Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

Tony EI7BMB

Re: Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Sat May 07, 2022 7:25 pm

Some really nice meters being suggested here. I always liked the cusdr style s meter

DL1KD

Postby DL1KD » Sun May 08, 2022 10:01 am

Tony EI7BMB wrote:Some really nice meters being suggested here. I always liked the cusdr style s meter

Yes exactly, this is a great s-meter. Basically, the CUSDR approach was a great idea....

73 Alex
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 14, 2022 2:03 pm

Bug report...

Erroneous behavior: S-ATT set to 31dB after each TX during split mode operations when receive frequency on VFO-A (RX) is outside of an amateur band and VFO-B (TX) is inside of an amateur radio band. Method of TX does not matter: PTT, MOX, VOX all produce the same results.

Conditions tested: Thetis 2.9.0.6 Protocol 2 ANAN-8000. USB and LSB only.

How to duplicate: activate split. Set VFO-A to RX and place the frequency outside of an amateur band (US limit example 7457KHz). Set VFO-B to TX and place frequency inside of an amateur band (US limit example 7220KHz). Make a transmission. Observe S-ATT change to 31dB from its previous setting. Reset S-ATT to desired level. Transmit again and watch it change again.

Workaround: set TX mode and frequency on VFO-A, RX on VFO-B, enable MultiRX.

Companion feature request: during split mode, when TX is set to VFO-A and RX is set to VFO-B (the reverse of the "normal" split configuration) generate RX audio from VFO-B only without requiring MultiRX to be enabled.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Sun May 15, 2022 11:40 am

Scott,

Similar to what I still see occasionally when operating split, albeit in-band.

I would be a bit concerned about your request though. When operating split and the TX station is listening over a range of frequencies (just as common as them listening on a single frequency, maybe more common) it becomes necessary to hear either VFO. What you are asking for is a highly unusual configuration ... as you would say to others on suggestions: just use the volume control for VFO A vs. VFO B. I say this because I'd be concerned about the possible creep from that to implementing it in the normal manner where split is a daily thing for DX operators - i.e. in band, not just for occasional, even rare occasions when working military stations out of band.

A 'twist' to your suggestion if it is about having to turn on MULTIRX, how about just make SPLIT ALSO turn on MULTIRX. Or an option to do so. Now, if selected as such, MULTIRX automatically comes on when SPLIT is hit?

Gary
K9RX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun May 15, 2022 11:57 am

K9RX wrote:Similar to what I still see occasionally when operating split, albeit in-band.
There's nothing "occasional" about this behavior. It is wholly and reliably 100% repeatable. It really made it a PITA to operate during the Armed Forces Day Crossband Test event yesterday. If fixing this fixes the "occasional" in-band problem that would be great, too.
I would be a bit concerned about your request though. When operating split and the TX station is listening over a range of frequencies (just as common as them listening on a single frequency, maybe more common) it becomes necessary to hear either VFO.
Of course that's often true, but that's not the issue here.
What you are asking for is a highly unusual configuration ... as you would say to others on suggestions: just use the volume control for VFO A vs. VFO B. I say this because I'd be concerned about the possible creep from that to implementing it in the normal manner where split is a daily thing for DX operators - i.e. in band, not just for occasional, even rare occasions when working military stations out of band.
I agree that this situation is unusual.
A 'twist' to your suggestion if it is about having to turn on MULTIRX, how about just make SPLIT ALSO turn on MULTIRX. Or an option to do so. Now, if selected as such, MULTIRX automatically comes on when SPLIT is hit?
I'd rather see no changes than this level of extra complexity.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Mon May 16, 2022 12:28 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
K9RX wrote:
I'd rather see no changes than this level of extra complexity.

Seriously? How is making it easier to do SPLIT by automatically turning on MULTIRX (something that is essentially always needed, even in your case of out of band - just use the volume controls as intended!) - make it more complex? One button for split - vs. having to recall (if a user seldom uses it) to turn on MULTIRX also - that is more complex?? It is benign - if someone had VFO B's volume set to zero then there's no impact - if they WANT to hear from VFO B its automatically done ready to go.

g.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon May 16, 2022 12:36 pm

I'm not sure I'm seeing an issue or not. Let me expand. When I first installed 2.9.0.6 I set the spectrum bandwidth
and right clicked the ZTB button for each band. Subsequently, when moving from one band to the next the spectrum bandwidth set earlier was retained when moving from one band to the next without clicking the ZTB button. Lately. this has not been the behavior. When moving to another band now I have to click ZTB for the bandwidth to be retained. The spectrum bandwidth is not even close to what it was on a previous visit to a said band. Is this normal? Was this the reason for the ZTB button to begin with? :mrgreen: I should not be complaining. The ZTB button was a brilliant idea.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Mon May 16, 2022 2:23 pm

K9RX wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:
K9RX wrote:I'd rather see no changes than this level of extra complexity.

