Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

VK4BXI

Re: Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues amp selecton issue

Postby VK4BXI » Thu May 05, 2022 1:53 am

Hi all,
first Homage to Ritchie and co, wow you guys blow me away.

I run mixed barefoot and amp and have my external feedback organised nicely etc. Problem is when I run my amp the rig output is scaled down to 25 watts max. so I really need twosets of PA scaling options. (I really don't want to blow my amp). The other one is having to go into setup and change from external to internal pure signal feedback each time I change from the amp on one rig aerial connector to barefoot on the other ! I works but sometimes I get confused !

Regards Bob VK4BXI
ramdor

Re: Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues amp selecton issue

Postby ramdor » Thu May 05, 2022 2:04 am

VK4BXI wrote:Hi all,
first Homage to Ritchie and co, wow you guys blow me away.

I run mixed barefoot and amp and have my external feedback organised nicely etc. Problem is when I run my amp the rig output is scaled down to 25 watts max. so I really need twosets of PA scaling options. (I really don't want to blow my amp). The other one is having to go into setup and change from external to internal pure signal feedback each time I change from the amp on one rig aerial connector to barefoot on the other ! I works but sometimes I get confused !

Regards Bob VK4BXI

use the new PA profile system. There have been many videos on it. You can setup anything, and even linearise the drive slider.
VK4BXI

Re: Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

Postby VK4BXI » Thu May 05, 2022 5:49 am

Ok will give it a go. question does Thetis use the two digital inputs to the 7000 ?

Regards Bob VK4BXI
DG9FDA

Postby DG9FDA » Thu May 05, 2022 9:02 am

Starting Thetis 2.9.06 this morning coming up with the following fatal error:

Screenshot 2022-05-05 105018.png
Screenshot 2022-05-05 105018.png (122.18 KiB) Viewed 7292 times

What can I do? What is the problem?
Thanks a lot!
73 Georg, DG9FDA
Last edited by DG9FDA on Thu May 05, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anan 100D first edition, Thetis v2.10.3.6 x64, Protocol 2 Version 12.1.8
DG9FDA

Postby DG9FDA » Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am

Problem solved, corrupted database!

Thanks, Georg DG9FDA
Last edited by DG9FDA on Thu May 05, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anan 100D first edition, Thetis v2.10.3.6 x64, Protocol 2 Version 12.1.8
Ernie

Postby Ernie » Thu May 05, 2022 11:13 am

2TON issue. The 2TON button looks good when I start Thetis, but when I click it, it changes to white on gray and stays that way, almost invisible. I am using the W1AEX skin. I looked in the skin directories and cannot find this graphic, it must be imbedded in the code.

W2FMU
2ton.PNG
2ton.PNG (7.75 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Thu May 05, 2022 11:56 am

Ernie wrote:2TON issue. The 2TON button looks good when I start Thetis, but when I click it, it changes to white on gray and stays that way, almost invisible. I am using the W1AEX skin. I looked in the skin directories and cannot find this graphic, it must be imbedded in the code.

W2FMU2ton.PNG

Hi Ernie.

The simplest way to solve this problem is to download the nifty app that will load most all the different skins that are in existence, including all the needed buttons.
Download it from here https://github.com/DH1KLM/Thetis-2.9.0-Red-Pitaya-DH1KLM/releases/download/v2.9.0.6-RED-PITAYA-Edition/OpenHPSDR_Skins_big.exe

It really does make it all simple.
Be sure to close Thetis before you run the app.
Maybe this will solve your problem.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu May 05, 2022 12:16 pm

VK4BXI wrote:Ok will give it a go. question does Thetis use the two digital inputs to the 7000 ?

Regards Bob VK4BXI
Bob and everyone else: this topic is for discussion of Richie's improvements, any bugs associated with them, and wish list items ONLY.

This topic is NOT to serve as a single stream of consciousness thread on every little problem, challenge or misunderstanding.

The intent of a forum is to post separate topics about separate problems. Indeed, if you search the forum you'll probably find somebody else has already had your problem and received a solution.

@VK4BXI -- post a new, separate topic with your question about digital inputs, please.

Further off-topic posts in here are subject to deletion. Use the forum as it is intended, please. This is to the benefit of all as it creates an organized, searchable platform for information and solutions.

Thank you for kind consideration in this matter.

Scott
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Thu May 05, 2022 1:28 pm

The new meters looking terrific. Thank you guys.
Can we expect other scales and a swr-meter in its own window?

meters.jpg
meters.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 7230 times

and on my 7" monitor as well.

mimo.jpg
mimo.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 7230 times
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu May 05, 2022 1:53 pm

With great and profound respect to the author, Richie, and maybe just a tiny, little bit of respect ;) to those who find them beautiful, these meters have little utility, and are not anywhere near an optimal method of displaying information.

