The Warning Leds

ramdor

The Warning Leds

Postby ramdor » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been covered, but I just wanted to talk about the warning LEDs that show from time to time on the top left of the display area.

warningLEDS.jpg
warningLEDS.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

RED

If you see the RED led you need to reduce your frame rate. The odd blink from time to time is ok, but if it is showing for prolonged periods then you really need to reduce your frame rate.

It signifies the fact that the frame of the display area was not rendered in time. You are not gaining anything if you see the red led stuck on all the time. The width of the spectral area is the main contributing factor to delay.

I would advise ticking the checkbox in setup to show the RED spectral warning LED and not to hide it away. It will let you know if you need to think about reducing frame rate.

YELLOW

This is a new addition from 2.8.11 21a. Each graphics frame a call is made to the internal analyser which presents the spectral dBm data for that display frame. Ideally an analysed set of data should be ready every graphics frame. The analyser is provided with the frame rate you specify which it uses to define how many samples to use from the previous fft. It allows display frame rate to be independent of sample rate.

The yellow led is shown if the analyser has not managed to produce this by the time the display frame needs to be shown. The graphics engine will display a frame anyway, but it will be the old frame prior to the yellow LED.

The main reason I added this was because I was noticing cycling stutter in the waterfall/spectral area where every so often things would seemingly 'slow down'.

I have not had a chance to investigate further, but it is something to consider. You can leave this unchecked in setup unless you are interested in the behaviour.

Cheers,

Richie.
W3MMR

Re: The Warning Leds

Postby W3MMR » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:15 am

Ive noticed the same thing about the waterfall and panadapter seemingly "slowing down" at times, for quite some time.

Thanks Richie

Perry
I2NOY

Re: The Warning Leds

Postby I2NOY » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:15 am

I enabled both squares.
With my HP notebook with Ryzen 5 5600U cpu I note sometimes a flickering for half a second of red and yellow ones.
Most of the time they are not on display.
I use Direct-X rendering with high priority.

Return to “Thetis”