Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

va3cxp

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - current issues

Postby va3cxp » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:57 am

vk1hx wrote:...Scott...

Phil - VK1HX

P.S. do you have a position/explanation/idea on my issue with powering Thetis 21f off then back on and it closing?

Phil, I've noticed this as well, and it started with earlier 21 releases.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:12 am

va3cxp wrote:
vk1hx wrote:...Scott...

Phil, I've noticed this as well, and it started with earlier 21 releases.

Thanks Chris for the feedback. Good to see it's not specific to my setup. I'd say the "Techs" are all over it. :D

73' Phil - VK1HX
73, Phil - VK1HX
I4LEC

Postby I4LEC » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:50 am

Just to confirm the same odd behavior of the START/STOP button, running 21f, P1 on Hermes board

73, Clay
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:08 am

Some further testing done today. It seems to be isolated to running Protocol 1 (P1) firmware.

I was testing some new Protocol 2 firmware today and Thetis didn't shut down on powering on again. I reloaded the P1 firmware is the issue is back. Hopefully this information offers some areas to look at in the Thetis 2.8.11 (21 series) application.

Cheers

Phil - VK1HX
73, Phil - VK1HX
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:43 am

vk1hx wrote:Some further testing done today. It seems to be isolated to running Protocol 1 (P1) firmware.

I was testing some new Protocol 2 firmware today and Thetis didn't shut down on powering on again. I reloaded the P1 firmware is the issue is back. Hopefully this information offers some areas to look at in the Thetis 2.8.11 (21 series) application.

Cheers

Phil - VK1HX

thanks all. I have a feeling I will have to put P1 back on the 7000 here to debug it, unless it is something obvious ..... agghhhhh :D

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:15 am

just a follow up on the P1 power down crash. Does it all just vanish? or is there a crash message box that pops up?

Also, could you check to see if ErrorLox.txt file exists in C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis-x64 or \Thetis
and if so, attach to a message or include the very end of it after a crash/shutdown

Cheers

Richie.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:30 pm

ramdor wrote:just a follow up on the P1 power down crash. Does it all just vanish? or is there a crash message box that pops up?

Also, could you check to see if ErrorLox.txt file exists in C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis-x64 or \Thetis
and if so, attach to a message or include the very end of it after a crash/shutdown

Cheers

Richie.

Hi Richie,

Thetis just closes, it pauses for a second then closes. There is no error log file either. I check for this and noted it in my earlier post.
73, Phil - VK1HX
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:39 pm

vk1hx wrote:
ramdor wrote:just a follow up on the P1 power down crash. Does it all just vanish? or is there a crash message box that pops up?

Cheers

Richie.

Hi Richie,

Thetis just closes, it pauses for a second then closes. There is no error log file either. I check for this and noted it in my earlier post.

very odd, and it arrived with 21a? I will have to diff that and find out what happened. Failing that P1 install :cry:

R.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:50 pm

I think someone else reported that it was detected in an earlier 21 versions.

At least it closes when powered off. shouldn't corrupt the DB. :)

Phil - VK1HX
73, Phil - VK1HX
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Folks, have a look at the attached desktop screen running Thetis 21f. Notice that the background of the 2-TON button changed from white-on-back to yellow-on-light gray. This occurs only after clicking the 2-TON button to establish PureSignal optimization. It's fine when the program starts.

I do have some custom display color settings, but that's the only button I've noticed that changes to a light gray background and doesn't change back. Thetis' video driver is Direct X. I use a four-port Radeon RX560 Graphics card connected to three Dell 1080p monitors with a DisplayPort connection. Ideas?

Paul, W9AC
Attachments
Thetis Screen-W9AC.jpg
Thetis Screen-W9AC.jpg (476.88 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi,

no problems with the 2tone-Button here.
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Pls check your skin folder if chk2TONE-0.png and chk2TONE-1.png are present.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:03 pm

DH1KLM wrote:Pls check your skin folder if chk2TONE-0.png and chk2TONE-1.png are present.

Both files are missing. Is there a means to get just those two files? The problem persists no matter which skin I use.

