Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

vk1hx

Re: Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

Postby vk1hx » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:31 am

W1AEX wrote:I would love to see the implementation of an analog-type meter such as the one that is available in the Genesis SDR variant of PowerSDR.

I second this option of the analog S-Meter used in the Genesis SDR program, they look cool and provide more signal detail, even expanding to show tx/alc/comp/swr readings all on the one meter. Even to the point of making the top section of Thetis like Genesis where you have VFO A/B and if running 2nd Receiver both meters at the top on each side.

73' Phil - VK1HX
73, Phil - VK1HX
tok2010

Postby tok2010 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:56 am

Hi Great Developers,

I'm using Thetis V2.8.11 for SSB as well as for CW.
My wish is Tune Step should be set to100Hz when CW selected. 1kHz is set again when SSB. mode. SDR Console V3 adopts this scheme.

Is this already considered as one of the change list?

Tokio
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:10 pm

Hopefully what you mean is that TUNE STEP, whatever its value, should be remembered with the mode (or bandstack). 100Hz is FAR too wide on CW for serious operation ... I use 2Hz on CW and 10Hz on SSB. It would be nice to have these set per the mode.

Gary
K9RX
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:44 pm

I assume that too, Gary. Associating Tune Step with mode would be helpful, but should be a setting as per operator preference.

In non-contest operating most hams using modern gear seem to operate on exact 1kHz frequencies on SSB, but can be anywhere during a contest. On CW and digital modes operating frequency increments could be anything, contest or non-contest.

So, in casual operating I use the mouse to select SSB stations in the display and therefore having a step size of 500Hz makes it easy to click exactly on a signal of interest. On CW it's more natural to use the MIDI wheel for tuning along with a finer increment, say, 10Hz or smaller. In contests I use the wheel for both modes and so I also use the finer increment on SSB.

As it is, I increment up/down in step size as needed using a button on my MIDI controller. If I could set a default step size for each mode it would save a lot of adjusting.
Chris, W2PA
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:05 am

W2PA wrote:...As it is, I increment up/down in step size as needed using a button on my MIDI controller. If I could set a default step size for each mode it would save a lot of adjusting.

I've thought the same. My right MIDI controller wheel is programmed to function as VFO A, Directly under it are three pushbuttons. The middle button controls VFO lock while the two on either side adjust tuning steps -- left button for step-down, right button for step-up. That way, it's an easy one-hand operation to simultaneously tune and adjust steps when needed. The left wheel is just like the right with the wheel and buttons controlling VFO B.

I'm not sure if variable acceleration rate tuning is possible as with some transceivers but that would be a useful option to many operators.

Paul, W9AC
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:03 am

" I'm not sure if variable acceleration rate tuning is possible"

Also a big wish for me. Regards Leon
73 PD3LK Leon
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:46 am

oe3ide wrote:Would be nice to have an option (in the setup) to control the VFO copy function. Currently only the frequency is copied (should stay as default). An option to copy also mode and filter would be great.

73 Ernst

Hi Ernst,

Sorry for the delay on this. What does this refer to? CTRL C on the vfo box? or something else?

EDIT: ah ok... just realised you were talking about A>B or B<A copy?

Cheers, Richie.
Last edited by ramdor on Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:49 am

Most things added up to this point (see list in post 1). If something is missing and you feel it should not have been ignored, please add another post.

R.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:57 am

ramdor wrote:
oe3ide wrote:Would be nice to have an option (in the setup) to control the VFO copy function. Currently only the frequency is copied (should stay as default). An option to copy also mode and filter would be great.

73 Ernst

Hi Ernst,

Sorry for the delay on this. What does this refer to? CTRL C on the vfo box? or something else?

EDIT: ah ok... just realised you were talking about A>B or B<A copy?

Cheers, Richie.

Yes correct. The A->B and B->A
Usually copying the frequency is sufficient. But sometimes it makes sense to copy mode, RX-Fiter, etc. as well. As with conventional transceivers.