With the invention of digital displays, multiple scales on meters have gone the way of the Dodo bird. They are a liability, easily subject to misreading, and difficult to read accurately and with precision. They take up an inordinate amount of screen real estate, and can show at most two parameters at once.

Also, given the extreme precision inherent in all aspects of our radios, all meters ought to be combined with a numeric readout, as they are right now, in order to continue to allow precise, single dB adjustments to be made.

Our radios are as far from "boat anchor" as you can possibly get. IMHO, simulations of old fashioned moving coil meters ought to be optional frills, not primary sources of operational information.

Scott
K9CDR

Postby K9CDR » Thu May 05, 2022 2:29 pm

---WANT/WISH---

With respect to the current "original" style meter and possibly any additional bar graph type ones that might be coming in the near future, maybe add a checkbox in the setup to use the panadapter gradient coloring for the meter bargraph(s) as well kind of like I've emulated in the screenshot or add another gradient to customize it further than 'left color' and 'right color'.

Thank you again for ALL the hard work and amazing software we have!!!

Cheers!
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-05-05 092432.png
Panadapter gradient with similar 'original' meter coloring
Screenshot 2022-05-05 092432.png (1.97 MiB) Viewed 7207 times
Cory K9CDR
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu May 05, 2022 2:54 pm

DG9FDA wrote:Starting Thetis 2.9.06 this morning coming up with the following fatal error:

Screenshot 2022-05-05 105018.png

What can I do? What is the problem?
Thanks a lot!
73 Georg, DG9FDA

please send me the database that is causing this
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu May 05, 2022 3:06 pm

DH1KLM wrote:The new meters looking terrific. Thank you guys.
Can we expect other scales and a swr-meter in its own window?

meters.jpg

and on my 7" monitor as well.

mimo.jpg

on the kenwood look-a-like, when tx'ing click the meter area to cycle the data in use. btw, in RX they are only displaying SIG_AVG atm.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Thu May 05, 2022 4:52 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:With great and profound respect to the author, Richie, and maybe just a tiny, little bit of respect ;) to those who find them beautiful, these meters have little utility, and are not anywhere near an optimal method of displaying information.

With the invention of digital displays, multiple scales on meters have gone the way of the Dodo bird. They are a liability, easily subject to misreading, and difficult to read accurately and with precision. They take up an inordinate amount of screen real estate, and can show at most two parameters at once.

Also, given the extreme precision inherent in all aspects of our radios, all meters ought to be combined with a numeric readout, as they are right now, in order to continue to allow precise, single dB adjustments to be made.

Our radios are as far from "boat anchor" as you can possibly get. IMHO, simulations of old fashioned moving coil meters ought to be optional frills, not primary sources of operational information.

Scott

I robustly disagree. As just one example, the new history feature in Richie's RX and TX Power analog meters conveys a large amount of easy-to-digest at-a-glance information in a single presentation that isn't available in any other format.

In fact, easy-to-digest at-a-glance information is the reason that several critical gauges in aircraft are still analog.

Personally, I hope that good ol' analog gauges never depart the ham scene. Richie's meters are resizeable and moveable so real estate shouldn't be a problem for any of us. In fact, for those of us who have poor or failing eyesight a large front-and-center "Richie gauge" may well be their most valued feature in Thetis.

Mark
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Thu May 05, 2022 5:32 pm

K1LSB wrote:In fact, easy-to-digest at-a-glance information is the reason that several critical gauges in aircraft are still analog.

I have trouble interpreting quickly moving numbers like those found on digital wattmeters. That's one reason why I sold a Telepost LC-100A wattmeter and went back to peak-reading Bird Thruline meters with LED lighting. As Mark points out, there's something to be said for "quick glance" reporting.

Richie's new meters look great and have super-high fluidity as they move. His virtual meter needles have just enough of shadowing effect to make them look like real moving-coil meters. Very impressive.

Paul, W9AC
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Thu May 05, 2022 5:58 pm

-WANT/WISH-

w9ac wrote:WANTWISH

Add spectrum peak-find "Goto" function. VFO A or B switches frequency to the strongest peak signal when: (1) the command is engaged; and (2) at least one peak blob is set within <Setup><Display>. Place function button on the GUI or at a minimum, establish a ZZxx CAT command.

The peak-find function exists with all lab-grade spectrum analyzers. Peak blob values are already computed in Thetis. This feature is similar to request item #1 on the Want/Wish "ToDo" list but adds VFO control.