Paul, W9AC
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:19 pm

There are some infos about these buttons on the top of this thread. Anyway just copy chkMOX-0.png to chk2TONE-0.png and chkMOX-1.png to chk2TONE-1.png and all is good :-)

Alternatively, you can also use one of my skins.
https://www.oe3ide.com/wp/thetis-skin/

73 Ernst
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:46 pm

oe3ide wrote:There are some infos about these buttons on the top of this thread. Anyway just copy chkMOX-0.png to chk2TONE-0.png and chkMOX-1.png to chk2TONE-1.png and all is good :-)

Alternatively, you can also use one of my skins.
https://www.oe3ide.com/wp/thetis-skin/

73 Ernst

Ernst,

Many thanks. I'll give it a try.

Paul, W9AC
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:49 pm

DH1KLM wrote:I made 2Tone buttons for the following skins. IK3VIG Special, OpenHPSDR-Gray, W1AEX Dark Metal, W1AEX High Visual.
They can be downloaded as a zip file from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eELS_GHAhLcrzX5SDQjnXr6NGUUarIl7/view?usp=sharing

You only have to copy the contained button pics into the corresponding skin directory.

Usually at C: \Users\ yourusername\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Skins.

I hope to be able to help someone with this.

Thanks Sigi, I've been looking for this. :)

73' Phil - VK1HX
73, Phil - VK1HX
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:10 am

Just a quick note that you can download fully updated button packs for all of my skins at the link below. Scroll down near the bottom of the page and you will see the button packs displayed. All the recently added buttons to control the new features Richie has added to the GUI are in the zipped archive packs. With Thetis NOT running, just unzip the pack you need into the Console folder of the skin(s) needing the updates.

73, Rob W1AEX

http://www.w1aex.com/hpsdr/hpsdr.html
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:51 am

Thanks Rob for your reply. I did see your post as well.

Cheers mate.

Phil - VK1HX
73, Phil - VK1HX
rwfish

Postby rwfish » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:34 pm

I decided to use an external keyer temporarily to get around the no-sidetone while using VAC issue. When I get the case properly grounded and the balanced audio lines decoupled I will return to the on-board keyer and sidetone.

However, when I made the switch, even though the external keyer sidetone was indicating legit cw, the 7000DLE was transmitting constant dits.
I was a bit baffled until I was thinking about how my paddles were wired backwards (Murphy lives here), and I had to use the very convenient reverse paddles check box to make them work. Then I thought, I wonder if the reverse paddles button changes where Thetis looks for the keying signal in non-iambic mode.

Sure enough, when you check the reverse paddles box in non-iambic mode, Thetis looks for the keying signal on the ring and not the tip of the jack. Why it puts solid dits on the tip I don't know. But unchecking the reverse paddles box resulted in normal operation.

I think this might be a bug. Maybe reverse paddles should only be active in iambic (internal keyer) mode. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything in the archives.

Bob K6GGO
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:49 pm

Bob,

I think this may be a feature rather than a bug.

To use a straight key with Thetis, or to use an external keyer as you are doing, you need to uncheck "Iambic". When you do this, the "dit" contact on the paddle becomes the straight key. I presume (I don't know for sure since I haven't tried to trace it) this means that the dit contact is connected to the tip of the key plug, as would be the case for a straight key with a mono plug. This is how my 8000DLE works and is explained it its manual. (If your paddle is wired the other way around, just switch dit/dah in the above.)

However, this means that if you plug in a mono (non stereo) plug as would be the case for a straight key or the output of an external keyer, you'll end up shorting the ring contact to ground inside the radio's stereo jack since the shaft of the plug is in contact with both. You can purchase a phone plug which has an insulator where the ring would be, so this won't happen. I use one with my external keyer for this reason.

Anyway, it sounds like you've found the right configuration.
Chris, W2PA
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:34 pm

UPDATE 21g

Update 21g is up. It is primarily a bug fix release as free time has been a bit short for last few weeks. I wanted to get it out before this weekend so here it is. It should not need a forced DB update if moving from 21f.

Important things to note :
  • gdi+ has been disabled and will be fully removed from the source at some point
  • TX EQs are now being applied when TX profiles are changed so if you get reports of bad audio, you know why ;)
  • lots of new midi stuff (thanks Sigi), I have not tested any of this
  • P1 timeout implementation (when radio is powered off with console still running etc) may not be implemented correctly. Waiting for info, but figured something better than nothing.

