Recording myself on CW not working

JJ4SDR

Recording myself on CW not working

Postby JJ4SDR » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:00 pm

Hi,

I tried recording myself on CW just now using WAVE. Done that many times when I am on SSB. Did not work.

On SSB, I use VAC and to hear the side-tone on CW I need to plug headphones into the from port on my 7000 DLE MKII which is an "extra" step.

Is there a work-around for this? I am a little disappointed at learning that many of the things I like doing like CW isn't as straightforward on this radio as it is on traditional rigs. That doesn't mean that I am not glad I got this ANAN as it really shines on SSB and packs many features that I didn't have before :) .

73 de JJ
NI2M
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w9ac

Re: Recording myself on CW not working

Postby w9ac » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:27 am

JJ4SDR wrote:Hi,

I tried recording myself on CW just now using WAVE. Done that many times when I am on SSB. Did not work.

73 de JJ
NI2M

Working fine here with or without VAC enabled. I did nothing except press the record button, then played it back with Thetis' WAVE utility. However, unless you're using the experimental ChannelMaster.dll file, then you'll likely need to ensure that VAC is engaged to record the CW sidetone.

Sample .WAV file attached.

JJ4SDR wrote:I am a little disappointed at learning that many of the things I like doing like CW isn't as straightforward on this radio as it is on traditional rigs.

Like what?

Paul, W9AC
Attachments

CWL 3.550800MHz [32bit 48k] 4-27-2022 9 20 11 PM.wav [ 3.23 MiB | Viewed 2107 times ]

JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Sun May 01, 2022 8:27 pm

Paul,

I have no idea what that "Master....." dll file is all about. Never heard of it.

On which form do you enable the CW side-tone to be recorded?

I am all VAC here and it bugs me to have to don another pair of "cans" just to hear the side-tone (that pair is plugged into the front "Headphones" port on my ANAN 7000 DLE MKII.

JJ
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun May 01, 2022 10:03 pm

JJ4SDR wrote:Paul,

I have no idea what that "Master....." dll file is all about. Never heard of it.

On which form do you enable the CW side-tone to be recorded?

I am all VAC here and it bugs me to have to don another pair of "cans" just to hear the side-tone (that pair is plugged into the front "Headphones" port on my ANAN 7000 DLE MKII.

JJ

First, ignore my reference to the experimental ChannelMaster.dll file. It's not required to record a QSO with your CW sidetone.

Are you attempting to record your QSO with CW sidetone in QSK or Semi-Break-In mode?

To test with a clean slate, I just re-installed Thetis 2.9.0.6. While in CW QSK mode, I pressed the REC button, sent out a test message over the air and stopped REC. I then pressed PLAY and the receiver together with the CW sidetone played back fine.

Semi-Break-In CW was tried next. After setting a reasonable CW delay time, I tried recording the receiver and the CW sidetone. No go. The receiver records fine but not the CW sidetone.

So, try it in full QSK mode. If you don't like to hear the receiver between each keyed element, then delay the receiver recovery time in <Setup><DSP><CW>. Ensure that the QSK box is selected, then increase the Delay setting to a value that works for you.

Paul, W9AC
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Thu May 05, 2022 2:16 am

Hi Paul,

When I am on CW I use semi-break most of the time and from what you are writing recording won't work. I wanted to record myself in a QSO some time ago hoping to be able to email the audio file, but it didn't pan out.

Curious about QSK: why would would the record feature work but not when I am in semi-break mode? Will give QSK a whirl and report back a bit later in the week!

Thanks Paul!
JJ
NI2M
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Thu May 05, 2022 11:58 am

JJ4SDR wrote:Hi Paul,

Curious about QSK: why would the record feature work but not when I am in semi-break mode? Will give QSK a whirl and report back a bit later in the week!

Thanks Paul!
JJ
NI2M

It's a function of how sidetone audio is digitally routed in Thetis. In QSK mode, the sidetone comes from the receiver, not the internally-generated sidetone oscillator.

So, when using QSK mode, you'll be able to record both the other station, and your own CW on the air. The effect will be the same is if someone else is recording your CW transmission and that of the other station. Of course, if you dial in recovery delay to make QSK more like semi-break-in, the receiver recovery delay will also occur in the recording.

Anyway, try experimenting with recordings in the QSK mode, then dial in the amount of receiver delay you like to replicate semi-break-in.

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu May 05, 2022 12:05 pm

JJ4SDR wrote:Curious about QSK: why would would the record feature work but not when I am in semi-break mode?

Because the audio stream that goes to the recording function only contains the output of the receivers, not the sidetone.

Paul beat me to the post :D but here's some additional information:

The sidetone is generated in the FPGA and is not sent back to the PC over Ethernet to Thetis, and Thetis is where the audio recording is done. Thus only RX audio is recorded.

IMHO this is something that needs to be fixed. It is as simple as encoding a single bit into the UDP data stream that brings the IF data from the FPGA to the PC. Or even just stand up a separate UDP data stream for sidetone.

Or, better yet, do away with the key input on the ANAN hardware and make the key/paddle/keyer plug into the PC and generate the sidetone in Thetis.

The reason this all works for full-break-in QSK is because you are not actually hearing sidetone, you are hearing your own actual transmissions with RX1 remaining activated 100% of the time, i.e. not turned off during TX periods.
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Fri May 06, 2022 3:39 am

Thanks very much for the responses!

Best!
Juha, NI2M
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
JJ4SDR