Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

DH1KLM

Re: Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

Postby DH1KLM » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:07 pm

Just a visual extension. Some more characters can be displayed so the names of the transmit profiles are better readable.

Beside the dark background I also tend to have a darker frame for all dropdown boxes also. But I dont know how to color the frame in Visual Studio.

As alway I have no clue what I am doing.

transmit profile original.PNG
transmit profile original.PNG (13.89 KiB) Viewed 10949 times
transmit profile DH1KLM.PNG
transmit profile DH1KLM.PNG (14.12 KiB) Viewed 10949 times
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:38 pm

Richie,

Not sure which direction you're ultimately taking the bandstack but I felt an urge to show you the way Simon Brown implements the equivalent concept in SDR Console.

In the screenshot below, every translucent gray vertical numbered stripe in the panadapter is a user-defined receiver complete with its own preset mode (LSB, SAM, CW, etc.), passband width, AGC gain, noise reduction settings, etc. Whenever the user clicks anywhere inside any of the the receiver stripes, the radio is automatically tuned to that frequency and set to those presets. While the user is in any of the receivers, changing any of the radio settings (frequency, passband width, noise filters, AGC gain, etc.) automatically updates that receiver with the new settings.

Any one of the defined receivers can be selected on-screen, and the currently selected receiver is highlighted (receiver #3 is selected in the pic). Any (or all) of the receivers can be hidden, unhidden or deleted at will.

IMO that implementation effectively eliminates the need for a bandstack window, because any of the defined receivers are definable and selectable on-screen.

I have no idea how much programming effort is involved in that implementation, I just wanted to show you how Simon does it. All of the receivers can also be managed in the Receive tab (which I unfortunately didn't capture in the snapshot).

Thanks for looking,
Mark

Loop on Ground 12-30-20 evening.PNG
Loop on Ground 12-30-20 evening.PNG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 10937 times
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:33 pm

Mark, hints, bug reports and wishes are ok but never tell a programmer how to do it´s work or make suggestions to copy something ;)
If you don't believe me then try to do the same with Simon (...) :lol:
It's good to have a couple of SDR program's, each with there own unique features. r/Leon
73 PD3LK Leon
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:57 pm

oe3ide wrote:Hi,

don't know if its possible:
Would be nice to show the signal strength on the y-axis in the panadapter-window (maybe switchable "default", "signal-dbm","signal-uV" or "signal-S-units) and if selected, show also these values in the peak-blobs.

73 Ernst

The default is dBm. dBuV is doable but of what value is it? An S-unit scale on the PS adapter does not make sense because S-units must be measured with the bandwidth of the receiver passband.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 pm

uV is not really necessary...
But if we would have dbm from the actual signal strength on the y-axis, then it would be easy to convert this to s-units.

If have read all your excellent explanations about noise-floor, s-units, etc....amazing stuff.
I am sure, the current scale on the y-axis is technically 100% correct, but for a non-engineer (like me) the current dbm-values are a bit confusing. Like viewing on a graph of a oscilloscope and not having the actual amplitude voltage on the y-axis (dealing with some offset).

Watching a signal on the panafall, which peaks @ -106dbm on the y-axis scale, which is actually a signal with -80dbm.
If this is technical not possible, not a big deal.

Like in SDRC:
sdrc1.jpg
sdrc1.jpg (142.79 KiB) Viewed 10921 times

sdrc2.jpg
sdrc2.jpg (140.27 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:36 pm

the trouble is Ernst, we will end up with a loads of questions as to why the Smeter scale on the left is different to the actual Smeter for the bandwidth being observed. I can covert that dbm reading to smeter values no problem, and the peak blob stuff and everything else, but it wont be right.

edit: and there is the issue with 30MHz with S9 being 50uV (-73dBm) @50ohm when below 30 meg, and S9 being 5uV (-93dBm) @50ohm for everything above 30 meg. So does everything jump around when you move the VFO through that 30mHz point?

R.
Last edited by ramdor on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:48 pm

ramdor wrote:the trouble is Ernst, we will end up with a loads of questions as to why the Smeter scale on the left is different to the actual Smeter for the bandwidth being observed. I can covert that dbm reading to smeter values no problem, and the peak blob stuff and everything else, but it wont be right.

R.

Ok, I understand (I believe ;-) )
I wonder how Simon is doing it? Either his s-meter reading or the y-axis-scale is not correct.

