Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

ramdor

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - current issues

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:14 pm

DL2XY wrote:Just some Bugs:

Thetis v2.8.11 21d6b,ANAN100, WIN7 X64
  • PSform Button Advance: Black Text on black background.
  • Setupform/Display/RX2: Band indication is fixed on random Band.
    Settings are applied global to all bands.
  • Console:
    Command line option "-datapath:" is broken. If used target path is ignored but "C:\" is used instead.
    This leads to database corruption if multiple instances are installed.

Thanks for those Walter.

• the PSForm button. Advanced? not seeing black background here, checked the code, no colour change being made to btnPSAdvanced
  • the disp->rx2 has been changed/reworked
  • surely if you run mutliple instances and point it all to the same datapath, be it C:\ , D:\foo\ or as default C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis then issues could occur at DB write time (last one shut down will be the one you keep). If you want multiple instances like that you'll need to use/also use -dbfilename. I could create a lockfile and check it etc at start up etc I guess, with option to clear it etc if there

Re. the VAC stuff above. Can you put a solution in place into the last tapr 2_8_11 source to calculate those values at runtime?

Cheers, R.
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:10 pm

[quote="DL2XY"]Just some Bugs:

[list]
[*]PSform Button Advance: Black Text on black background.

Hi Walter and Ritchie ,

PS Form Button "Advance is also Ok here, Black Text on White Ground. (d6b)

PS works again without Probs. May be my Database with d6 was corrupted. Auto-ATT works perfekt agiain.

ATT /S-Att on RX1 works perfekt, on RX 2 still higher Spectrum and S-Meter when I use the Att on RX2,

Bandstack works very good here, returning to specific entry, centers this in the Spectrum before (when i save it) it was more left or right.

Good work, thanks Ritchie

73 Erwin
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:53 pm

DO2ZA Erwin wrote:ATT /S-Att on RX1 works perfekt, on RX 2 still higher Spectrum and S-Meter when I use the Att on RX2
73 Erwin

Yes, there is a big problem in there, and always has been. I tried to resolve it last week, but gave up on the idea after the number of issues it caused. I may look at it again at some point.

Just a hard fact based on the code, RX1 attenuator controls always attenuate ADC0. RX2 attenuator controls always attenuate ADC1

If you configure your DDC / ADC assignment as follows, there will be issues :

• If you use ADC0 for both RX1 and RX2 (ddc2 + ddc3 with ps/div off) then RX2 will be off as it will always attenuate ADC1. The result of this is that if you use RX2 attenuate, everything will move up the display in the RX2 area, because the display shift is being made but not the attenuate to ADC0 which is what you are looking at.
  • If you use ADC1 for both RX1 and RX2 (ddc2 + ddc3 with ps/div off) then RX1 will be off as it will always attenuate ADC0. The result of this is that if you use RX1 attenuate, everything will move up the display in the RX1 area, because the display shift is being made but not the attenuate to ADC1 which is what you are looking at.
  • If you use ADC1 for RX1 and ADC0 for RX2 (ddc2 + ddc3 with ps/div off) both RX1 and RX2 will be out, as they will each attenuate the incorrect ADC. Nothing will be right for either RX.

Remember, the display will essentially shift everything up by 10dB if you attenuate by 10dB.

EDIT: you can get around this issue if you are strategic in what you do. As an example, DDC2+3 both set to ADC0. We attenuate 10dB using RX1 attenuator control, this correctly attenuates ADC0, and correctly changes RX1 display. However, RX2 does not know about the +ve offset that is needed, so you just set RX2 to 10dB as well, which will update ADC1 attenuator (but this goes no where), so everything looks right. All this can happen in code of course, but the radiomodel/protocol/ps/diversity all have a say in what DDCs are in use at any one time.

R.
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi Ritchie,

yes, you are right, thats a Problem. I use both RX on ADC 0 (DDC 2 and 3).
For now I use the Trick and give both RX 10 dB ATT. :)
Thanks for that Tip.

