Display Glitch

Mike_N1JEZ

Display Glitch

Postby Mike_N1JEZ » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:37 pm

I'm seeing a rather large spike in my display when I transition from transmit to receive. Video here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sk8jiu ... sp=sharing

Using the latest Thetis with protocol 1 on a bare Hermes card and also an ANAN-100. I see the same on both systems.

Win 10 Pro. No VAC - audio direct via the front panel.

Any thoughts??

Mike
Mike, N1JEZ
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
ramdor

Re: Display Glitch

Postby ramdor » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:22 pm

yeah, same here on 7000, has always happened afaik. I have talked with Warren about it, resetting the data on a tx/rx switch but it is not easily solvable. One of those things you have to live with. Long averaging will exaggerate it.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:27 pm

same results here : https://youtu.be/ujB7vVyVEE0
Mike_N1JEZ

Postby Mike_N1JEZ » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:30 pm

Tnx Richie. I can live with it.

Mike
Mike, N1JEZ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:31 pm

This has always disturbed me as well. I'd really like to know if that is truly an indication of hot switching, or if it is just leftover/garbage data in the RX pipeline that needs to be emptied/zeroed before starting the RX panadapter again.

I've not been able to wholly eradicated it even if I set Setup > General > Options > Options-1 > RX Delay to a ridiculous number like 500ms.
Mike_N1JEZ

Postby Mike_N1JEZ » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi Scott,

I tried the same thing increasing the RX Delay and can minimize it but it is still there. Richie can correct me, but this appears to be a display issue only?

Mike
Mike, N1JEZ
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:18 pm

my video reply

vid: https://youtu.be/i8EIAIxsVL8

It is consequently somewhat impossible to use the display as any method to detect a hot switch issue.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:04 pm

Great video, Richie. So, as already suspected, it is just leftover data in the RX pipeline that needs to be emptied/zeroed at the proper time to make a clean transition to RX mode.

Just to be clear, of course in DUP mode it's all "RX data", but we must make a distinction between RX data received during TX, and RX data received during RX.

Certainly we don't want to do anything that would mess with latency. We want very fast RX-to-TX and TX-to-RX transitions. But the same need not be said for the presentation of panadapter/waterfall data. If the display data was zeroed at the precise moment that TX-to-RX starts plus any delay from RX1 input to display, and the RX averaging and data allowed to build back up again from that point, then it should eliminate the issue.

Also, I was surprised by the revelation that the TX display tab was mostly useless if DUP was on. I've been fooled by this for years :D because I always made the RX and TX settings identical except for the position of the vertical scale. And, since the vertical scale does move on TX, it was easy to assume that all of the TX display tab settings had meaning!

Thanks!

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:36 pm

yeah, the rx1 in use when dup is on is obvious to us lot, but personally I feel it should switch to use the TX settings when in use (need to look at the latency implications with that), or modify the RX1 tab to RX1/TXdup text, or add as minimum add a label Note: also used for TX when DUP is on. However, some of the stuff in the TX tab is used, like the waterfall/grid scale, etc. So a bit of a mess.
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:29 am

FWIW, I don't get the "display glitch" here.
How does one produce it?
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:12 pm

W4WMT wrote:FWIW, I don't get the "display glitch" here.
How does one produce it?

this video talks about it : https://youtu.be/i8EIAIxsVL8

Return to “Thetis”