TCP/IP CAT Server

NC3Z

TCP/IP CAT Server

Postby NC3Z » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:01 pm

Figured I would start a new topic here for this new feature.

Having a few questions:

1. Hitting the Default button my port sets back to 13013 but others hams I have talked to say theirs go 50001.

2. I can not get TunerReminder to connect but I can get Log4OM to work, but not using the TCI, it will not work. But if I setup the HamLib tab as a "Network connected radio" and RIG as OpenHPSDR it connects fine via the Thetis TCP/IP server. Anyone get TunerReminder to work?
Gary NC3Z
oe3ide

Re: TCP/IP CAT Server

Postby oe3ide » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:20 pm

NC3Z wrote:Figured I would start a new topic here for this new feature.

Having a few questions:

1. Hitting the Default button my port sets back to 13013 but others hams I have talked to say theirs go 50001.

2. I can not get TunerReminder to connect but I can get Log4OM to work, but not using the TCI, it will not work. But if I setup the HamLib tab as a "Network connected radio" and RIG as OpenHPSDR it connects fine via the Thetis TCP/IP server. Anyone get TunerReminder to work?

Please do not be confused. TCI is not TCPIP-CAT!

TCPIP/CAT is configured via Setup > CAT Control > CAT+ (bottom section)

TCI is configured via Setup > CAT Control > User Interface (bottom left section)

73 Ernst
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:26 pm

I don't see any TCP CAT control setup in CAT+
Just CAT2 CAT3 CAT4.
Mike W9MDB
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:33 pm

w9mdb wrote:I don't see any TCP CAT control setup in CAT+
Just CAT2 CAT3 CAT4.

it is there.jpg
it is there.jpg (144.18 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

But for TCI for TunerReminder, Log4OM, etc.. you need this:
you need this.jpg
you need this.jpg (131.35 KiB) Viewed 4489 times

If you run Thetis and Log4OM/TunerReminder on the same machine, please use 127.0.0.1 as ip-address, otherwise, some firewalls may also be in the game.

73 Ernst
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:00 pm

I don't have the TCI Server or the TCP/IP controls.
I'm running Thetis 2.8.11 21k8.
Mike W9MDB
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:01 pm

Ah yes Ernst, got it now, I got focused TCP/IP and didnt look to find TCI.
Gary NC3Z
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:06 pm

Well now that I found that TCP/IP is not TCI and then configured TCI, whenever I try to connect Log4OM via TCI or TunerReminder it causes Thetis to close. And yes I am using 127.0.0.1.

Back to troubleshooting.
Gary NC3Z
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:08 pm

w9mdb wrote:I don't have the TCI Server or the TCP/IP controls.
I'm running Thetis 2.8.11 21k8.

You need 21k9 pre7
Gary NC3Z
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:14 pm

there will be another test release later today, the internals of tci server have changed quite a bit this morning

Richie.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:38 pm

OK, thanks Ritchie.
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:39 pm

As more people check into this particular topic, perhaps the following will be helpful

It is very easy to conflate all of this TCP/IP/CAT/TCI stuff. To help sort it out, be mindful of the OSI Layer Model for communications:

OSI-7-layers.jpg
OSI-7-layers.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 4400 times

Layers 1 through 5 correspond to either serial communications or TCP/IP.

Layers 6 through 7 correspond to either CAT or TCI.

Some of these lines do blur a little in Layers 4 and 5, but let's not confuse ourselves with that minutia.

Currently CAT is available over both serial and TCP/IP. CAT works the same regardless of how the messages are carried, i.e. carrier pigeon (serial) or jet fighter (TCP/IP) ;)

Currently TCI is available only over TCP/IP.

AFAIK, from a Thetis standpoint there is nothing you can do with TCI that you can't do with CAT, at least so far. They are just two different command sets. Think of them as French and German. Some software speaks French. Other software speaks German. Some speak both.