In order not to confuse anyone, it should stay as it is.

sdrc3.jpg
sdrc3.jpg (97.94 KiB) Viewed 10911 times

73 Ernst
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:53 pm

I edited the post above, but put it here as well...

There is the issue with 30MHz with S9 being 50uV (-73dBm) @50ohm when below 30 meg, and S9 being 5uV (-93dBm) @50ohm for everything above 30 meg. So does everything jump around when you move the VFO through that 30mHz point?

R.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:56 pm

So does everything jump around when you move the VFO through that 30mHz point?

nope :-)
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:00 pm

PD3LK wrote:Mark, hints, bug reports and wishes are ok but never tell a programmer how to do it´s work or make suggestions to copy something ;)
If you don't believe me then try to do the same with Simon (...) :lol:
It's good to have a couple of SDR program's, each with there own unique features. r/Leon

Leon,

I wasn't at all telling Richie how to do anything, nor was I suggesting that he copy anything of Simon's or anyone else's!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making a feature look or feel similar to an item in another application. To use the generic receiver stripe as just one very relevant example, every SDR radio panadapter has a "receiver" that looks like a vertical stripe down the display, with the width of the stripe corresponding to the user-defined width of the passband. They all look the same, behave the same, and they all are intended to convey the same information. There's nothing about the generic receiver stripe that any particular programmer has any inherent "rights" to.

In the same vein, there's nothing restricting any programmer from putting as many receivers on the screen at one time as he wishes. Likewise, there's nothing restricting the programmer's ability to update in real time any changes made to a receiver stripe by the user.

Your post is suggesting that Richie shouldn't have multiple receivers visible on the screen because Simon did it first. But Flex also has the ability to display more than one receiver at a time on the panadapter.

No programmer has exclusive rights to display multiple receivers in the panafall. Anyone can do it, all they have to do is program for it, with no permission needed from anyone else.

There are a million other aspects of Simon Brown's SDR Console that make it unique. For example, Simon colors each of his receivers a different color in the display (notice that I made no mention of that in my earlier post). For Thetis to have multiple receivers in the display takes nothing away from Simon.

And for the record, I myself am a seasoned programmer going decades back, doing multi-module programming, compiling and linking on IBM PC serial number 3016. I personally was also a beta tester for Microsoft's Business Basic Compiler. So I know a bit about programming practices and ethics.

Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:02 pm

oe3ide wrote:

yeah implemented wrong then I expect. As there should be a 20dBm shift/jump, or a 20dBm slope as you move above 30MHz. It is telling you lies :D

I just slapped it together fast as a test..... you can see the problem :

sm_bw_nono.jpg
sm_bw_nono.jpg (163.75 KiB) Viewed 10905 times

R.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:05 pm

ramdor wrote:
oe3ide wrote:

yeah implemented wrong then I expect. As there should be a 20dBm shift/jump, or a 20dBm slope as you move above 30MHz. It is telling you lies :D

I just slapped it together fast as a test..... you can see the problem :

sm_bw_nono.jpg

R.

yepp, not good :shock:
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Another wish:
* add 2Tone on/off and PS on/off to the available midi-commands (or I missed it, looked 3 times over the list)

73 Ernst
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:11 pm

oe3ide wrote:yepp, not good :shock:

yeah it would be like an hour job to put all that in, but like Scott said, it is completely wrong.

SDRConsole may be applying some sort of fudge-factor to make it look like it is in the 'ballpark' when showing Smeter numbers or he has got something clever going on. However, if it doesnt move/jump when you pass 30MHz, then take it all with a pinch of salt tbh because it isn't telling you anything useful at all.

I now find myself downloading SDRConsole :|

Richie.
vu2mb

Postby vu2mb » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:57 pm

ramdor wrote:ok, went through everything up to this point and added to the list in post 1. I have not added something you feel really needs to be there, please state your case below ;) :lol:

Also, keep them coming, some great ideas so far !

Richie.

Dear Richie,

With due respect, I would like to know if there is some criticality in adding DRM
filters? I was happy when I read your comments " went through everything up to this point."

I installed the latest version and did not find any filter option enabled. :(

Keep up the amazing work you are doing at the lightning speed.

Bhanu
VU2MB
Dell Alienware R10 AMD Ryzen 9 3950 PC-16 core @3.5 Ghz,
32GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) F URY DDR4 XMP at 2666MHz
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR 6
ANAN 8000DLE ANAN 200D ANAN 100D
Amplifier Mercury IIIS, Antenna Tuner: Palstar AT2K
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 pm

Perhaps there is already a way to do this ... I tried a SunSDR for a bit, did not keep it, but there was one feature I liked.