73 Erwin
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:58 pm

ramdor wrote:
DO2ZA Erwin wrote:ATT /S-Att on RX1 works perfekt, on RX 2 still higher Spectrum and S-Meter when I use the Att on RX2
73 Erwin

Yes, there is a big problem in there, and always has been. I tried to resolve it last week, but gave up on the idea after the number of issues it caused. I may look at it again at some point.

Thanks for trying, Ritchie. You put in a ton of effort on it. It's most unfortunate that the code spaghetti factor was just to great for this one :(

Cheers!

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:27 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Thanks for trying, Ritchie. You put in a ton of effort on it. It's most unfortunate that the code spaghetti factor was just to great for this one :(

Cheers!

Scott

I am sure we can get it resolved Scott, but with everything changing at once in 21d, band changes and the stacking system it was a bit much to have going at the same time. It was becoming a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees, something had to go.

First stage I think, will be to add a 'visualiser' to the DDC tab, that will show RX1 RX2 PS Diversity and Sync DDC's in use, for both P1/P2 and the various models. Warren has given me some fantastic ddc/adc info from his spreadsheets that he keeps all the wdsp/cmaster/hardware routing. Adding that visualiser will help, and can be easily checked.

Also, the wishes/wants/additions thread has some great ideas in there and I will have to update the top post with everything so far. I also hope that Walter is able to find some time to work a solution for the details regarding the VAC sync stuff he found a couple of posts above.

R.
W9BHI

Postby W9BHI » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:13 pm

Richie,
7000DLE, P2, v21d6b 64 bit running here.
No problems so far.
Thanks for all your perseverance.
Don W9BHI
DL2XY

Postby DL2XY » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:30 pm

ramdor wrote:
DL2XY wrote:Just some Bugs:

• PSform Button Advance: Black Text on black background.
  • Setupform/Display/RX2: Band indication is fixed on random Band.
    Settings are applied global to all bands.
  • Console:
    Command line option "-datapath:" is broken. If used target path is ignored but "C:\" is used instead.
    This leads to database corruption if multiple instances are installed.

Thanks for those Walter.

• the PSForm button. Advanced? not seeing black background here, checked the code, no colour change being made to btnPSAdvanced
  • the disp->rx2 has been changed/reworked
  • surely if you run mutliple instances and point it all to the same datapath, be it C:\ , D:\foo\ or as default C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis then issues could occur at DB write time (last one shut down will be the one you keep). If you want multiple instances like that you'll need to use/also use -dbfilename. I could create a lockfile and check it etc at start up etc I guess, with option to clear it etc if there

Re. the VAC stuff above. Can you put a solution in place into the last tapr 2_8_11 source to calculate those values at runtime?

Cheers, R.

Thanks for response.

I found out it depends on Desktop Theme, I am using "Windows Classic" .
Please check PSForm "Advanced" Button in Form Designer. Property BackColor is set to "Web /Black", it should be " System/Control".
This bug exist since 2.8.11 release.

I do have distinct directories the datapath options are pointing to. But all instances are using "C:\".
This is not only for database.xml but for all files usually in datapath (ImportLog.txt, ke9ns8.dat, wdspWisdom00, SWL.csv, andromedadata.xml, CCALLib8WS.log).

I have got another one for you: Open WB and expand it's width to more than about 4300 pixel (you may need multiple monitors ;) ) - Thetis crashes completely.

greets Walter
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:44 pm

DL2XY wrote:
Thanks for response.

Please check PSForm "Advanced" Button in Form Designer. Property BackColor is set to "Web /Black", it should be " System/Control".

I do have distinct directories the datapath options are pointing to. But all instances are using "C:\".
This is not only for database.xml but for all files usually in datapath (ImportLog.txt, ke9ns8.dat, wdspWisdom00, SWL.csv, andromedadata.xml, CCALLib8WS.log).

I have got another one for you: Open WB and expand it's width to more than about 4300 pixel (you may need multiple monitors ;) ) - Thetis crashes completely.

greets Walter

button reset to defaults. Strange it was the only one there like that.