Seriously? How is making it easier to do SPLIT by automatically turning on MULTIRX (something that is essentially always needed, even in your case of out of band - just use the volume controls as intended!) - make it more complex? One button for split - vs. having to recall (if a user seldom uses it) to turn on MULTIRX also - that is more complex?? It is benign - if someone had VFO B's volume set to zero then there's no impact - if they WANT to hear from VFO B its automatically done ready to go.

g.

In my not-so-humble opinion, complex split arrangements should be assigned to macro CAT commands so that operation can be as simple or complex as desired. I wouldn't be happy with a "one size fits all" split operation. That's a limitation with other transceivers.

Here's a script I use to activate split for "Up 1" Dx contacts:

echo ZZLB000;ZZLD100;ZZFI02;ZZRS0;ZZSY1;ZZSY0;ZZBP07;ZZSW1;ZZMU1; | ncat 127.0.0.1 13013

What this does:

1) Turn off Rx2 if On;
2) Activate MultiRx;
3) VFO A in left ear;
4) MultiRx in right ear;
5) Set filter bandwidth;
6) Set VFO A>B
7) Set VFO B up +1kHz from VFO A;
8) Set Split for VFO B TX.

If using a Stream Deck, one button can be used to invoke the above commands. Then, a press of the same button resets the "Up +1 kHz" function and restores the receive bandwidth. Restoration of bandwidth is just my preference. When the above macro is invoked on my Stream Deck, the button background color changes from white letters over black to a green background that changes to read "Split +1 On." A second up-split macro is set to +5 kHz which is common for SSB splits.

It doesn't have to be Stream Deck either. Other hardware and software options are available to invoke macro commands.

See images below of the Split button changes.

Paul, W9AC
Attachments
IMG_3117.jpg
IMG_3117.jpg (143.12 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
IMG_3116.jpg
IMG_3116.jpg (131.09 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon May 16, 2022 3:42 pm

I agree with Paul. The CAT command language provided with Thetis is extraordinarily rich compared to other radios. Macro buttons are the way to make the software all things to all people. Then folks only need to complain about missing CAT commands (or how to write macros ;) ). A macro button facility takes a lot of the load off of anyone developing for Thetis.

There are a lot of great macro type solutions out there right now. But it is easy to see how something like that can be a bridge too far for folks who have trouble just making what they have work. A built-in, common macro facility would ease, but not eliminate, that challenge. Nevertheless, in a radio of this level of complexity, people have to expect.

I'm going to change the title of the MIDI Controllers sub-forum to be more inclusive, something like "Macro & MIDI Controller Software & Hardware" so as to encourage further discussion and exchange of ideas where all control surfaces are concerned, be they external hardware, touchpads, software, MIDI, etc.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Tue May 17, 2022 12:05 pm

Ok... it CAN be done using a MACRO. But you are missing the point. I had asked for, years ago, to turn off NB/MB2 when transmitting. Why? Because it caused the display to react to a strong signal - albeit MY signal. Alternatively I could have turned off NB each time I went to transmit - or based on your method of resolving this - create a macro to do so - which is just silly. The RIGHT thing to do is to have the software do this automatically.

When one operates split it is not only by the necessity to be able to listen to VFO B it is in actuality a legal requirement of your FCC license: you are not supposed to intentionally interfere with another station. Is that adhered to by most? Rarely - although I have at times when the split is 'new' and puts me on top of a loud ongoing QSO - NOT transmitted for that very reason. Besides just being rude in that case.

Just because macros are powerful doesn't mean things that are done essentially by necessity should be implemented as such. Other than NIH syndrome I don't see why there would be any question here: if you hit SPLIT you automatically can hear the 2nd VFO (and can adjust its own volume separately - if you don't WANT to hear it - turn down the volume).

Gary
tok2010

ATT on TX synchronized to PS attenuation

Postby tok2010 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:24 pm

Hello All,

Several weeks passed after I changed Thetis from v2.8.11 to v2..9.0.6.
I report about "ATT on TX" function I didn't expect. Once I set it to 31dB, it becomes e.g., 10dB just after I executed Pure Signal. This 10dB is equivalent of PS attenuation. In v2.8.11 I remember this ATT figure doesn't change regardless of PS execution. Is there any another set-up item to keep this attenuation?

Tokio
JA1CCA
Attachments
ATT after PS worked.PNG
ATT after PS
ATT after PS worked.PNG (29.67 KiB) Viewed 3608 times
ATT set to 31.PNG
ATT set to 31 before PS execution
ATT set to 31.PNG (29.67 KiB) Viewed 3608 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri May 20, 2022 11:37 am

Although I cautioned folks about this in my post on 5 May (see above), people have continued to use this particular topic as a one would a mail reflector. Therefore, until Richie returns to active development, I am temporarily locking this topic.

Use the forum as it is intended, please. This is to the benefit of all as it creates an organized, searchable platform for information and solutions. It is also of substantial benefit to the Original Poster of any given topic, as that topic is not lost in a sea of other posts and is therefore likely to garner more attention.

Scott

Return to “Thetis”