restart was in progress.

OK, now we almost certainly know what is wrong! Your DirectX graphics API installation appears to be either missing or corrupt. Thetis relies on DirectX to draw the spectral display, including Panafall and all other display modes.

I should mention this DELL laptop had suffered a hard-drive failure in the past and was rebuilt with a SS-HD by a computer-App savvy person (NOT me) . Maybe something important to my present problem was not installed during the system repair.

It looks like you've hit the nail right on the head there, Dick![/quote]

The first thing you want to do is make certain that your Windows 7 installation is up to date. Open the Windows Update control panel and check for updates. The PC will have to be connected to the internet, of course. Do this as many times as necessary, rebooting as necessary, until your Windows 7 installation is fully updated. I'd further suggest pushing forward onto Windows 10 if you can.

The second thing you want to do is run dxdiag. You can do this from the run or search box on the start menu, or from a command prompt. Wait for the status bar at the bottom left to complete, then step through each page with the next button. In the status window at the bottom of each page it should say "no problems found".

If you don't get "no problems found" at this point then some operating system repairs are going to be necessary.
Dick

Postby Dick » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:56 am

OK, where you instruct ===>

It looks like you've hit the nail right on the head there, Dick![/quote]

The first thing you want to do is make certain that your Windows 7 installation is up to date. Open the Windows Update control panel and check for updates. The PC will have to be connected to the internet, of course. Do this as many times as necessary, rebooting as necessary, until your Windows 7 installation is fully updated. I'd further suggest pushing forward onto Windows 10 if you can.

- The system went out looking for updates and returned a message saying "[b]Windows could not search for new updates"
and "an error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer". Error found ===>
code80244019
[/b]
- Initially, the updater went out and found three potential upgrades (300+MB of upgrades) but after trying to install them, it failed in all three cases.

The second thing you want to do is run dxdiag. You can do this from the run or search box on the start menu, or from a command prompt. Wait for the status bar at the bottom left to complete, then step through each page with the next button. In the status window at the bottom of each page it should say "no problems found".

- I ran this test and the reports were "no problems found" in all cases

If you don't get "no problems found" at this point then some operating system repairs are going to be necessary.

- I was able to locate/find the Windows License for my WIndows-7 64-bit OS but have had no luck trying to convert to a free W-10 system. Any
suggestions how this might be accomplished will be appreciated !!

Dick/w7wkr
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:06 am

You can try the suggestions at this link:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

However at this point it might be worth considering a clean install of Windows 10 on a new license.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:59 am

I was mistaken in thinking this had anything to do with FT8 or digi modes. Moving this topic back to the main Thetis forum...
Dick

Postby Dick » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:41 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:You can try the suggestions at this link:

However at this point it might be worth considering a clean install of Windows 10 on a new license.

Good morning Scott

I am exceedingly pleased to report after failures yesterday to install W-7 updates manually, I reset
the option to have the computer find and install updates automatically, last night while I slept some
magic took place.

The computer was upgraded and when I restarted the computer and brought-up THETIS, it loaded without
any problems and the Panafall display is now alive and well. This new SW is terrific!

I thank you and the group for all the assistance. Now to move the computer to the remote site and try
the external amplifier switching using the 200D "OC" pins on the DB-25 socket. Will report back with those
results.

73 to ALL

Dick/w7wkr
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:38 pm

Glad to read it sorted itself out. Windows 7 is a dead OS. No longer supported. It'll be a bit of work, but ultimately you probably want to migrate to Windows 10.
Dick

Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:02 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Glad to read it sorted itself out. Windows 7 is a dead OS. No longer supported. It'll be a bit of work, but ultimately you probably want to migrate to Windows 10.

Greetings All

After experimenting with the "OC - Pins" on the relevant THETIS screen, I was able to use whichever pin I chose to control
an external relay. That is a very desirable feature one can use for special tasks like sending "DC" out to a remote relay or power
something. I did find the schematic pin-out did not match the actual 200D's DB25 pin-out.

