3D connexion space navigator not working?

G1XOW

3D connexion space navigator not working?

Postby G1XOW » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:47 pm

Hi All,

I spotted the option for the space navigator (3D connexions) in setup>navigation>Space Navigator so I went ahead and purchased one thinking it would be perfect as a VFO tuning knob.

I installed the driver and 3D nav/setup app, and enabled it in Thetis (2.8.11-21h2) but it appears to do nothing useful. Am I missing a setting maybe? Do I need to configure anything in the MIDI side as well?

It does work fine in the 3D demo app that comes with the manufacturers software, so I can be pretty certain there is not a problem with Windows, drivers etc.

Puzzled, Steve :? G1XOW
w-u-2-o

Re: 3D connexion space navigator not working?

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 pm

This option has done nothing for a long, long time. It would appear to be a code remnant/unfinished capability from at least as far back as 2014. The option should probably be removed.
G1XOW

Postby G1XOW » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:43 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:This option has done nothing for a long, long time. It would appear to be a code remnant/unfinished capability from at least as far back as 2014. The option should probably be removed.

Oh crap, sounds like I just wasted my money on a dead feature.

Is there a good reason for its removal, or can it be made to work like it used to?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:21 pm

I don't think there is, or ever was, any code there to rescue.

I fact, now that I think back on it, this was just a teaser setting in the original, legacy Flex version of PowerSDR. I remember trying it, same as you, when I had my Flex 3000. I sold that Spaceball to a friend of mine.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 pm

yes, just had a quick check, and unfortunately nothing behind those check boxes. There is some old code in the main console, but much of it references elements that no longer exist. I'll will hide/remove it all for next patch. Interesting though, I guess it was never finalised or made to work.

On that subject, you can use a midi mixer (somewhat inexpensive), or re-purpose and old mouse wheel with optical encoder etc, go home brew and use the RawInput HID control that under the navigation tab.

If you can get the space nav to simulate a mouse wheel, then perhaps you can use the rawinput stuff in the same way.

R.
G1XOW

Postby G1XOW » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:47 pm

ramdor wrote:yes, just had a quick check, and unfortunately nothing behind those check boxes. There is some old code in the main console, but much of it references elements that no longer exist. I'll will hide/remove it all for next patch. Interesting though, I guess it was never finalised or made to work.

On that subject, you can use a midi mixer (somewhat inexpensive), or re-purpose and old mouse wheel with optical encoder etc, go home brew and use the RawInput HID control that under the navigation tab.

If you can get the space nav to simulate a mouse wheel, then perhaps you can use the rawinput stuff in the same way.

R.

Thanks Richie, I'll send it back whilst I still can. I already use the Berhringer CMD MDI anyway, was just looking for a nice smooth and heavy-weighted VFO knob solution. I'll keep looking!

ps. the Diversity (phasing panel) needs to be made to stay on top, or maybe even dockable?

73 de Steve G1XOW

Return to “Thetis”