The datapath issue. Other than adding command line options for each of the different datafiles we dump into the datapath folder not much we can do. If you use the same datapath for more than one instance, there will be issues. Unless we add a lock file to that path and check its exitance there is no clean way to do that really, unless you want something that adds 1 or 2 or N depending how many instances are running, or some sort of instance ID on the command line, which is no different to providing a different datapath for each instance. Not sure I am understanding the issue tbh,

Yep, 4096 or around there is buffer size on that WB display probably.

R.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:58 pm

I just created another shortcut, edit it to include -datapath:c:\moo ... the 'moo' folder created on the root of C, the fft calcs are running. The folder has andtromedadata.xml and database.xml in there so far, nothing on the root of C

R.
DL2XY

Postby DL2XY » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:13 pm

ramdor wrote:
DL2XY wrote:
Thanks for response.

greets Walter

button reset to defaults. Strange it was the only one there like that.

The datapath issue. Other than adding command line options for each of the different datafiles we dump into the datapath folder not much we can do. If you use the same datapath for more than one instance, there will be issues. Unless we add a lock file to that path and check its exitance there is no clean way to do that really, unless you want something that adds 1 or 2 or N depending how many instances are running, or some sort of instance ID on the command line, which is no different to providing a different datapath for each instance. Not sure I am understanding the issue tbh,

Yep, 4096 or around there is buffer size on that WB display probably.

R.

Sorry, i was unprecise.
I do not have several instances of the same installation running the same time but several installations (versions), all pointing to their own unique datapath, running only one at a time.

There must be a problem with "-datapath:" evaluation at start time (console.cs line 744 in 2.8.11 release).
The path normaly is stored in global var "AppDataPath".
For some reason this string must get empty rendering the path to be "\".

73 Walter
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:24 pm

What is your command line ? If you want to use a folder that has spaces in it you will need to surround the argument in "" otherwise it will be split into two arguments, and c:\moo will be created.

For example:

"C:\Program Files\OpenHPSDR\Thetis\Thetis.exe" "-datapath:c:\moo moo"

notice that the -datapath argument is surrounded in ""

Please send me your command line argument(s), better still, a screenshot of your shortcut.

R.
DL2XY

Postby DL2XY » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:32 pm

ramdor wrote:Please send me your command line argument(s), better still, a screenshot of your shortcut.
R.

"C:\Program Files\OpenHPSDR\Thetis - Richi - 21d\Thetis.exe" -datapath: "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis21d"

Edit:
Got it. There must not be a delimiter behind "-datapath:" :?

"C:\Program Files\OpenHPSDR\Thetis - Richi - 21d\Thetis.exe" -datapath:"C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis21d" works.

I am spoiled by linux....

sorry walter
Last edited by DL2XY on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:47 pm

The format either needs to be :

-datapath:C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis21d

no space between : and C

or if you have spaces in the path then

"-datapath:C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis21d\My Folder"

There does needs to be some sanity check for an empty datapath, because that is what you are supplying due to the fact you have a space between : and C.

Edit: your post above works, because the space gets stripped, but ideally it wouldnt be there

R.
DL2XY

Postby DL2XY » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:01 am

Yes, you are right.

Sorry, but it's very confusing to use a linux style command option without a delimiter to its argument.
Now i can remember i did this before years ago... :oops:
DL2XY

Postby DL2XY » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:36 am

Just a cosmetic one.

Space.png
Space.png (149.01 KiB) Viewed 7761 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:57 am

There is a problem starting to surface with the status bar. So much stuff has been put there, from antenna selections to andromeda warnings, the designer can no longer arrange it nicely automatically for some reason. Time to get the prodding stick out ;)

R.
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:45 am

New bug detected:

When clicking on FM, AM, SAM, DIGL or DIGU, VAC1 is automatically turned off. All other modes working fine.
New call sign EA3CL
DL2XY

Postby DL2XY » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:41 am

ea3aqr wrote:New bug detected:

When clicking on FM, AM, SAM, DIGL or DIGU, VAC1 is automatically turned off. All other modes working fine.

