Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:52 pm

oe3ide wrote:A midi-command for swapping the midi-wheels would be great.

Reason: I am using the right wheel for vfo-a, cause I am right handed. On split operation (i.e. 5-15 up) it would be nice to tune the own tx-freq (which is vfo-b) with the right wheel.

Tnx 73 Ernst

Ernst,

Does command ID 700, "Toggle Wheel to VFOA/VFOB" not do what you want already?

Scott
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:00 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
oe3ide wrote:A midi-command for swapping the midi-wheels would be great.

Reason: I am using the right wheel for vfo-a, cause I am right handed. On split operation (i.e. 5-15 up) it would be nice to tune the own tx-freq (which is vfo-b) with the right wheel.

Tnx 73 Ernst

Ernst,

Does command ID 700, "Toggle Wheel to VFOA/VFOB" not do what you want already?

Scott

Unfortunatly not, Scott.
Richie looked already into the code... it was something special for a Behringer interface.
Has to be newly implemented into the midi commands.

73 Ernst
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:51 pm

Richie, would it be possible to make the PureSignal SetPk value persistent between sessions? I usually set it to .2916 but the next time I fire up Thetis it reverts back to .2899.

Thanks,
Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:07 pm

K1LSB wrote:Richie, would it be possible to make the PureSignal SetPk value persistent between sessions? I usually set it to .2916 but the next time I fire up Thetis it reverts back to .2899.

Thanks,
Mark

did you try rc5 release?

R.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:00 pm

ramdor wrote:did you try rc5 release?

R.

Richie,

On rc5 when a session is invoked the SetPk value does show to still be what I had set it to previously, but as soon as I push the Power button it reverts to 0.2899.

That's the behavior I'm seeing after rebooting my computer and 7000DLE multiple times.

Thanks,
Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:02 pm

K1LSB wrote:
ramdor wrote:did you try rc5 release?

R.

Richie,

On rc5 when a session is invoked the SetPk value does show to still be what I had set it to previously, but as soon as I push the Power button it reverts to 0.2899.

That's the behavior I'm seeing after rebooting my computer and 7000DLE multiple times.

Thanks,
Mark

you have a test version via a PM message. Give it a try.

Thanks, Richie.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:07 am

Richie,

Test version running good, thank you sir!

Mark
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:59 pm

Richie,

I know this would be way down on the list, but would it be possible to add a 10 minute timer with some sort of visual or audio que?
I do lot of ragchew and have a difficult time giving my ID every 10 minutes. I have had a life full of a really good feel for timing issues.
10 minutes eludes me. :roll: Thank you for all you time and hard work.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:11 pm

Ruben, will the timer already built in not work?

Screenshot 2022-03-13 170957.png
Screenshot 2022-03-13 170957.png (90.62 KiB) Viewed 6368 times
Gary NC3Z
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:03 pm

NC3Z wrote:Ruben, will the timer already built in not work?

Screenshot 2022-03-13 170957.png

Gary, Yes it could and I have already thought of that. The issue is that the QSO timer only runs during MOX.
There is a box labeled "Only during MOX". I thought if I were to remove the check mark it might start running on MOX. Then, keep running when not transmitting and reset at 10 minutes. If the "Only during MOX" is not selected, the timer doesn't run under any cond1ition.
This may be a bug or by design. I don't know. It seems the ability to select it or not is there for some reason.

So, maybe my request should have been to give this timer the ability to run and/or reset when NOT transmitting. (MOX).
Plus, keep running up after it automatically resets.
If this will already run when not transmitting I will write this up as another Post Covid DUH! moment.

Thanks for the response Gary!
Ruben
NB4R
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:42 pm

You probably want Reset On Expiry checked. And then every time you start Thetis you need to enable the Timer (lower right of the GUI, the stop watch, left click it to turn green).

A useful option would be a setting to make the timer start with Thetis, or maybe on the first PTT.
Gary NC3Z
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:49 pm

NC3Z wrote:
A useful option would be a setting to make the timer start with Thetis, or maybe on the first PTT.

My preference would be for the timer starting on first PTT.
Ruben
NB4R
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:39 am

turn 'only during mox' option OFF, and click the clock on the status bar to stop/start it. It will continue to run, timeout, and reset and run if you have reset on mox turned on.

R.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:50 pm

ramdor wrote:turn 'only during mox' option OFF, and click the clock on the status bar to stop/start it. It will continue to run, timeout, and reset and run if you have reset on mox turned on.

R.

There are a lot of options for the QSO timer, perhaps too many. FWIW, I recommend only turning on "Reset on expiry" and "Play sound on expiry". This limits the amount of obsessiveness required. Sit down at the radio, start the timer. If you start a QSO you start with an ID. The timer will expire in under 10 minutes from that time. ID then and then just match up with the timer after that. If you are not in a QSO it'll make a sound every 10 minutes which, if a nice, subtle sound is chosen, is not intrusive. What's the big deal?