Paul, W9AC

As an addition to this WANT/WISH I would like to have an "alarm" if a signal exceeds a set level eg. -95 dBm on VHF, and the rx should go to this signal :-)
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu May 05, 2022 6:10 pm

K1LSB wrote:I robustly disagree. As just one example, the new history feature in Richie's RX and TX Power analog meters conveys a large amount of easy-to-digest at-a-glance information in a single presentation that isn't available in any other format.
They display no more than two pieces of information at once, with a confusing and bewildering background of multiple scales, and in the RX case all but one or two of which are irrelevant to the current metering mode. How is that a "large amount"?
In fact, easy-to-digest at-a-glance information is the reason that several critical gauges in aircraft are still analog.
As a commercial helicopter pilot I can assure you that statement is substantially irrelevant to both my points and concerns.

You are confusing "analog" as equating to a dial type indicator. Anything with a pointer on top of a scale is "analog", so that includes bar type meters as well. I'm not against analog presentations of data, in fact they are very important. But old style moving coil meters represent a huge design compromise associated with inflexible hardware, limited panel space, and cost considerations. None of these factors are associated with modern software-driven, information displays.

When you look at any modern EIS (engine indication system) in an aircraft, and I stress modern because you can find some really dumb stuff in older instrumentation designs, you find:

1. A single value per meter, be they dial or bar type.
2. Rarely two values per meter, and only on dial types.
3. If there are two values those values are closely related somehow.
4. If there are two values they either share the same scale or the scales are physically part of different meter areas. Under no exception is more than one scale shown in an overlapping manner, they are always on different parts of the dial. There is one special exception to this that I can think of (see below).
5. In most cases the actual value is also indicated numerically.

Both analog and numeric presentations are important. This way you can obtain both a quick, general idea of the state of the value from the analog presentation, as well as a very precise measurement from the numeric presentation.

These are all excellent UI and ergonomic guidelines, and that's how modern cockpits are designed. Old-style, moving coil simulations meet almost none of the guidelines. Metering in Thetis or any other modern SDR software should meet these same guidelines.

Here's an example of a relatively low cost display that is currently available. It displays no less than 24 parameters

3 numeric only parameters
9 combined analog and numeric parameters
12 analog parameters summarized by two numeric parameters

gi-275-eis.jpg
gi-275-eis.jpg (77.19 KiB) Viewed 7110 times

The one special exception I alluded to is the engine/rotor RPM display in a helicopter. Many of these (not all, not the one in my helicopter) display both rotor and engine RPM over two disparate scales. However the pointers and scales are arranged so that under nominal operating conditions both pointers are aligned right on top of each other, or nearly so. This is one of the rare exceptions, and there are unique ergonomic requirements associated with the maintenance of rotor and engine RPM in a helicopter that make this exception desirable.
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Thu May 05, 2022 6:31 pm

Some of us just like analog style meters. Maybe its and "old guy" thing. As long as there are options that include others wants and wishes including the one that has all the data that is availble with the current meter viewable simultaneously in one window, who cares?

I'm very impressed with Richie's ability to code a very attractive, lifelike analog style meter and look forward to using it!

Joe, W4WT
m0cpy

Postby m0cpy » Thu May 05, 2022 7:24 pm

Hi Richie, These meters look really great and look forward to seeing and using them... Could I add one point could the scale range go to 200w for us 8000 guys.

cheers
M0CPY /Andy
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu May 05, 2022 8:13 pm

m0cpy wrote:Hi Richie, These meters look really great and look forward to seeing and using them... Could I add one point could the scale range go to 200w for us 8000 guys.

cheers
M0CPY /Andy

yes, power limit per radio model needs to be implemented yet. If a meter uses an image, it will look for _100 _200 _25 etc etc on the ends of images, eventually ;)
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu May 05, 2022 9:46 pm

ramdor wrote:Hey all,

Well, a day of sorting out data to image calibration, so I just had to implement a cross needle meter. The images are thanks to Ernst, OE3IDE.

The meters are fabulous Richie and beautiful art work by Ernst! Thank you for all the effort going into this! Just my opinion here but as a ham who grew up in the analog era of electronics I love the arc and swing of a nice big meter. Major props to you for having the skill to calibrate the multi-meter scales. Amazing!

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w2ner

Postby w2ner » Thu May 05, 2022 11:24 pm

DH1KLM wrote:The new meters looking terrific.