Another note - once all the W-7 updates were installed and THETIS was running correctly, the formerly dead RCA-connector port
used to switch an external amplifier began working again.

So now everything is working beautifully - Thank you everyone.

73 Dick/w7wkr at CN98pi
Dick

Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:20 am

Dick wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:You can try the suggestions at this link:

Good morning Scott

I am exceedingly pleased to report after failures yesterday to install W-7 updates manually, I reset
the option to have the computer find and install updates automatically, last night while I slept some
magic took place.

The computer was upgraded and when I restarted the computer and brought-up THETIS, it loaded without
any problems and the Panafall display is now alive and well. This new SW is terrific!

I thank you and the group for all the assistance. Now to move the computer to the remote site and try
the external amplifier switching using the 200D "OC" pins on the DB-25 socket. Will report back with those
results.

73 to ALL

Dick/w7wkr

Well, it appears I was too enthusiastic about how well the "new working system" was performing 8=((

After maybe ten FT8 contacts right in the middle of another FT8 contact THETIS quit working (view
the attached file to see the screen capture)

I shutdown :
- THETIS and restarted w/o any error messages
- When clicking on the THETIS "power" button a popup screen asked if the ANAN-200D was powered-up - it was
- Went out to remote site and cycled power to 200D
- Clicked again on the THETIS "Power" button and the 200D was running OK
- started WSJT-x and made sure VAC1 was active in THETIS
- FT8 signals decode fine
- Clicked on WSJT-x "Tune" button - Nutz, no output power
- Ensured VM-Banana was working correctly, checked all input/output settings in WSJT-X and THETIS
all correct.

Again, the setup here is :
- DELL E6510 Laptop with Intel I5 CORE and 64-bit OS W-7 PRO and 8GB RAM
- THETIS v2.9.0.6 x64 (4/23/22)
- WSJT-X v2.5.4
- Voicemeeter Banana

Again, I'm outta-my-comfort-zone and need assistance. At first I thought maybe running JTAlert and having PSKReporter
running in the background might be overpowering my system. So I closed everything but THETIS and WSJT-X and had the
same failure.

Dick/w7wkr at CN98pi
Attachments
THETIS stops working Capture.PNG
THETIS stops working Capture.PNG (271.06 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:30 am

I'd strongly advise moving to windows 10 as any glitches you come across would be so much easier to fix. Did the same myself years ago and never regretted doing it.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:33 pm

Dick--I've explained to you that it's one problem per topic and you are now combining at least 4 problems into one topic :?

1. Blank spectral display: fixed with Windows update.

2. OC control of amp: not tested by you yet, may not be a problem.

3. Thetis quit working unexpectedly.

4. Some sort of problem with FT8 (to be determined).

Let's concentrate on #3. Without that nothing works.

A question that needs to be answered to help fix #3:

Describe the connection between the computer running Thetis and the "remote site". Is this just a long Ethernet connection? Copper? Fiber? Are there any switches or routers involved?

Note: if you don't have remote power control of the 7000 at the remote site you are not going to be happy. Take it from me, I've run "remotely", meaning computer upstairs, ANAN in the basement, for years now.
Dick

Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:02 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Dick--I've explained to you that it's one problem per topic and you are now combining at least 4 problems into one topic :?

1. Blank spectral display: fixed with Windows update.

2. OC control of amp: not tested by you yet, may not be a problem.

3. Thetis quit working unexpectedly.

4. Some sort of problem with FT8 (to be determined).

Let's concentrate on #3. Without that nothing works.

A question that needs to be answered to help fix #3:

Describe the connection between the computer running Thetis and the "remote site". Is this just a long Ethernet connection? Copper? Fiber? Are there any switches or routers involved?

Note: if you don't have remote power control of the 7000 at the remote site you are not going to be happy. Take it from me, I've run "remotely", meaning computer upstairs, ANAN in the basement, for years now.

Good morning Scott

Previous problems #1 and #2 were fixed and appear to be non-issues today

Problem #3 is the issue at hand.