Switching modes implies automatic switching to TX-profile last used in new mode. Is VAC enabled in these profiles?

73 Walter
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:19 pm

DL2XY wrote:
2) VAC resampler initialisation issues (Scott)

The phase margin of the FLL control loop is supercritical, depending on buffersize and samplerate setting.
I had to adjust the proportional gain and slew rate in source.

The patch below give me stable conditions for my setting (48ksmp,10ms,512bytes).
This involves a slightly higher settling time (about 1 to 2 Min) but is perfect stable after one 10% overshoot.

For a perfect solution these values would have to be calculated at runtime according to setting.

73 Walter

file: wdsp/rmatch.c Line 501
void* create_rmatchV(int in_size, int out_size, int nom_inrate, int nom_outrate, int ringsize)
{
return (void*)create_rmatch (
1, // run
0, // input buffer, stuffed in other calls
0, // output buffer, stuffed in other calls
in_size, // input buffer size (complex samples)
out_size, // output buffer size (complex samples)
nom_inrate, // nominal input sample-rate
nom_outrate, // nominal output sample-rate
0.0, // fc_high (0.0 -> automatic)
-1.0, // fc_low (-1.0 -> no low cutoff)
1.0, // gain
3.0, // startup delay (seconds)
1, // automatic ring-size [not implemented yet]
ringsize, // ringsize
1024, // R, coefficient density
1.0, // initial variable ratio
4096, // feed-forward moving average min size
262144, // feed-forward moving average max size - POWER OF TWO!
0.01, // feed-forward exponential smoothing
4096, // proportional feedback min moving av ringsize
16384, // proportional feedback max moving av ringsize - POWER OF TWO!
1.0e-06, // (4e-6) // proportional feedback gain
1, // linearly interpolate cvar by sample
0.001 // (0.003) // slew time (seconds)
);
}

Walter,

This is really outstanding work! Is the algorithm or calculation to determine phase margin at startup known? I.e., would it be difficult to add that into the changes you've tested? And does that algorithm only depend on sample rate, buffer size and buffer latency, or does it also need to account for the portaudio latency setting?

Thanks!

Scott
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm

DL2XY wrote:
ea3aqr wrote:New bug detected:

Switching modes implies automatic switching to TX-profile last used in new mode. Is VAC enabled in these profiles?

73 Walter

Walter, the problem was related to TX profile... when clicking on those modes it was switching to Thetis's "default" TX profile and VAC1 was deactivated there.
Selecting the correct TX profile for the failing modes, and saving it, solved my issue.

Thanks for your tip!
New call sign EA3CL
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Added an option to highlight everything everywhere that is included in a TX profile. Figured it might be of use, at least so we can work out if too much/too little is being stored against them.

There may be a 21e version out at the end of the weekend which has a couple of features and fixes.

Richie.

prf_highlight.jpg
prf_highlight.jpg (297.02 KiB) Viewed 7607 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:46 pm

ramdor wrote:First stage I think, will be to add a 'visualiser' to the DDC tab, that will show RX1 RX2 PS Diversity and Sync DDC's in use, for both P1/P2 and the various models. Warren has given me some fantastic ddc/adc info from his spreadsheets that he keeps all the wdsp/cmaster/hardware routing. Adding that visualiser will help, and can be easily checked.

Richie: this is a brilliant idea. it will arguably provide 80% of what the Path Illustrator is supposed to do with a lot less code.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:54 pm

ramdor wrote:Added an option to highlight everything everywhere that is included in a TX profile. Figured it might be of use, at least so we can work out if too much/too little is being stored against them.

There may be a 21e version out at the end of the weekend which has a couple of features and fixes.

Richie.

Now that is very interesting. WIth the updates and features you have offered recently has had me learning things I wasn't aware of. Some things I thought I knew how functioned , but discovered I had it all wrong. Other things I didn't even have a clue. I believe when I see this feature I'm going to discover a little of both. That is what I love about this hobby and specifically the Apache Anan/ Thetis combinination.

