Compatibility of versions of Thetis and Radios

JJ4SDR

Compatibility of versions of Thetis and Radios

Postby JJ4SDR » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:03 am

Hi y’all, Newbie here with a brand-new 7000 DLE MKII (Black version) :D ,

The other day I was playing around with a profile (he has awesome audio with a well filled out envelope) a good friend of mine sent me. He is using an 100B and I believe Thetis 2.8.12? I used v2.8.11.

Had DUP/MON engaged and noticed that my TX bandwidth was twice what it should have been (I was on 20 m USB), like I was on DSB! Then, after a few minutes later the bandwidth got halved. Doug, W5WC, already educated me on this saying that “the databases for several of the versions of Thetis are not compatible nor is the ones ones for those using PowerSDR and importing them into Thetis.”

Anyone else run into something similar to what is described above?

Best!
Juha
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Re: Compatibility of versions of Thetis and Radios

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:02 pm

JJ4SDR wrote:The other day I was playing around with a profile (he has awesome audio with a well filled out envelope) a good friend of mine sent me. He is using an 100B and I believe Thetis 2.8.12? I used v2.8.11.

2.8.11 is the latest version. For the latest, latest developmental version of 2.8.11, see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3817

Had DUP/MON engaged and noticed that my TX bandwidth was twice what it should have been (I was on 20 m USB), like I was on DSB! Then, after a few minutes later the bandwidth got halved. Doug, W5WC, already educated me on this saying that “the databases for several of the versions of Thetis are not compatible nor is the ones ones for those using PowerSDR and importing them into Thetis.”

Anyone else run into something similar to what is described above?

This certainly could be a bad/corrupted database. Your best bet would be to look at all of your friend's settings and then duplicate them in a fresh database.

Remember that a TX profile that makes one person sound good might make another person sound terrible, particularly if there is a lot of EQ or adjustment of band gains in the CFC. Your characteristics of you voice might not work well with those settings.
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi Scott!

Sure appreciate your response. What you say makes sense.

Yes, I am fully aware of TX profiles not being compatible necessarily at all due to many reasons. I was merely anxious to give his settings a shot for a “look-see” (or, should I write “look-hear” ;) ) and the sound wasn’t too bad. For my mic (tube condenser) and above all my voice, it needs - among other things - some “softening” that I will bring about - for instance - using a “Virtual tape machine.”

Furthermore, I am also going to be using VST plug-ins as well for processing that isn’t available through the wonderful tools that Anan provides. Been at this “ESSB” business only for about 9 years and transitioned over from a Kenwood TS950SDX. This - overall massaging/sculpting/forming/molding for the “ultimate” sound belongs in another thread so I will stop here.

I am super excited to have finally hopped on-board this ever-evolving Anan platform :) !

Best!
JJ
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:52 pm

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/potato.htm will be your best friend if you are looking to interface a DAW with Thetis.
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:18 pm

Delivery of my 7000DLE MKII is imminent. I have a Motu M4 USB audio interface and a Warm Audio condenser mic. The PC I will be using already has a paid version of Virtual Audio Cable (NOT the VB-Audio virtual audio cable). Does anyone know if Potato will work with Eugene Muzychenko's Virtual Audio Cable?
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:24 pm

WU1T wrote: Does anyone know if Potato will work with Eugene Muzychenko's Virtual Audio Cable?

I can confirm that they both work fine on my PC.
Gary NC3Z
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:43 pm

NC3Z wrote:
WU1T wrote: Does anyone know if Potato will work with Eugene Muzychenko's Virtual Audio Cable?

I can confirm that they both work fine on my PC.

Excellent, thank you!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:26 pm

WU1T wrote:Delivery of my 7000DLE MKII is imminent. I have a Motu M4 USB audio interface and a Warm Audio condenser mic. The PC I will be using already has a paid version of Virtual Audio Cable (NOT the VB-Audio virtual audio cable). Does anyone know if Potato will work with Eugene Muzychenko's Virtual Audio Cable?

Just to clarify:

1. Both Potato and Muzy VAC can and do happily coexist on the same computer and can both be used at the same time.

2. You will NOT need either Potato or Muzy VAC to use your Motu M4 if you plan on also listening to the radio with speakers/headphones plugged into the Motu.