Depending upon how extensive the vocabulary that is implemented you may be better off using one or the other. Just because TCI is new does not make it better. TCI was "sexy" because it used a TCP/IP connection. As more and more software implements CAT over IP, this distinction will disappear. FWIW I'm currently interfacing Node Red, Thetis and a KPA1500 over TCP/IP using CAT. I'm hoping that DXLabs will add CAT over IP soon.
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:44 pm

Except TCI also supports full scale audio which is not supported via CAT.
Unfortunately is uses websockets which makes a bit more difficult to make portable.
Mike W9MDB
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:57 pm

Yep, tci can support bi-directional audio at various sample rates, as well as I/Q stream. Of course it needs implement/integrating with the audio/stream system of Thetis, that is some way down the road.

Unfortunately not much supports TCI and from what I have seen not much supports CAT over TCP/IP. Some of the software that supports TCI is listed here : https://eesdr.com/en/software-en/software-en

All that said, it is nice to get rid of virtual com ports and the nightmare that results in splitting com ports and getting data to concurrent apps.

Richie.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:05 pm

ramdor wrote:
All that said, it is nice to get rid of virtual com ports and the nightmare that results in splitting com ports and getting data to concurrent apps.

Richie.

It sure is
4L5O

Postby 4L5O » Tue May 17, 2022 10:35 am

Hello to all.
Can i CAT control for example UCXLOG, or N1MM log?
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Tue May 17, 2022 12:29 pm

N1MM works with Thetis's virtual com ports.
UCXLog also works with them.
Mike W9MDB
4L5O

Postby 4L5O » Tue May 17, 2022 1:29 pm

w9mdb wrote:N1MM works with Thetis's virtual com ports.

Very good, Thank you for info,
i'm waiting my order, 7000 dle.

Please if you know Where can I find instruction? How can we cat control to ucxlog?

Kind regards,
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 17, 2022 1:33 pm

4L5O wrote:
w9mdb wrote:N1MM works with Thetis's virtual com ports.

Very good, Thank you for info,
i'm waiting my order, 7000 dle.

Please if you know Where can I find instruction? How can we cat control to ucxlog?

Kind regards,

If you have questions about UCXLog setup, please post a new topic about that with a descriptive title in the following sub-forum:

viewforum.php?f=16
Chiron

Postby Chiron » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:02 am

ramdor wrote:Yep, tci can support bi-directional audio at various sample rates, as well as I/Q stream. Of course it needs implement/integrating with the audio/stream system of Thetis, that is some way down the road.

Unfortunately not much supports TCI and from what I have seen not much supports CAT over TCP/IP. Some of the software that supports TCI is listed here : https://eesdr.com/en/software-en/software-en

Richie.

Hello Richie,

I'm using your latest version of Thetis. It realy works very nice. I have a compleet setup with autotuning my Stockcorner tuner and PA by using DDutils. Latency is almost zero. Very quick response, no difference woth other conventional radio noticeble.
One of the things I'm also working on is remote working via internet.
I've two different remote setups. One is with thetis and RemoteHams. In RCForb I use the Flex radio setting. That works. Not perfect but does work.

All my remote stations configurations are missing the remote control of my stockcorner tuner. I can remote controll it, but need to use a seperate VNC or teamviewer for that.

Can I use the TCI and or TCP/IP Cat server to use my homesetup with Thetis, DDUtils, Tuner and PA?

One of the thoughts is:
* Thetis at home active
* Thetis at home also working as host/server
* on the remote location using Thetis acting like a client connected with the host.

Is that possible? This way you can remote control with all features without the high datarate/internetbandwidth.

Does a program like RadioSync help me with this.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:08 am

@Chiron

The TCI and TCP/IP control features of Thetis are not directly useful for obtaining remote control of a station. They are merely two more ways of doing what serial CAT already does.

Thus your RCForb/VNC/Teamviewer combination is, currently, the one of the best setups possible, and neither TCI or TCP/IP CAT control can improve upon that.

If you have further questions about remote access, please post them in the Remote Operation sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=24

Return to “Thetis”