I think I am aware of everything in setup that relates to the Transmit Profile. I guess I'll find out.

Thank you Richie.

Cheers
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:15 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Richie: this is a brilliant idea. it will arguably provide 80% of what the Path Illustrator is supposed to do with a lot less code.

Well, it is not that grand really Scott. Just lets you know which of the DDC's are being used for RX1/2, in the various modes of operation, such as RX only or RX with diversity, and all the various combinations of mox/ps/div2 etc. It is handy to see what is going on.

R.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:15 am

21e update released

Just a couple of fixes. Also, MNF support for transverters. Some changes to the hotkeys for MNF. See notes.

Cheers, Richie.

21e
fix: status bar item widths now forced in code as designer was not setting widths correctly
fix: background colour fix for Advanced button in PS form
add: band edges added for 1/2/3 region if you have those selected and extended turned off
add: ignore dupes option for bandstack filter added. If the frequency is already in the list, the slot you are leaving will not be updated at all
add: RX assignments shown on ADC setup page. This is changed by being in different states, such as MOX/Diversity/PS
add: Manual notch support for transverters. Notches limited by xvter coverage
add: option to highlight anything that is stored as part of a TX profile
change: active band display for RX2 grid min/max in setup changed to handle all bands
change: change to the way bands are obtained from frequency for vfob/rx2
change: Use CTRL right click to add notch 200Hz wide. CTRL+SHIFT right click 100Hz wide. Changed from middle mouse when in crosshair mode. Still use middle to enabled/disable or shift middle to quick delete. Right mouse over a highlighted notch will show menu
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:47 am

Thanks Richie,

works fine here!

one small cosmetic (not new in 21e):

Can you pls remove the text-label in the buttons.
Currently the skin-png's for these buttons must have a quite large symbol on it, to cover the text < V >
Image 14.jpg
Image 14.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 7967 times

73 Ernst
DL2XY

Postby DL2XY » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:29 am

ramdor wrote:21e update released

Just a couple of fixes. Also, MNF support for transverters. Some changes to the hotkeys for MNF. See notes.

Cheers, Richie.

21e
fix: status bar item widths now forced in code as designer was not setting widths correctly check
fix: background colour fix for Advanced button in PS form check
add: band edges added for 1/2/3 region if you have those selected and extended turned off
add: ignore dupes option for bandstack filter added. If the frequency is already in the list, the slot you are leaving will not be updated at all check
add: RX assignments shown on ADC setup page. This is changed by being in different states, such as MOX/Diversity/PS check
add: Manual notch support for transverters. Notches limited by xvter coverage check
add: option to highlight anything that is stored as part of a TX profile check
change: active band display for RX2 grid min/max in setup changed to handle all bands check
change: change to the way bands are obtained from frequency for vfob/rx2 check
change: Use CTRL right click to add notch 200Hz wide. CTRL+SHIFT right click 100Hz wide. Changed from middle mouse when in crosshair mode. Still use middle to enabled/disable or shift middle to quick delete. Right mouse over a highlighted notch will show menu check

Thetis 2.8.11 21e, ANAN100, WIN7 x64

Nice work Richie!

73 Walter
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:36 am

Just noticed this bug. I tried to transmit on 14.308,8 and get this msg (I get this msg on all ham bands)

bug_21e_1.jpg
bug_21e_1.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 7939 times

bug_21e_2.jpg
bug_21e_2.jpg (175.32 KiB) Viewed 7939 times

73 Ernst
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:27 pm

Minor bandstack bug in 21e (don't know if it existed earlier).

Start with bandstack having 5 entries.
Click the band button (for the band you're already on) until you arrive at entry #5.
Click on bandstack number (in main console) to bring up bandstack window.
Click on entry #4 (or any one other than #5)

Result>> the VFO shifs appropriately to the entry #4 frequency but the bandstack number in the main console remains indicating 5. It corrects itself the next time you click the band button.

I didn't try other variations but this sequence is repeatable for me.
Chris, W2PA

Return to “Thetis”