use of Thetis under Linux

Martinb

use of Thetis under Linux

Postby Martinb » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:06 am

Hello,
as an active Microsoft avoider I hasitate to jump on Thetis, but it seems it would be unavodable to use this software with any of the apache labs Radios.

Is there a way to operate the software by any means on a Linux mashine (At the moment I am using LinuX Mint 20.1) Or ist there any altenative programs.

I hope this post is not seen to be missplaced, if someone has a good advice were ir would be better place, please let me know

best regards
Martin
DL5DS
w-u-2-o

Re: use of Thetis under Linux

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:14 am

Martin,

Perhaps you missed the linhpsdr and pihpsdr sections of the forum. Both are Linux based clients for Apache hardware.

As is typical with such clients, they are not nearly as popular or well supported. Perhaps most important, neither is nearly as feature-rich as Thetis.

Personally, I run both Linux and Windows machines depending on which is the best tool for the job. IMHO Windows based software is, by far, the superior choice in this case. But you must find your own salvation, of course.

Scott
Martinb

Postby Martinb » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:38 pm

Scott,
thanks for your response,
I intentionally asked my question in this section of the Forum since I what hear about Thesis this software gives the best performance from all choices I have seen so far.
My hope was that to find a way to bridge the gap between my Linux and Thetis by different means than buying a new Computer or at least a Windows version.

by the way, Any chance to use Wine??

Martin
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:04 pm

I don't believe that anyone has gotten Thetis to run well under Wine, but that's only my recollection.
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:22 pm

I did't tried the Linux version myself but have a look at Spark https://www.sparksdr.com/
I use(d) the Win64 version for a while, that one works nicely and there's a very supportive user group.
I like Spark but Thetis and SDRC are many miles ahead and two program's are more then enough but i keep an eye on Spark's progress.

r/Leon
73 PD3LK Leon
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:53 pm

I've been able to get Thetis v2.6.7 to work under Debian Buster (release 10), wine-6.0

Clicking on buttons sometimes requires double hitting or just holding a bit longer.

I wasn't able to install any higher version of Thetis due to dependencies for graphics and such.

BTW I have not tested this very thoroughly, only receive.

Coming back to testing it I find I can only start it up from the Desktop Icon I created.
From the command line it fails to start. This is my Thetis Desktop Icon in case you may
want it to try:

$ cat ~/Desktop/Thetis.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Thetis
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/mh/.wine" wine C:\\\\Program\\ Files\\\\OpenHPSDR\\\\Thetis\\\\Thetis.exe
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Comment=Run Thetis
Path=/home/mh/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/OpenHPSDR/Thetis/
Icon=30DC_Thetis.0
StartupWMClass=thetis.exe

linux-thetis.png
linux-thetis.png (841.27 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

-Rick / N1GP

Return to “Thetis”