73 Ernst
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:15 am

Rich,

I don't see this in your list but can you make the step increments for the spectrum grid and waterfall smaller?

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3861&start=30#p15872

That would allow for finer real-time control of the waterfall intensity for those of us who have the waterfall linked to spectrum, without having to go into Setup.

Thanks,
Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:55 am

K1LSB wrote:Rich,

I don't see this in your list but can you make the step increments for the spectrum grid and waterfall smaller?

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3861&start=30#p15872

That would allow for finer real-time control of the waterfall intensity for those of us who have the waterfall linked to spectrum, without having to go into Setup.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes I agree it could do with quite a bit more work, the whole grid system that is. However, I have have already changed 21h to use Spectrum Grid Step taken from RX1/RX2 display tabs, instead of the 5dB step that was always used when moving the scales with the mouse. However, there is no check if numbers overlap etc other than displaying half of them when a panafall is <= 50% split, so on a low vertical resolution display, numbers can get a bit of a mess.

R.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:30 pm

Rich,

Then maybe I'm not understanding what the Spectrum Grid Step value does. I thought it would change the step values for the Spectrum Min and Max fields in that same tab, but all it does is change the grid numbering density down the left edge of the display. The Spectrum Min and Max step values stay at 5 regardless of the value applied in Spectrum Grid Step.

Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:01 pm

K1LSB wrote:Rich,

Then maybe I'm not understanding what the Spectrum Grid Step value does. I thought it would change the step values for the Spectrum Min and Max fields in that same tab, but all it does is change the grid numbering density down the left edge of the display. The Spectrum Min and Max step values stay at 5 regardless of the value applied in Spectrum Grid Step.

Mark

yep that is how it used to work. You could set the step to 1, yet dragging would move everything by 5 as you say regardless. Now, since 21h which hasn't been released yet, that step for the number list on the left, is also used for the dragging step. Of course I could split it out and add a drag step, etc, with yet more setup fields :)

R.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:30 pm

Ah, I understand now, I was even confused as to which version I'm running (I'm on 21g but thought I was running 21h) -- jeez, if I had a second brain it'd be lonesome! :( That new functionality should accomplish exactly what I was looking for, thank you again for everything sir!

Mark
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:42 am

Midi-steps for waterfall low/high level (Setup => Display => RX1/RX2:

Changing the values via midi interface follows a 3db increment. Would be nice to have on option to change it to 1 db :-)

73 Ernst
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Add option in VAC1 settings to include RX2 audio on VAC1 output.

Thanks!

Scott
w8du

Postby w8du » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:23 pm

I think this was already requested by someone, but I would like to see an option for an analog-looking regular meter as an alternative to the edge-looking meter already present.
Thank you!
G1XOW

Postby G1XOW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:12 pm

Hi Richie,

A newish convert back to the Anan/PS/Thetis fold after 10 years on the dark side of Flex SDR, I had every Flex since the SDR-1000. I got sick of pretty software that look great but did very little for real radio operators and DX chasers. Now on the Anan-8000DLE with SSD amp from GW4WND at DXshop.

I have been running Thetis v2.8.11 for a while and apply every patch within a few days of you making it available. I am already on 21h2

My two big wishes as an SSD DX chaser :-

1) a Quick auto-split button where is goes: VFO-B to +/-5kHz and sets TX to VFO-B, also moves RX channel to left ear and the TX (split freq) to the right ear. Darrin KE9NS did this for me a few years ago in PowerSDR so he may be able to provide the code?

2) A Zoom to Band (ZTB) and Zoom to Sub-band (ZTS) button.

That's all from me. Look Thetis, keep it up and let me know if I can help with any testing.

73 de Steve G1XOW
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:52 am

G1XOW wrote:1) a Quick auto-split button where is goes: VFO-B to +/-5kHz and sets TX to VFO-B, also moves RX channel to left ear and the TX (split freq) to the right ear. Darrin KE9NS did this for me a few years ago in PowerSDR so he may be able to provide the code?