Connections between the DELL Laptop located in the house and the ANAN-200D out in a shop building is made thru a long ethernet cable of multiple twisted pairs of wires with one end plugged into the computer and the other end plugged directly into the 200D.

These connections, using the same hardware at both ends, never failed or caused problems in the past when using OpenHPSDR mRX PS or a
previous version of THETIS (even with the DirectX failure notification during every start-up of that version of THETIS ) while running WSJT-X/DXKeeper/JTAlert all together.

As an aside, I plan on trying to use the software and hardware discussed in the NodeRed-Hamradio@groups... website to implement power control and display of remote functions. That will be a big learning experience for me.

73 Dick/w7wkr at CN98pi
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:16 pm

OK, so it's just copper Ethernet wiring between the PC and the ANAN. Nice and simple. All I can offer is to continue to run and gain more experience with your current configuration and see if problems persist.

Note that is could be a bad cable. This has happened before. Move just one piece of equipment and that could be all she wrote. I even helped someone who had been using the same cable for years and when he went to Protocol 2 it stopped working. It turned out that the two pairs needed for 100BASE-T were fine but one of the other pairs was bad (you need all four pairs for Gigabit Ethernet).

I can assure you that there is nothing intrinsically wrong or different about 2.9.0.6 compared to 2.8.11 that would cause these problems. If there was the forum would be flooded with complaints.

What version of firmware are you running in the ANAN?
Dick

Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:02 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:OK, so it's just copper Ethernet wiring between the PC and the ANAN. Nice and simple. All I can offer is to continue to run and gain more experience with your current configuration and see if problems persist.

Note that is could be a bad cable. This has happened before. Move just one piece of equipment and that could be all she wrote. I even helped someone who had been using the same cable for years and when he went to Protocol 2 it stopped working. It turned out that the two pairs needed for 100BASE-T were fine but one of the other pairs was bad (you need all four pairs for Gigabit Ethernet).

I can assure you that there is nothing intrinsically wrong or different about 2.9.0.6 compared to 2.8.11 that would cause these problems. If there was the forum would be flooded with complaints.

What version of firmware are you running in the ANAN?

OK on basically no differences between the older and present version of THETIS. The ANAN-200D info displayed in Setup==>General==>H/W Select displays Firmwaree Version 0.0.0 and ID = Hermes and Protocol #2 (v0.0)

At the present time using the newest version of THETIS , when I am notified THETIS has stopped working, I have to cycle the power on the ANAN-200D otherwise THETIS keeps asking if the 200D is connected or powered up. Once the 200D is power-cycled the 200D is working and the Panafall display shows signals just fine.

When I try to activate "Tune" in the WSJT-X screen the 200D goes into TX-mode but there is no output power. NOTHING has been changed by me
in all SW-packages between when everything worked beautifully and now when THETIS announces it has stopped working.l Something has changed!!

Dick/w7wkr
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:48 pm

With that information we cannot tell what firmware is actually loaded into the ANAN-200D, but it appears to be Protocol 2 firmware.

Were you the one who loaded the firmware? Do you have the firmware file you used to load the 200D? If so, what is the name of it?

Please use this link, Method 2, to determine the connection speed to the ANAN-200D:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-check- ... windows-10

That will at least help us confirm if it is Protocol 2 firmware or not. If it shows 1Gbit/s then it's Protocol 2. If it shows 100Mbit/s then it's Protocol 1.

I am suspicious that it is an old version of firmware, therefore you may benefit from updating the firmware in your 200D in order to fix the connectivity problems.

BREAK

Please start a separate topic in the Digital Mode sub-forum about your FT8 difficulties so that we can keep the two discussions separate:

viewforum.php?f=16
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:11 pm

Dick, this sounds to me like it could be RF getting into your Ethernet cable. What happens if you set the Level control in Thetis to zero to cause zero power output and then click "tune" on WSJT? Does it still fail? If not, start advancing the level control and see if there is a point that it fails again. If so back off a little and try again.. Fail then?