I would love to see something like this in Thetis
Attachments
mimo.jpg
mimo.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 7013 times
meters.jpg
meters.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 7013 times
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Fri May 06, 2022 12:47 pm

Also with great appreciation and respect to Richie's efforts I'd 100% agree with Scott re metering. And I'd add to it that there are all the necessary tools there currently - and then some - to do ANY measurement - vastly superior to any other radio of any 'sort' out there. I'd add that functionality to me is more important than adding "I like that look" items. As a CW operator - as well as someone that operates SPLIT operation there are outstanding issues. These are functional issues that I come up against almost on a daily issue. They're known - I've posted them both as bugs and/or WANTWISH items.

I completely understand Richie your time is extremely valuable - and doing what you do - the hours you are obviously putting in - that doing things that excite you are important ... I'd only ask that things like this (the current presentation) not "go by the wayside/go away" and if instituted they're done so only as options. I don't like the look of the radio re all the dead space on the bottom - but other than that most of the real estate is optimally used - FUNCTIONALLY used.

As for "all of us have display real estate"... HUH? I know of few hams that run dual monitors - most run something like a 25 or 27" monitor and generally not 4K (or the characters are too tiny for most of our aging eyes). And ALL of the guys I do know complain they can't run necessary programs because they have no additional real estate. I know particularly of a ham, a DXer like myself, that bought a 7000 earlier this year because of all the things I was constantly telling him it could do. He has 2 27" monitors - and yet STILL doesn't have room to run additional programs. I am using a 27" 4K and a 40" 4K, few have the space to do that and even I have to overlap programs. So I'd wholeheartedly disagree that "all of us have screen real estate"... not without giving up room for something else - and then having to move things around if that "something else" is now needed.

Gary
K9RX
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Fri May 06, 2022 2:25 pm

Gary,

Re "real estate", as you noted there is currently lots of unused "dead space" in the lower portion of the console, some of which could be well utilized to house a good-size meter.

Also as an example, here's a screenshot of Simon Brown's S-meter in his SDR Console. Notice how it sits rather unobtrusively in the upper right corner of the spectrum scope. Also note how it has three needles -- peak, instant and noise floor -- lots of info there! It's also resizable.

Lol, I just remembered that screengrab was actually taken to record the horrible splatter of Bill's signal on 3.840. I'll not publish his callsign here but anyone listening stateside in the mornings between 8:00 and 10:00 am Central Time on that frequency can find out for themselves. His signal is very strong, and always that trashy. Positively disgusting!

Mark

S-Meter SDRC.PNG
S-Meter SDRC.PNG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 6893 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri May 06, 2022 3:12 pm

Hey all,

Currently working on docking....

Quick vid : https://youtu.be/jW-NcWgKVDo

I4LEC

Postby I4LEC » Fri May 06, 2022 4:29 pm

Just a minor bug that I have noticed, the auto mode switch (DSP/CW), does not seems to work when selected, not a new thing either :oops: .

Thanks for all the work

73, Clay
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Fri May 06, 2022 6:57 pm

Richie, the new meters look great. Personally, I like the look of old analog style meters.
I do think making it a choice ( optional) would be ideal as some may not care for the look.
I grew up with analog meters and I might be a bit prejudiced!
James
WD5GWY

I do find all the work you have put into Thetis quite amazing.
K0MO

Postby K0MO » Sat May 07, 2022 5:06 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
K1LSB wrote:I robustly disagree. As just one example, the new history feature in Richie's RX and TX Power analog meters conveys a large amount of easy-to-digest at-a-glance information in a single presentation that isn't available in any other format.
They display no more than two pieces of information at once, with a confusing and bewildering background of multiple scales, and in the RX case all but one or two of which are irrelevant to the current metering mode. How is that a "large amount"?
As a commercial helicopter pilot I can assure you that statement is substantially irrelevant to both my points and concerns.

You are confusing "analog" as equating to a dial type indicator. Anything with a pointer on top of a scale is "analog", so that includes bar type meters as well. I'm not against analog presentations of data, in fact they are very important. But old style moving coil meters represent a huge design compromise associated with inflexible hardware, limited panel space, and cost considerations. None of these factors are associated with modern software-driven, information displays.

When you look at any modern EIS (engine indication system) in an aircraft, and I stress modern because you can find some really dumb stuff in older instrumentation designs, you find:

1. A single value per meter, be they dial or bar type.
2. Rarely two values per meter, and only on dial types.
3. If there are two values those values are closely related somehow.
4. If there are two values they either share the same scale or the scales are physically part of different meter areas. Under no exception is more than one scale shown in an overlapping manner, they are always on different parts of the dial. There is one special exception to this that I can think of (see below).
5. In most cases the actual value is also indicated numerically.

Both analog and numeric presentations are important. This way you can obtain both a quick, general idea of the state of the value from the analog presentation, as well as a very precise measurement from the numeric presentation.

