Strange interference at VFO freq. solved with database reset

rbduck

Strange interference at VFO freq. solved with database reset

Postby rbduck » Sat May 28, 2022 4:09 pm

I am having an issue in Thetis 2.9.0.6. I'm running a 7000DLE mk2. The issue is a noise that seems to be centered in the panafall. The intensity is not always the same. It does get so bad that wipes out the entire band on the screen. At first I thought it may be something in our house. I have not tried disconnecting the power to the house and running the radio on a battery yet. I have disconnecting anything plugged onto an outlet. The noise can gradually fade up or down our sometimes goes on and off like being switched. I thought it may be something on a utility pole. One thing I can get past is the place it takes on the screen. It sits at center frequency on the screen even if I drag the panafall up and down the band. I have went from 80 meters all the way to 10 meters. The noise is not near as prevalent on 10 meters as 80, but it's still there. If I switch the 7000 to an empty terminal on my antenna switch the noise is still there, but barely detectable. I do have another SDR receiver. The noise is there, but not in any one location that I can find on the waterfall as I do in Thetis.

I have seen a lot of different types of noises since I've had an SDR. I've figured all of them out. This one is confusing. Has anyone ever seen a noise like this that behaves like this? Here is a video I have made of it. Here, the intensity is not as great as it was earlier, but still enough to affect everything on the band. It gets a little worse about 40 seconds onto the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2z3SqABxfQ

Here is another short clip. Noise is more intense.

https://youtu.be/xq67B2nktXg
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
rbduck

Re: Bad noise I can't identify

Postby rbduck » Sat May 28, 2022 4:38 pm

This is another situation where I should have waited before I reported a problem. I solved the problem by exporting and then resetting my database. I then imported the database I had just saved. The issue is completely gone.

Bottom line. If you ever see this sort of issue. Try resetting the database. :mrgreen:
Last edited by rbduck on Sun May 29, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben
NB4R
JJ4SDR

Strange interference with no antenna connected

Postby JJ4SDR » Sat May 28, 2022 5:54 pm

When disconnecting antennas today I note a strange wide-band interference (images at the top for the 2 bands) when I have no antenna connected to the ANAN 7000 DLEMKII. Also, I can hear and see the same interference when I bypass the manual antenna tuner (Palstar) and I put the dummy load in the circuit instead of an antenna.

When I change frequency the same exact interference pattern follows the VFO and this same sort of "signature" can be observed on several bands (I have attached images for the 17/20 m bands immediately below.

Strange interference wo antenna connected.jpg
Strange interference wo antenna connected.jpg (381.54 KiB) Viewed 2404 times

Why would this interference tag me no matter where my VFO is on these bands (and others)? I guess I am not providing enough data in this post in which case I would welcome suggestions. Also, I haven't yet gone to the lengths of taking different house circuits out of the equation.

NOTE: the interference in the low end of the 17 meter band with antenna connected is generated by the inverter of a mini UPS power source that sits on the floor, about 8 feet way from the ANAN.

73 de Juha
NI2M
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Re: Strange interference with no antenna connected

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 28, 2022 6:02 pm

There was an identical sounding topic to yours just posted: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4215

His solution was to reset the database.

If this works for you I'm going to combine the two topics.

Normally I'd put this into the "Everything else" sub-forum because it is noise related. But because the solution seems like it involves resetting the database then it certainly sounds Thetis related! :shock:
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sat May 28, 2022 6:59 pm

JJ4SDR wrote:When disconnecting antennas today I note a strange wide-band interference (images at the top for the 2 bands) when I have no antenna connected to the ANAN 7000 DLEMKII. Also, I can hear and see the same interference when I bypass the manual antenna tuner (Palstar) and I put the dummy load in the circuit instead of an antenna.

When I change frequency the same exact interference pattern follows the VFO and this same sort of "signature" can be observed on several bands (I have attached images for the 17/20 m bands immediately below.

Strange interference wo antenna connected.jpg

Why would this interference tag me no matter where my VFO is on these bands (and others)? I guess I am not providing enough data in this post in which case I would welcome suggestions. Also, I haven't yet gone to the lengths of taking different house circuits out of the equation.

NOTE: the interference in the low end of the 17 meter band with antenna connected is generated by the inverter of a mini UPS power source that sits on the floor, about 8 feet way from the ANAN.

73 de Juha
NI2M

Is this something that you are just seeing today? If not, how long has it been happening? Since I reset the database I have not seen the issue I was having, but as a lot happens do, I'm now hyper-sensitive to any noise I hear. I thought my issue was returning, but have since decided it's noise from lightening that is up and down the eastern cost of the US.
Ruben
NB4R
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Sat May 28, 2022 8:20 pm

Ruben, Scott,

I am only seeing it today but I did what you did Ruben and I no longer see the interference :) ! Thanks for the suggestions. Still, I am puzzled as to why that interference cropped in the first place?

73 de Juha
NI2M
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
K1LSB

Re: Bad noise I can't identify

Postby K1LSB » Sat May 28, 2022 8:24 pm

Ruben,

PM sent.

Mark
w-u-2-o

Re: Strange interference at VFO freq. solved with database reset

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 28, 2022 8:41 pm

I've merged these two topics and made the title a bit more descriptive.

This is some very strange behavior. I wonder if anyone else is seeing this? I looked for it myself and I don't see that behavior here (ANAN-8000 into dummy load).
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun May 29, 2022 12:30 pm

Thanks Scott

For clarification purposes I want to adjust my description of what I was seeing. I stated I was seeing the issue on a second SDR receiver I
have. The was an incorrect statement. I was NOT seeing this on a second receiver. This issue plus all the lightning noise on the band blended together. I was seeing the lightning noise on the second SDR receiver, but not the problem I was seeing on the 7000. It was difficult to separate the two events.
Ruben
NB4R
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Sun May 29, 2022 3:25 pm

Living in a noisy environment I know that NB2 depending on the surrounding signals can also show the same or similar behavior. And from what I see in your video you had NB2 on.

Regards
Mike SV1JSO
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun May 29, 2022 4:06 pm

sv1jso wrote:Living in a noisy environment I know that NB2 depending on the surrounding signals can also show the same or similar behavior. And from what I see in your video you had NB2 on.

Regards
Mike SV1JSO

This doesn't appear to be the case here. I'm not sure what Ruben was seeing, but I cannot duplicate any sort of noise artifacts here using any combination of NB, NR, SNB or ANF. More importantly, Juha had no processing engaged and was operating into a dummy load.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun May 29, 2022 4:32 pm

sv1jso wrote:Living in a noisy environment I know that NB2 depending on the surrounding signals can also show the same or similar behavior. And from what I see in your video you had NB2 on.

Regards
Mike SV1JSO

Hi Mke,

I tried it with NB, NB2 on and off. I tried many other filters on or off including other things I didn't think would be causing this type behavior. Finally after several days I thought I would try resetting the database. What 3 minutes tops to try?
First I reset the database. Then imported a database from one month ago. Wow the problem disappeared.You couldn't have talked me into believing a database reset would cure what looked to me like a noise issue.

I later imported the database I had saved just prior to the initial reset. Everything is still working well. I usually run the NB because of a popping electric fence somewhere close. NB2 was on in the video because it just happed to be on at the time.
Ruben
NB4R

Return to “Thetis”