Oh yes, I support that! I do that with DDUtils but we are stuck on an old version now. This button must work in any mode of course.
G1XOW wrote:2) A Zoom to Band (ZTB) and Zoom to Sub-band (ZTS) button.

I know these buttons in SmartSDR too, they are very handy!
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:57 pm

OK, throwing caution to the wind, here: how about....<drum roll>....macro buttons in Thetis?

There's been some discussion about adding more and more buttons. There will never be enough buttons. Flipideedooda on split op's and all that sort of thing. Hard coding them would take the rest of anyone's life. Instead, why not create programmable macro buttons that can execute any combination of existing CAT commands? Then people can have whatever buttons they want. Put the button definitions in a convenient file, say a comma delimited text file, CSV file, or an XML file. One line/entry per button. then people can share their latest button creations around no fuss, no muss. Just mix and match the lines in the file as desired.

As for how to do this, take a page out of the DDUtil playbook. Literally just have the user type the CAT commands they want, per button. For instance, if you want a button to turn on MON, set tune power to 15W, and then assert TUN, just type ZZMO1;ZZTO015;ZZTU1; When you hit that button the CAT commands there will execute.

To edit the button we could force the user to edit a text file. Or it could be a right click and have a little editing window pop up. Whatever floats your boat. A nice frill would be a way to assign a color to the button, just to help sort them out. Buttons will need labels, too, of course.

If we want to take it to the next level, add a toggle button feature. On first click it executes CAT string 1 and turns to color "X". On the second click it executes CAT string 2 and turns back to the default color. That way, with one button, one could, for instance, do the split flippity DX chaser thing, then undo it. Or, to use my previous example, first ZZMO1;ZZTO015;ZZTU1;, then on the second click invert that, ZZTU0;ZZTO003;ZZMO0;

Next, next level after that would be to send strings out a previously defined CAT port to control amp's and whatnot. For instance, say you've got your awesome Elecraft KPA500 on CAT4. That amp will go into standby if you send it "^OS0;", and into operate with a "^OS1;". So, using the aforementioned tuning example, you might see a button to start a TUN cycle that looked like this:

CAT4(^OS0;);ZZMO1;ZZTO015;ZZTU1;

As for how to present the macro buttons there are at least two obvious methods. The most obvious would be a pop-up window like we get for settings, diversity, linearity, etc., probably with an "Always on top" checkbox option. Another method could be a toolbar style strip, either at the top or bottom. After that we'd all have to argue about the size of the buttons, how many buttons, whether they should be resizable, and all that sort of horrible minutia ;)

73 and you can blame me,

Scott
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:43 pm

Would Bandmap Auto-Scroll be possible?

I have a Kenwood TS-890 (Radio2 in my SO2R setup) and it makes tuning stations easier as the waterfall doesn't smear while tuning. I didn't really realize how nice the feature was until I was setting up my 7000 for the CQ WW RTTY contest next weekend.

I would make a video but G0MGX has a short one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSr1YiVlG4

Thanks,

George / W7GES

—————-

Never mind on this one! I forgot to mention I was using an External Knob to tune (T-Mate). I noticed earlier today if I press the CTUN button and turn the VFO Know it works exactly like the TS-890 in the video above. No changes necessary I just needed to experiment a little.
Last edited by W7GES on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:43 pm

73 Ernst

Seems like this already happens and is copied correctly into RX2 (when rx2 is shown), and the other way. I think the confusion has arisen because the small mode and filter labels on VFOB box when RX1 only is in use are not using RX1 values, but instead RX2 all the time. I will fix this.