I very much like and appreciate the timer. The only issues I've had with it is that I had to re-record a sound that I liked at a lower volume level (I used Audacity to do this) because there is no separate volume control for it, and accidentally leaving it on after leaving the radio. There's nothing like laying in bed at 0200 and hearing the timer expire way off in the distance :D
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:15 pm

Never used it myself, I coded it couple of years ago, could probably do with stripping out and re-doing. Just figured the folks wanted to know the additional way of getting it to run.

Richie.
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:47 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:...I used Audacity to do this) because there is no separate volume control for it, and accidentally leaving it on after leaving the radio. There's nothing like laying in bed at 0200 and hearing the timer expire way off in the distance :D

Scott,

Perhaps attach a copy of your edited .WAV file? Thanks!

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:50 pm

w9ac wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:...I used Audacity to do this) because there is no separate volume control for it, and accidentally leaving it on after leaving the radio. There's nothing like laying in bed at 0200 and hearing the timer expire way off in the distance :D

Scott,

Perhaps attach a copy of your edited .WAV file? Thanks!

Paul, W9AC
Attachments

gec_chime_soft.wav [ 549.7 KiB | Viewed 6194 times ]

Mike_N1JEZ

Postby Mike_N1JEZ » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:59 pm

Ah, the old NBC chime (which is actually the notes G E C for General Electric Corporation).

Mike
Mike, N1JEZ
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:32 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
ramdor wrote:turn 'only during mox' option OFF, and click the clock on the status bar to stop/start it. It will continue to run, timeout, and reset and run if you have reset on mox turned on.

R.

There are a lot of options for the QSO timer, perhaps too many. FWIW, I recommend only turning on "Reset on expiry" and "Play sound on expiry". This limits the amount of obsessiveness required. Sit down at the radio, start the timer. If you start a QSO you start with an ID. The timer will expire in under 10 minutes from that time. ID then and then just match up with the timer after that. If you are not in a QSO it'll make a sound every 10 minutes which, if a nice, subtle sound is chosen, is not intrusive. What's the big deal?

I very much like and appreciate the timer. The only issues I've had with it is that I had to re-record a sound that I liked at a lower volume level (I used Audacity to do this) because there is no separate volume control for it, and accidentally leaving it on after leaving the radio. There's nothing like laying in bed at 0200 and hearing the timer expire way off in the distance :D

Yep, clicking on the status bar works great! I've tried several things, but never thought of clicking the timer on the status bar.
Thanks Richie! Thanks Scott!
Ruben
NB4R
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:29 pm

Taking the QSO timer a step further, consider a menu check-box that automatically activates MOX in either SSB, FM, or AM modes. Inhibit in DIG modes. Set MOX time between 1-5 seconds based on the duration of the .WAV file to play.

For roundtable SSB discussions, imagine a unique courtesy tone (or NBC chimes) that automatically transmits to remind everyone in the group it's time to ID. This is similar to some FM repeaters where there's a broadcasted CW identifier every 10 minutes, alerting ops to also ID after the repeater identifies. In the case of chimes, an argument can be made that they're tones and not broadcasted music.

Of course, the .WAV file must be injected into the mic audio system through one of many methods.

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:53 pm

It should be enough to remind the operator to ID. You don't want a timer just throwing out ID transmissions randomly, probably over the top of someone else's transmission.

It's amazing how lazy people want to be when it comes to the relatively trivial responsibility of properly ID'ing.

At the end of the day, it's really only an issue for ragchew, because contest and DX/award type contacts don't last 10 minutes.

If you are worried about breaking into a ragchew to ID, set the timer for 9 minutes. Or get everyone in the ragchew ID'ing on the same cycle. Many ragchews or nets will align to the 10 minute epochs of the hours. Makes it easy, nobody forgets because someone will remember.
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:43 pm

Here's another idea and wish for the list:

Can we present our ideas here without retribution through dismissive responses? I would hate to see us cast votes this way. Can we allow the software developer(s) to have enough insight to either add or ignore an idea after consideration?

It's a shame that these forums don't have a "thumbs up/down" button. That way ideas are polled by looking at the up/down count. The number of responses would also help developers to prioritize the feature requests. Absent such a system, perhaps there's another way to accomplish something similar.

Paul, W9AC
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:18 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:It should be enough to remind the operator to ID. You don't want a timer just throwing out ID transmissions randomly, probably over the top of someone else's transmission.

It's amazing how lazy people want to be when it comes to the relatively trivial responsibility of properly ID'ing.

At the end of the day, it's really only an issue for ragchew, because contest and DX/award type contacts don't last 10 minutes.