These are all excellent UI and ergonomic guidelines, and that's how modern cockpits are designed. Old-style, moving coil simulations meet almost none of the guidelines. Metering in Thetis or any other modern SDR software should meet these same guidelines.

Here's an example of a relatively low cost display that is currently available. It displays no less than 24 parameters

3 numeric only parameters
9 combined analog and numeric parameters
12 analog parameters summarized by two numeric parameters

gi-275-eis.jpg

The one special exception I alluded to is the engine/rotor RPM display in a helicopter. Many of these (not all, not the one in my helicopter) display both rotor and engine RPM over two disparate scales. However the pointers and scales are arranged so that under nominal operating conditions both pointers are aligned right on top of each other, or nearly so. This is one of the rare exceptions, and there are unique ergonomic requirements associated with the maintenance of rotor and engine RPM in a helicopter that make this exception desirable.

I agree with Scott. WANTS/WISHES: the MAN / RPM digital numeric / analog needle indicators on the top of the main meter gauge in black background is certainly easy to read at a glance and would be very effective as a S-Meter, Wattmeter, Mic Level, ALC COMP indicators.

They are very compact and don't take up space either :)

Manny K0MO
Last edited by K0MO on Sat May 07, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 07, 2022 5:45 pm

I'm not sure people are thinking big enough. One need not be limited to one or two dial style gauges, be they old fashioned or ultra-modern.

Here's what, IMHO, would be most useful, something like this:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.34 KiB) Viewed 6645 times

Where each vertical bar Is user defined/selected to represent the parameter desired and has:

1. An appropriate, easy to read scale.
2. A solid section the top of which indicates the average value, or just the value if there was no separate peak and average information.
3. A bar that floats over the top of the solid section indicating the peak value where available.
4. A numeric readout at the bottom showing the current numeric value and the units they are in (my example has no units--too lazy to Photoshop it).
5. A numeric readout at the top showing the current peak value.
6. A parameter label at the top or bottom (my lazy example shows "Gain", but you get the idea, I hope).

Such an arrangement provides a most efficient use of space while still allowing a large amount of information to be clearly and consistently displayed and understood.

Also:

7. A typical layout need not have a fixed number of bars, but there might be some maximum number allowable.
8. Bars would grow/shrink in width and height to fill the available space in the Window/Windoid/Docker, but there should be some minimum allowable width and height so that they cannot be shrunk infinitesimally small.
9. Scales might become more or less detailed depending on the absolute size of the bar in pixels.
10. Context would NOT change between RX and TX--to do so risks confusion. The more meters allowed, the less important it is to change context.

A typical lineup of bars might be:

MIC, ALC Group, FWD PWR, SWR, S-meter (both avg and peak on the same meter), PBSNR

Bars need not be colorized as in my example, but one could play all kinds of games here. For instance TX related bars might have a different color background than RX related bars, etc.

Scott
K0MO

Postby K0MO » Sat May 07, 2022 6:20 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:I'm not sure people are thinking big enough. One need not be limited to one or two dial style gauges, be they old fashioned or ultra-modern.

Here's what, IMHO, would be most useful, something like this:

Capture.JPG

Where each vertical bar Is user defined/selected to represent the parameter desired and has:

1. An appropriate, easy to read scale.
2. A solid section the top of which indicates the average value, or just the value if there was no separate peak and average information.
3. A bar that floats over the top of the solid section indicating the peak value where available.
4. A numeric readout at the bottom showing the current numeric value and the units they are in (my example has no units--too lazy to Photoshop it).
5. A numeric readout at the top showing the current peak value.
6. A parameter label at the top or bottom (my lazy example shows "Gain", but you get the idea, I hope).

Such an arrangement provides a most efficient use of space while still allowing a large amount of information to be clearly and consistently displayed and understood.

Also:

7. A typical layout need not have a fixed number of bars, but there might be some maximum number allowable.
8. Bars would grow/shrink in width and height to fill the available space in the Window/Windoid/Docker, but there should be some minimum allowable width and height so that they cannot be shrunk infinitesimally small.
9. Scales might become more or less detailed depending on the absolute size of the bar in pixels.
10. Context would NOT change between RX and TX--to do so risks confusion. The more meters allowed, the less important it is to change context.

A typical lineup of bars might be:

MIC, ALC Group, FWD PWR, SWR, S-meter (both avg and peak on the same meter), PBSNR

Bars need not be colorized as in my example, but one could play all kinds of games here. For instance TX related bars might have a different color background than RX related bars, etc.

Scott

That's my kind of meter Scott. It looks simple, efficient, elegant and customizable for my individual needs ;)

73, Manny

Return to “Thetis”