I use CTUN mode and setup pretty large stretches of bands, say the entire phone band. It would be nice if there was a "zoom to current position" button, that would put whatever frequency you happen to be on in the center, at a zoom bandwidth of your choice.

And if you un-click it it returns to the way it was set.

Doug
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:57 pm

vu2mb wrote:
Dear Richie,

With due respect, I would like to know if there is some criticality in adding DRM
filters? I was happy when I read your comments " went through everything up to this point."

I installed the latest version and did not find any filter option enabled. :(

Keep up the amazing work you are doing at the lightning speed.

Bhanu
VU2MB

It is no.21 in the list. You wont find any changes in Theits, well, because there haven't been any. I have not yet got to it, or any of the 20+ other things on the list, sorry Bhanu. All that has happened, is that it has been put on a list.

Richie.
Last edited by ramdor on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vu2mb

Postby vu2mb » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:21 pm

Dear Richie,

Thanks for the quick response.

My mistake. No problem I will wait for the list to clear.
It's in your list that's more than enough at the moment.
The way you are sorting things out, it would not take long.

Thanks and 73

Bhanu
VU2MB
Dell Alienware R10 AMD Ryzen 9 3950 PC-16 core @3.5 Ghz,
32GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) F URY DDR4 XMP at 2666MHz
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR 6
ANAN 8000DLE ANAN 200D ANAN 100D
Amplifier Mercury IIIS, Antenna Tuner: Palstar AT2K
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:10 pm

1.png
1.png (71.05 KiB) Viewed 10829 times

... and there doesn't seem to be any jump in S-Meter reading around 30MHz, unless there is an option for it.

R.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:41 pm

ramdor wrote:
All above my pay grade Mark to decide what should or shouldn't be done. I haven't looked for (or at) the IARU spec on it so I can't say one way or another if you are right, but I will take your word for it.

My main worry is that if you were to makes the changes, and then put an anan up against a flex for example you'll have a case of S9 on the flex is S7 on the anan and people will incorrectly assume it is deaf or the Smeter is out. I can guarantee that it would result in loss of sales in the long term. Simon doesn't care in that regard, he just wants donations for dog food.

R.

Richie,

It's all good, sir! I never intended for you to fix anything about the Thetis meter, my post was only addressed to you for purposes of clarifying what an S-meter should (and shouldn't) be doing, in the event that you ever do decide to visit the code logic behind the Thetis meter. I should have also addressed it to Ernst to clarify why he's seeing Simon's meter behaving as it does.

I never would have mentioned the subject if it hadn't already been brought up, I was simply driven by my OCD to answer some questions that were being asked.

Thank you for all you do for us, Richie!

Mark
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:05 pm

All,

I have moved most of the power measurement posts to a new, dedicated topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3870

The discussion is good, valid and important, but it was threatening to completely take over Richie's topic here, and it had become worthy of it's own separate location.

Please continue the discussion on RF power measurement practices in the new topic.

Scott
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:48 pm

Thank you Scott, I was getting concerned about that myself.

Mark
N4QNT

Postby N4QNT » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:05 pm

Richie, Thank you for your time and effort for the additions and revisions with Thetis.. I would like to buy you, dinner sir. do you have a PayPay account I can send some funds to? Take care 73' Art :D

ramdor wrote:Hi all,

I thought I would create a thread for all changes/ideas/wants/wishes to reside. It makes it easier on the thread related to bugs/issues/problems. This top post can be updated with changes and update that are/will/should happen.

Cheers, Richie.

Currently being worked on
1)