For those interested, 213 x 64bit downloads, vs, 20 x 32bit downloads for previous 21f version.

Cheers, Richie.

21g
fix: issue with \ being removed from -datapath fixed, and cleaned use of AppDataPath internally, thanks DL2XY
fix: scope2 top scope now works as expected (incorrect array counter being used)
fix: scope now renders in DX2 correctly using filled geometry
fix: scope views now work again in TX mode (spectra scope panadapter issue still exists - todo)
fix: TX EQ is now applied when changing TX profile. Previously you needed to move a TX EQ slider to make it happen. This also fixes start up problems where the TX EQ was not applied.
fix: P1 closedown issue resolved. Related to a fix made in 21a that made a change to ForceReset (please see 21a notes)
fix: fixed the checkVersion() function related to wdsp where the wdsp.dll version checks had been commented out. Now *10 for the wsdp version.c version number to match Versions.cs
fix: P1 will now time out and update the client to the powered off state if connection is lost. This was apparent when switching off the radio whilst the client was running, it would move into a non responsive state.
fix: 31/61dB step attenuation should be working again for radios such as 200D's. Previously would stop at 31dB visually although it would be changing if you clicked up beyond 31.
fix: tx/rx gain upper limit capped to 40dB in VAC1 cat commands for both TX/RX. Brings it inline with VAC2. Change by Sigi DH1KLM
add: FW version added to title bar
add: TX EQ button on front end now included when showing highlighted tx profile save items
add: midi command support for 2Tone that internally uses ZZUT
fix: ZZBT now changes RX2 band correctly
add: lots of midi commands (20+) added with source from Sigi DH1KLM, majority apply to RX2 but there are others
PS-A On Off, Move VFOB Down 100Khz, Move VFOB Up 100Khz, Close Thetis, Toggle TX VFOA VFOB, TUN Power Level
For RX2
Mode Next, Mode Previous, Filter Wider, Filter Narrower, AGC Mode Up, AGC Mode Down, CTU On Off, Mode SSB
Mode LSB, Mode USB, Mode DSB, Mode CW, Mode CWL, Mode CWU, Mode FM, Mode AM, Mode DIGU, Mode DIGL, Mode SAM
Mode DRM, AGC Mode, Squelch On Off, Squelch Level
change: all console MessageBox popups are now TOPMOST. Should fix issues where DB udpates and the like show message boxes below the console window and are susequently 'hidden'
change: gdi+ engine support removed
change: changed CTRL to SHIFT key when dragging min/max grids on panafall to link the two RX's. Previously conflicting with CTRL-right click for notch add
change: x86 and x64 now used in title bar instead of 32/62bit
Last edited by ramdor on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:25 pm

Thank you, Richie! The P1 closedown fix comes in handy, since I have got a 100D for check-up. The crashing Thetis was a bit annoying while I tried different f/w versions.
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
DL2XY

Postby DL2XY » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:50 pm

Thank you Richie!

Did a short check on ANAN100 (Hermes):

• fix: issue with \ being removed from -datapath fixed, and cleaned use of AppDataPath internally, thanks DL2XY
Everythings fine now.

• fix: scope2 top scope now works as expected (incorrect array counter being used)
Works perfect in RX.

• fix: scope views now work again in TX mode (spectra scope panadapter issue still exists - todo)
Signal is distorted, looks like aliasing due to wrong samplerate.

• fix: scope now renders in DX2 correctly using filled geometry
Cannot get the point on filled geometrie? A scope trace is a simple line by definition.
In distorted TX trace there are flashing up large areas occasionaly.

• fix: 31/61dB step attenuation should be working again for radios such as 200D's. Previously would stop at 31dB visually although it would be changing if you clicked up beyond 31.
Never had this problem on ANAN100 - until now! In 21g i cannot get higher than 31dB, even by typing in a value.

• add: midi command support for 2Tone that internally uses ZZTU
What is the parameter for 2Tone? Found this:
ZZTU0; disables TUNE.
ZZTU1;l enables TUNE.
ZZTU2; disables TUNE, then instantaneous reenables it.
ZZTU3; again enables TUNE.