3. If you want to listen on a device other than the Motu, then Potato will be the correct tool for the job.

When the time comes, if you are having trouble, start a new topic in the Digital/Virtual audio sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=13
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:42 pm

WU1T wrote:Delivery of my 7000DLE MKII is imminent. I have a Motu M4 USB audio interface and a Warm Audio condenser mic. The PC I will be using already has a paid version of Virtual Audio Cable (NOT the VB-Audio virtual audio cable). Does anyone know if Potato will work with Eugene Muzychenko's Virtual Audio Cable?

Thetis itself doesn't need any external VAC to connect with Potato. Thetis can directly access Potato's Virtual ASIO channel.

I'm also using a MOTU M4, here's my Audio VAC1 screen in Thetis:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (252.45 KiB) Viewed 4753 times

Mark
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:25 pm

Thanks Mark, that screenshot will come in handy for me.
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:

Just to clarify:

1. Both Potato and Muzy VAC can and do happily coexist on the same computer and can both be used at the same time.

2. You will NOT need either Potato or Muzy VAC to use your Motu M4 if you plan on also listening to the radio with speakers/headphones plugged into the Motu.

3. If you want to listen on a device other than the Motu, then Potato will be the correct tool for the job.

When the time comes, if you are having trouble, start a new topic in the Digital/Virtual audio sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=13

Thanks for the tips. I guess my concern was whether Potato would try to install something that would be in conflict with Muzy VAC. I have done some initial testing with Potato + Motu M4 + Microphone and sent it over to Audacity for recording using Muzy VAC and it was all fine. In the end I'll just do what Mark does and assign the in/outs in to the Voicemeeter devices. I am not sure I will use the Motu as the sound output device as I also have a Soundblaster AE-5 in this PC, which is a pretty good sound board and attached to that I have my Audioengine speakers. I think I should be good to go.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm

WU1T wrote:I have done some initial testing with Potato + Motu M4 + Microphone and sent it over to Audacity for recording using Muzy VAC and it was all fine. In the end I'll just do what Mark does and assign the in/outs in to the Voicemeeter devices. I am not sure I will use the Motu as the sound output device as I also have a Soundblaster AE-5 in this PC, which is a pretty good sound board and attached to that I have my Audioengine speakers. I think I should be good to go.

Perhaps some caution and additional research might be in order, because:

- You don't need Potato or Muzy VAC to record from your Motu in Audacity
- You don't need Muzy VAC to get from Voicemeeter to anything
- The Motu will be as good as or better than the AE-5
- Your speakers, if they are powered, will plug right into the Motu
- By using the Motu by itself will substantially reduce complexity

If you do need a virtual audio mixing/routing capability, you definitely want to use Voicemeeter by itself, not Muzy VAC, because your Motu, your AE-5, Thetis and Voicemeeter all support ASIO, whereas Muzy VAC does not, and you definitely want to be using ASIO for low latency.
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:44 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Perhaps some caution and additional research might be in order, because:

- You don't need Potato or Muzy VAC to record from your Motu in Audacity
- You don't need Muzy VAC to get from Voicemeeter to anything
- The Motu will be as good as or better than the AE-5
- Your speakers, if they are powered, will plug right into the Motu
- By using the Motu by itself will substantially reduce complexity

If you do need a virtual audio mixing/routing capability, you definitely want to use Voicemeeter by itself, not Muzy VAC, because your Motu, your AE-5, Thetis and Voicemeeter all support ASIO, whereas Muzy VAC does not, and you definitely want to be using ASIO for low latency.

Super, I appreciate the additional info. I only bring up Muzy VAC because I had it on my PC already, and was using it to goof with sending SDR receiver (Airspy) audio to different places. I figured, if I could keep it and reuse it, I may as well. I have another PC in the shack I can do the SDR receiver stuff with anyways so I could just move my VAC license over there.

I definitely DO want to keep Potato in the mix here (no pun intended). Any good links for a noob to get a grasp on ASIO maybe especially as it relates to what we are doing here with SDR rigs?

Thanks.
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:50 pm

Well nevermind, looks like I found the answer to my question above and it was already written by you :)

https://anan-100d.wdfiles.com/local--fi ... _setup.pdf

Gonna go through that.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 pm

That write-up is getting a bit dated. There is a lot of good info on the forum here, too. Just search on "Voicemeeter".
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Will do, thanks!

Return to “Thetis”