On the TODO list (in no specific order)
1) panadaptor blobs become markers, and have management facility and features from spec analysers such as find -3dB either side of marker, next high to the right, next high to the left, delta dBm, etc
2) split up the receivers, starting with display engine, and then moving to the internals of the console (lots of work, probably weeks and weeks if not months)
3) redo all control panels to be movable, and move away from forced spread out structure of UI especially problematic on large displays
4) drop GDI+ support in display engine
5) json or some such output feed for things like streamdecks
6) Multi-meter 'a better meter'
7) Spot colours and improvements to the lines, perhaps with blobs etc, overhaul essentially
8) IF view much like SDR console
9) New modern VFO control + skin-able
10) Setup tidy up
11) OC options for AMP/PTT/TUN/2TON - need to find out if the PTT jack on the back can be controlled directly
12) Drive power link to TX profile option
13) Import notch data with merge database
[done_21f]14) CTRL-right click add a notch
15) Insert manual notch from autonotch data. Is this data available - need to investigate
16) timer start on first PTT, and align to interval
17) Path Illustrator - someone will have to take that on. Not for me guv.
18) Mute the VACs
19) New updated recording system
20) Wideband update
21) DRM filter extension - investigate
22) FM adjustable RX filters - investigate
23) Customisable stack grids, where filters can be applied to buttons
24) Limit tune to viewed spectral area
25) MON on/off for recording playback
[done_21f]26) Gain multiplier option for Diversity
27) dBm/s decay time for various things like peak blobs and active peak hold
28) 2TON midi commands
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:02 am

A minor suggested improvement to bandstack operation, I'm putting it here since it's not a bug or issue.

A common way of using the bandstack (at least for me it's the most common way) is to click on the number, bring up the window, choose a frequency, exit the window. I don't keep it up all the time because it takes up space or blocks something. I usually position the bandstack window right next to the bandstack buttons so this clicking sequence can be fast.

It would be nice if there was an option to have the bandstack window close immediately after selecting a frequency.

Alternatively (even better), you could have a right-click on the bandstack number bring it up in this single-choice mode (like a usual right-click menu in Windows).

By the way, right now, right clicking on the bandstack number brings up a menu of some kind that looks like an edit menu but makes no sense in this context.
Chris, W2PA
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:30 am

DH1KLM wrote:Just a visual extension. Some more characters can be displayed so the names of the transmit profiles are better readable
Thank you Sigi for mentioning this. I have many TX profiles, and the width of the drop-down listbox is too narrow to display enough characters to be able to tell them apart. I'm forced to abbreviate so aggressively that the meaning isn't clear. Yes, please increase the listbox width.

73, John W1JA
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:14 pm

Would be nice to have an option (in the setup) to control the VFO copy function. Currently only the frequency is copied (should stay as default). An option to copy also mode and filter would be great.

73 Ernst
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 am

Nothing for the short-list :roll:

A remote client. Maybe Thetis acting as a server.

73 Ernst
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:03 pm

I would love to see the implementation of an analog-type meter such as the one that is available in the Genesis SDR variant of PowerSDR. The user can supply his own JPG for the meter allowing for all kinds of customization. In the GSDR software you can use it with collapsed mode or expanded mode. Might be too much of a novelty to invest much time into it but it is very cool.

Rob W1AEX

"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:28 pm

W2PA wrote:A minor suggested improvement to bandstack operation, I'm putting it here since it's not a bug or issue.

A common way of using the bandstack (at least for me it's the most common way) is to click on the number, bring up the window, choose a frequency, exit the window. I don't keep it up all the time because it takes up space or blocks something. I usually position the bandstack window right next to the bandstack buttons so this clicking sequence can be fast.

It would be nice if there was an option to have the bandstack window close immediately after selecting a frequency.

Alternatively (even better), you could have a right-click on the bandstack number bring it up in this single-choice mode (like a usual right-click menu in Windows).

By the way, right now, right clicking on the bandstack number brings up a menu of some kind that looks like an edit menu but makes no sense in this context.

Hi Chris,

Yep all good ideas, I am about to implement an addition to the spectral area display which overlays the band stack entries as translucent coloured strips that can be clicked to select that entry, configurable of course. Yep can add that idea of hiding the window away etc no problem. There is still lots to do on the filter setup etc, but not had much time in the last 3 weeks or so to do much.

Yep, that edit window is because those small number boxes are txt edit boxes. I'll swap them to labels at some point. Same with Smeter, step size, bandtxt box, etc etc.

Cheers, Richie.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 pm

Richie,

Not sure how much work it would be to implement but I'd very much like to see the spectrum grid step increment made smaller. I use the spectrum edge scale grab-and-drag feature very frequently to fine-tune the waterfall intensity as band conditions change (I have the waterfall linked to Spectrum Min/Max in Settings) but the current +/- 5dB spectrum grid step is wider than is ideal for fine-tuning the waterfall intensity.

Thanks for all you do for us,

Mark

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (338.63 KiB) Viewed 10155 times

Return to “Thetis”