If you are worried about breaking into a ragchew to ID, set the timer for 9 minutes. Or get everyone in the ragchew ID'ing on the same cycle. Many ragchews or nets will align to the 10 minute epochs of the hours. Makes it easy, nobody forgets because someone will remember.

I listen much more than I talk. Lately though, I have begun to talk more. It may be the reason I want a timer. When I get use to
the ten minute timing I will probably loose the timer.

I do hear in many ragchew sessions folks that use code for their ID's. They have them set on a timer and they broadcast right on
top of whoever is speaking at the time. However, it does que everyone else to ID. Right over the top of whoever is speaking at the time. Nobody seems to mind.
Ruben
NB4R
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:44 pm

w9ac wrote:Here's another idea and wish for the list:

Can we present our ideas here without retribution through dismissive responses? I would hate to see us cast votes this way. Can we allow the software developer(s) to have enough insight to either add or ignore an idea after consideration?

It's a shame that these forums don't have a "thumbs up/down" button. That way ideas are polled by looking at the up/down count. The number of responses would also help developers to prioritize the feature requests. Absent such a system, perhaps there's another way to accomplish something similar.

Paul, W9AC

Paul,

That's a noble idea, but personally I'm not a fan of voting on ideas. The Flex community was really big on that concept, even to the point of voting on what bugs should be fixed. I actually reported a quite simple bug to the Flex Help Desk, explained to them how to easily replicate the errant behavior (they even thanked me for being so thorough), and told them how to easily fix it (I'm a programmer myself) and was told in reply that they decided that the bug wasn't going to be fixed because there hadn't been anyone else report it!

It was at that moment that I decided to get as far away from Flex as I could! I sold my Flex ASAP, and resolved that the Flex name will never darken the door of my shack again.

If anyone doubts me, I still have the email thread between Flex Help Desk and myself.

Mark
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:31 pm

My post wasn't meant to start a debate in this forum. I'm simply asking that we demonstrate courtesy toward others when responding to someone's idea. Healthy discissions are different from inflammatory remarks that serve to dismiss an opposing point of view. I've nothing more to add. Thanks to all.

Paul, W9AC
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:43 pm

Paul,

Not sure what you're referring to, I've not seen any discourteous or retributive posts in any recent threads.

Mark
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:59 pm

So as to hopefully end this particular thread drift, I think Paul is unhappy with my response to his ideas expressed above. I think he would prefer a more "brainstorming" type of approach where "no idea is bad". Not everyone may feel the same way ;)

With no less than 57 separately enumerated ideas that Richie is currently tracking in post #1 of this topic, I suspect that unless an idea is a really spectacular one, it's probably going onto a very, very back burner at this point, anyway.

Also, future ideas should probably be checked against that list of 57 items in order to ensure they are truly new and thus avoid duplicates.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:25 am

I am not trying to take anything away from the hard work and dev of people involved in the ongoing build of Thetis, with all the "things" now being added to Thetis, a lot which I don't intend to use, or monitor, its getting crowed (IMHO) and would like to see Thetis installation file become modularized so to speak at first install. Get to tick what I want included and not included. Like removing bloatware from Windows installations.

As an end user, I get the option to choose if I want all the CFC/Audio monitoring graphs running in the Setup, NIMM stuff, spotting etc, it looks cool on spectrum but I have a logbook to do that.

Another idea if possible, and this is a real PITA for me, when doing a fresh install of Thetis and creating a "new" database, I like to set my RX1 values (Waterfall - low and high level) (spectrum grid - Max and Min) in Display to the same value for all bands. It would be nice to have an option to apply the values once for all bands rather than do it one by one. In addtion to this, setting the Drive level, ATT and Zoom the same way. It would save a lot of time, for me anyway. :)
73, Phil - VK1HX
I4LEC

Postby I4LEC » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:21 pm

Inspired by the latest K4 Firmware implementation, on which additional bandwidth filters have been put in front of Noise Blanker, three settings, narrow (1kHz), wide (5kHz), OFF, (24kHz).

NB on Thetis works very well, unfortunately, when a loud signal is nearby or just within the chosen IF2, it becomes almost useless as it starts to pump up the NB threshold, introducing distortion on the received signal.

For all suffering from power line pulse noise, this will be of great help, might be intriguing for the developer as well? This platform has far more features than any other one, this could be the cherry on the cake.
73, Clay
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:40 pm

Clay,

I think what you want is already there, which is the spectral noise blanker (SNB). This works only within the passband. Please watch the first video to be found at this link: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4018

Also, you may wish to try different NB2 modes. The default mode is "zero", but "linear interpolate" often works better. Find that setting in Setup > DSP > NB/SNB > NB2 MODE.

Scott

Return to “Thetis”