incorrect.jpg
incorrect.jpg (33.98 KiB) Viewed 9510 times

R.
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:29 pm

vk1hx wrote:
W1AEX wrote:I would love to see the implementation of an analog-type meter such as the one that is available in the Genesis SDR variant of PowerSDR.
I second this option of the analog S-Meter used in the Genesis SDR program, they look cool and provide more signal detail, even expanding to show tx/alc/comp/swr readings all on the one meter. Even to the point of making the top section of Thetis like Genesis where you have VFO A/B and if running 2nd Receiver both meters at the top on each side.
73' Phil - VK1HX
I looked at an online video of the Genesis analog meter -- it seems very similar to the analog meters on Icom transceivers, back when they had actual meters instantiated (always wanted to use that word) in hardware. Before SDR, I preferred Icom transceivers, so I can't help but like the look of that meter.

But it has only one pointer. That means that, on transmit, only one quantity can be monitored at a time. So I suggest that an analog-type meter, if implemented, be an option. I really want multiple bargraphs so we can have a true TX multimeter. Here, again, is one of my better posts on this issue. https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3182&p=9625#p9625

73, John W1JA
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:27 am

Some shortcuts via right-click would be nice.

ie:
right-click on button RX EQ or TX EQ => opens eq window
right-click on band-buttons => opens bandstack
right-click on ps-a button => opens linearity window
right-click on tune button => opens setup window, tab transmit
right-click on 2Tone => opens setup window, tab tests

73 Ernst
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:42 pm

Good one, Ernst! Right click on a control is so intuitive, and there are a lot of those already, more would surely help!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:58 pm

Here's my wacky idea for today: a Zoom-to-Signal button.

The impetus for this is when monitoring an entire band, or an entire sub-band, once you start a QSO from that condition then you might want to center and zoom in on the signal you are working in order to gain a better appreciation for it's qualities, to more easily watch adjacent frequencies for activity, make it easier to adjust passband limits, etc.

Behavior:

- From a wideband spectral display condition, and a non-asserted Z2S button, upon pressing the Z2S button

-- zoom, pan, CTUN and spectral display center frequency would be stored
-- CTUN would be deactivated
-- zoom would go to a value maintained in the database which updates whenever zoom is changed when the Z2S state is asserted. The initial state in a fresh database could be something like 20KHz.

- Pressing the Z2S button again to de-assert that state would restore the display to its former conditions in accordance with the stored values.

A database of the relevant values will probably need to be maintained on band by band basis.

Put the button between the existing Zoom slider and the 0.5x button, or somewhere like that.

Thanks!

Scott
DL2LBV

Postby DL2LBV » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:42 pm

Richie,
I like the new xPA-button.
If I now look at the options for controlling my PA, I could switch it on by applying a voltage. So it would be great if I could control one of the receive pins with xPA at the same time.
The idea is, I press xPA, switch on the PA, at the same time I activate a transmit pin to prevent high-power transmission when tuning.

What do you think about it?

Jörg
ANAN 200 D - extra large :) , Protocol 1.915, i7-8550U, 16 GB, win 10, Thetis x64 v. 2.8.11 21k7
DL2LBV

Postby DL2LBV » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:52 pm

PS:
That would also mean that the one for the receive pins would also be activated for transmit.
ANAN 200 D - extra large :) , Protocol 1.915, i7-8550U, 16 GB, win 10, Thetis x64 v. 2.8.11 21k7
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:36 pm

DL2LBV wrote:Richie,
I like the new xPA-button.
If I now look at the options for controlling my PA, I could switch it on by applying a voltage. So it would be great if I could control one of the receive pins with xPA at the same time.
The idea is, I press xPA, switch on the PA, at the same time I activate a transmit pin to prevent high-power transmission when tuning.

What do you think about it?

Jörg

yeah will add to the list

R.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:38 pm

DL2LBV wrote:PS:
That would also mean that the one for the receive pins would also be activated for transmit.

there are only 7 pins, shared in RX/TX. but yes, a pin would need to be high in RX and TX. The TX side is ok, can be controlled by xPA, but xPA has no interaction on the RX pins (as yet).

R.

Return to “Thetis”