Many thank for your time and work,
Walter

TX-Scope.png
TX-Scope.png (168.57 KiB) Viewed 8739 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:53 pm

Walter,

I will investigate that TX scope issue, seems to be more obvious at very short sample frame times.

ANAN100 has now been removed from the 31db limit. It sneaked its way in somehow ;) 21h will see that change at some point.

Ref the fill. If you look at 2.8.11 display.cs DrawScope (gdi source to make it easier) you will see it actually uses a min/max for each pixel and with that creates a enclosed complex filled shape which defines the scope display (the majority of work is done through DoScope or DoScope2 in audio.cs). The min/max comes into play with slow frame times as you can see in the pic below, and it is not as simple as a single point. There are a number of samples per pixel, which will require a min/max value of those samples. Anyway, short story is DX2 version of DoScope was only drawing max points, so gaps would show up from time to time. It has now been recoded to be the same as the GDI version, which is draw lines and then fill poly.

scope.jpg
scope.jpg (20.25 KiB) Viewed 8712 times

ZZTU should have been ZZUT in the patch notes as ZZTU is indeed TUNE as you found. Not sure what zztu2 or zztu3 do as they both return ?, to me when tested using the cat command tester. ZZUT0 is 2tone off, ZZUT1 is 2tone on.

R.
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:13 pm

Hi Ritchie,

i think i have found a bug: I tried Diversity to null an Interfering. Switch RX2 to ADC1 all is good, Ground BPF2 on TX is checked,
but when I TX (Mox/2Ton or tune) the RX2 comes not back. The signals in RX2 are around 25 -30 DB down.
Only a Bandswitch on RX2 from 80m to say 40m and back brings the RX 2 back, or i change the S-ATT from RX2 from 0 to 3db and back to 0

This happens also without Diversity. If I uncheck ground BPF2 on TX it is the same.

Thetis 21g 64 bit Fw 2.1.8

EDIT: If I change the S-ATT (RX1 TXing) when I TX the Gain-Line in RX2 goes way up !!!

73 Erwin
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:37 pm

Hi Erwin,

When I do that test, when off MOX rx2 returns to expected att and signals return to where expected. So not sure what is happening there Erwin, odd. I am sure people would have reported that with a 2nd antenna using rx2 and everything dropping down when coming off TX.

However, there does seem to be an issue with the TX ATT being applied even if the checkbox is off. After a quick test the issue also exists in 2.6.7 (29th Apr 2019). Not sure yet if this is just a visual thing or actually happening at the radio.

R.
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:51 pm

hi Ritchie.
its almost present, it it is with
or without diversity

73 Erwin
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:54 am

Found a bug when using the Andromeda display format. When clicking on Antenna it correctly switches to antenna#2, but another click does nothing.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:32 pm

va7qi wrote:Found a bug when using the Andromeda display format. When clicking on Antenna it correctly switches to antenna#2, but another click does nothing.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.

Hi Erik,

Having not used that format, which button exactly is it (screen shot), also, does it happen in base 2.8.11 original non patched release? Is it the tool bar switch or is it a specific andromeda button on the button bar?

Thanks, Richie.
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:25 pm

ramdor wrote:Hi Erwin,

When I do that test, when off MOX rx2 returns to expected att and signals return to where expected. So not sure what is happening there Erwin, odd. I am sure people would have reported that with a 2nd antenna using rx2 and everything dropping down when coming off TX.

However, there does seem to be an issue with the TX ATT being applied even if the checkbox is off. After a quick test the issue also exists in 2.6.7 (29th Apr 2019). Not sure yet if this is just a visual thing or actually happening at the radio.

R.

Hi Ritchie,

I think its real, because Diversity is not working after a TX-Period. I have to change the ATT on RX2 and than it works again.
I hope that is not a Firmware-Issue? Witch FW is on your 7000DLE MK2?

73 Erwin

a little more info: With RX2 switched to ADC0 RX2 comes back without Problems.
With RX2 switched to ADC1 the Problem is there.

And when I restart thetis and I have TXed before, the Problem with RX2 is there, I have to change the RX2 ATT or the RX2 Band

Return to “Thetis”