Playback recording

dynamicfusion

Playback recording

Postby dynamicfusion » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:39 pm

When using the line-in port for audio, and VAC disabled, when quick recording my transmit voice, the quick playback when NOT transmitting looks like a double sideband signal in the panadapter and its all distorted to hell. HOWEVER, when I PTT to transmit, that same audio then sounds natural and matches the mode im in. Is this expected behavior? To hear what I sound like in a recording, I would have to transmit which isn't a big deal but curious why the audio is showing up as doubleside band. Thoughts?
w-u-2-o

Re: Playback recording

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:21 pm

That this is normal behavior is all I know. Not sure why it works that way :(
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:49 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:That this is normal behavior is all I know. Not sure why it works that way :(

If I record myself and play it back the equalizer is disabled. With the EQ disabled I don't hear my real transmit audio in playback.
( Mon, Mox,Dup,Play)
If I record someone else and play them back the EQ is not disabled and they sound as recorded.
How do I monitor my true transmit
Anan 7000DLE 2.9.0.6 / 2v2.1.18
No external audio processing / no VAC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:49 pm

I don't use record and playback, but my understanding is that on playback of ANY recording all audio processing is disabled. It doesn't matter if it was audio recorded off the air or audio recorded via the microphone, Thetis has no way of determining the source of the recording. This was discussed extensively when the CFC compressor came on the scene, as initially the CFC was not being disabled on playback and off-air recordings were being played back with a lot of extra compression on top.

So I think you cannot use the built-in recording feature to adjust transmit audio settings. You have to use an external audio recording capability.

Somebody please check me/correct me on that.

You can hear your real transmit audio using MON, but only if you disable PureSignal. That's because MON picks off the signal after all processing and just before the DAC output, and at that point if PureSignal is turned on the predistortion will be mangling what you hear (it get's "unmangled" by the non-linearity in the RF chain and comes out linear at the antenna).

Of course if you use MON the latency is so bad you can't do real-time monitoring.

AFAIK, the best way to do this is to record a sample of speech using the microphone. Then transfer that recording to an external application and play it back in a continuous loop via VAC. Then make adjustments listening to MON with PureSignal turned off. And all into a dummy load, of course.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:42 pm

It has been a while since I have tried this. I tested this again and this is what I've found.

Correction Edit: One can use the REC and PLAY buttons from the UI to record a signal off the air. Then, push MOX ,then PLAY and the recorded audio will play back legibly over the air.

Under the Wave tab at the top of the UI, recording from on the air signals are possible. They can be legibly replayed if MOX is pressed. From this point the transmitted .wav file can be played and monitored via the MON button.

Rob, W1AEX uses this example in the video demonstrating how to record the transmitted signal. Then, playing it in a loop while adjusting your own settings under the Setup>DSP>CFC tab utilizing the CFC audio tools. That video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5JmDAaDBVo

This is a very good video on utilizing the CFC Audio Tools. Maybe this video might help with the question asked.
I have used this method to record, by request, and playback another's audio signal on the air to give them and idea of how they sound. Even this is not straight forward or easy. From what I can tell this is the only way to record and listen to a wav file from within Thetis.
Of course, the audio file can be played from a player external to Thetis.

Maybe the original question can be answered from within this information.

I have requested ,via Want/Wish, that the Recording and Playback be looked at.

EDIT: I have edited this post so many times now that it's almost completely new. :D I just want to make sure all my facts are indeed that. CORRECT

:::Content edited for spelling, grammar and lack of a good train of thought.
Last edited by rbduck on Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:14 pm

Thanks Ruben!

Return to “Thetis”