Joe W4WT
Dick

Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:15 pm

Joe-W4WT wrote:Dick, this sounds to me like it could be RF getting into your Ethernet cable. What happens if you set the Level control in Thetis to zero to cause zero power output and then click "tune" on WSJT? Does it still fail? If not, start advancing the level control and see if there is a point that it fails again. If so back off a little and try again.. Fail then?

Joe W4WT

Hello Joe

I tried all of your suggestions and am pretty certain it is NOT RF getting into the Ethernet cable.

Clicking on "Tune" in the main THETIS window shows RF output power at what ever level I have the 'slider' set.

Clicking on "Tune" in the main WSJT-X window shows ZERO power as I advance the above mentioned power slider
from Zero to Max.

Prior to the message "THETIS not working" everything was working fine and I have made NO CHANGES to any
settings in any SW. Somehow something has been corrupted. I wonder if there is a reset I can execute to get
back to a clean start?

Scott wishes me to start a new topic in the Digital-Modes sub-forum about this FT8 and THETIS failure mode, so this
will probably the last linking to this forum.

73 Dick/w7wkr
Dick

Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:25 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:With that information we cannot tell what firmware is actually loaded into the ANAN-200D, but it appears to be Protocol 2 firmware.

Were you the one who loaded the firmware? Do you have the firmware file you used to load the 200D? If so, what is the name of it?

Please use this link, Method 2, to determine the connection speed to the ANAN-200D:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-check- ... windows-10

That will at least help us confirm if it is Protocol 2 firmware or not. If it shows 1Gbit/s then it's Protocol 2. If it shows 100Mbit/s then it's Protocol 1.

I am suspicious that it is an old version of firmware, therefore you may benefit from updating the firmware in your 200D in order to fix the connectivity problems.

BREAK

Please start a separate topic in the Digital Mode sub-forum about your FT8 difficulties so that we can keep the two discussions separate:

viewforum.php?f=16

Hello Scott

I accessed the link you provided and found the following information:

- 58.5Mbps on the internet connection
- 100Mbps on the LAN (Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network)

When I purchased the ANAN-200D the SW must have been loaded at the factory in India. The only thing I remember loading was the
OpenHPSDR mRX PS software into the DELL laptop.

So, loading SW into my ANAN-200D sounds scary in that I might manage to "brick" it bu doing something dumb. I've never wanted to touch
the 200D SW for that reason.

I will start a 2nd topic in the forum you have requested.

Dick/w7wkr
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:27 pm

That implies that you have Protocol 1 firmware loaded, and therefore it is very unlikely that any problems might be firmware related, as the Protocol 1 firmware is quite stable.
geireri@online.no

Postby geireri@online.no » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:09 am

Hi after upgrading to v 2.9.0.6 iit doesent show waterfall on 17m
and only on 17m rx1
any soggestions ?
br Geir
2022-06-17.png
2022-06-17.png (1016.64 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:27 am

Geir: your screen shot shows "panadapter" display mode selected for both RX1 and RX2. Switch your display modes to panafall or waterfall.
geireri@online.no

Postby geireri@online.no » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:45 pm

its no difference whatever i chose 18Mhz is not showing it works can send and receive but no display
it works in every other freq but not 18 mhz, it works fine in RX2
Attachments
2022-06-17.png
2022-06-17.png (1016.64 KiB) Viewed 4729 times
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:17 pm

Please compare your Setup>Display>RX1 settings while on 17m vs. RX2 settings on another band. I have a suspicion and I'm pretty sure you'll notice big differences in the settings.
What is striking at first glance is that the "Spectrum Grid" display is not visible. I assume this is turned off. It is usually left-aligned, as is the case with your RX2.
If RX2 is working on 17m, duplicate the settings to RX1 one by one. I assume then RX1 would work.

Or post a screenshot from your RX1/RX2 settings.

What happens if you enable AutoAGC?
Last edited by DH1KLM on Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
geireri@online.no

Postby geireri@online.no » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:31 pm

yes you where correct was -155 in spectrum gain settings set them the same both and it works. Thanks :D :D

Return to “Thetis”